Vodacom's goal to cut prices of data and smartphones

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Vodacom's goal to cut prices of data and smartphones

Vodacom had a great 2019, reaching a number of important milestones, and has goals to cut prices in 2020, the network told MyBroadband.

Its achievements include reaching Level 1 BEE status, increasing its investment in network infrastructure, and reducing the cost to communicate.

"This is a highly capital-intensive industry, which means investing in the right technologies at the right time is a competitive advantage and is an area that enables us to deliver an exceptional customer experience in all of our markets," said Vodacom.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
They going to start advertising blended costs for their phones?

koeks525

Expert Member
Vodacom will reduce data prices, but will make up for the shortfall through other revenue streams. No such thing as a free lunch.

Perfect example is that auto-purchasing of data once a bundle runs dry

Reactions: Yuu

biometrics

Honorary Master
This company doesn't care that you've been a customer for 20+ years. No concern when I ported out, didn't even try to retain me. What happened to it's cheaper to retain a customer than gain a new one?

Swa

Honorary Master
Vodacom OOB
MV5BNzJlNjU4YTUtY2U5OS00NDUxLWFmMGEtMDhkYjQwYzdhZDk4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzEwNTIyMjU@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,705,1000_AL_.jpg

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
This company doesn't care that you've been a customer for 20+ years. No concern when I ported out, didn't even try to retain me. What happened to it's cheaper to retain a customer than gain a new one?
Because it's not anymore in their game... Their game is acquisition and more acquisition.

Granted this is short sighted but it's the way they seem to operate. Get new customers over keeping existing ones happy.

Reactions: Yuu

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Called VC cancellations about 4 days ago, got through to a very loud call center. Systems were down, so was asked to wait for a callback from someone else.
That took about 40 minutes, then had to re-verify myself and during that time the call dropped (again). After them calling back, they asked me why I wanted to cancel, this after there are multiple complaints that we opened about signal issues in our area...
1998 for the original contract supposedly, best they could do was offer me a R45 500MB contract to stay, not even a cancellation special or anything, just the normal, default SIM-only 500MB 24x month contract.

On Telkom Mobile now, haven't had a dropped call yet, and I thought Telkom was supposed to be worse...

richjdavies

Expert Member
What a useless article.

Any chance any of the claims, particularly the OOB claim can be verified?

mr_norris

Expert Member
When I see headlines like these, the first thing that comes to mind is more BS hourly / daily / weekly bundles.

Sl8er

Executive Member
And of course MR Jannie insisting they have reduced prices..........

Oh please, are you serious? :rolleyes:
They did reduce the prices.
If you add the effective total cost from the lower tier contracts and divide by the ratios in combination with the mid-lower high-tiered contracts...on the My XXL Super Smart for U, 250GB Daylight Savings NightOwl Top Up contract, for only R3999 over 48 months, you're effectively only paying 2c per TB
-vodacom

wizardofid

Executive Member
Oh please, are you serious? :rolleyes:
They did reduce the prices.
If you add the effective total cost from the lower tier contracts and divide by the ratios in combination with the mid-lower high-tiered contracts...on the My XXL Super Smart for U, 250GB Daylight Savings NightOwl Top Up contract, for only R3999 over 48 months, you're effectively only paying 2c per TB
-vodacom

Was referring to prepaid data, There was a thread about it.Where he insisted prices have gone down. I think we are in the 6th or 7th year now since last there was a price reduction on their 30day 1gig data bundle.