Vodafone Live billed me R10 every day until my airtime ran out

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed

Vodacom customers have taken to the company’s forum and MyBroadband to complain about content services being billed to their accounts without their permission.

According to a MyBroadband reader, who is a Vodacom customer and requested that his name not be published, he is being billed for “Vodafone Live” content despite not signing up for the service.

FaSMaN

Expert Member

Vodacom customers have taken to the company’s forum and MyBroadband to complain about content services being billed to their accounts without their permission.

According to a MyBroadband reader, who is a Vodacom customer and requested that his name not be published, he is being billed for “Vodafone Live” content despite not signing up for the service.
Good old vodacom, doing what vodacom does best...

garyc

Expert Member
I was one of those who got signed up for this service. It started the moment I installed the Vodacom app on my phone, but that may have been coincidence. In the end it took four hours in a Vodacom branch to unsubscribe. I was sent from one counter to another with them telling me that nothing could be done. By hour four a scene was developing so they decided to unsubscribe me. It took about one minute.

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
I also had one of those subs. Having been in the WASP industry for 7 years, I'm super cautious of what I do as I never sign up to services.

The fact that I could not unsubscribe using the standard opt out process for all wasps raises alarm bells on Vodacom is handling Vlive subs.

rubber_otter

Expert Member
I also had one of those subs. Having been in the WASP industry for 7 years, I'm super cautious of what I do as I never sign up to services.

The fact that I could not unsubscribe using the standard opt out process for all wasps raises alarm bells on Vodacom is handling Vlive subs.
Wait hold the phone. Were you in the WASP industry? As in you worked for a WASP?

NihilimSA

I had the same issue on a work phone.
I was repeatedly told that I was the stupid one and should double check what I click on or subscribe to.

I eventually proved with itemized bills that the Vodacom live subscription had been running on the number even before it was assigned to me. Before I even had the sim or phone. I was also told to log onto Vodacom live with my account (that did not exist) to unsubscribe. I never did. Forced them to remove it after I proved them wrong.

Vodacom obviously never admitted guilt or apologized but we all know that they are thieves and are getting away with it. They have no accountability and the people can do nothing about it. Thousands of people don't even know that they are victims of these criminals.

SoTrue

Expert Member
It is clear that Vodacom is making it very difficult to unsubscribe from the Vodacom Live theft service. First of all the details do not appear on your account, just Vodacom Live and the amount. You can't unsubscribe via the app or Website, the links that they provide take you nowhere or the particular site is down.

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Update – Vodacom responds

Vodacom was initially unable to provide comment on the matter before publication.

A Vodacom spokesperson has now responded to questions on the subject. Its statement is below.

Vodacom is investigating the case which MyBroadband has brought to its attention.

We are also fully committed to resolving the queries listed on our Forum as speedily as possible. While we cannot comment on individual cases until we have completed investigations, we encourage customers with queries on Vlive services to contact our call centre for resolution.

Vodacom recently saw an increase in complaints from customers who had asked to have the likes of Netflix charged to their Vodacom bill.

Previously, this reflected as a Vlive service on accounts. We have remedied this, so that it is clear on their bills what they are subscribed to.

It is also important to highlight that customers can buy games, music, and a variety of content through the Google Play store and have this charged directly to their Vodacom bills.

Vodafone and Vodacom Live are the same platform, referred to as ‘VLive’.

Vodacom reiterates that it has a zero-tolerance approach to any type of illegal activity that happens on our network and we take a hard-line in the event that a third-party contravenes any agreement they may have with Vodacom.

Craig

Honorary Master
If you are still on Vodacon, you deserve it. My colleague currently sharing an office with me took out a Vodacon contract in January, even after I told her they are crooks. "But she has been with them for so long...", ended up in tears because her airtime/data kept disappearing even when she wasn't anywhere near her phone.

Just told her to suck it up, she had been warned and still went ahead. I burnt my fingers with that mf's years ago, never again.

Syco

Exactly. They steal people's money, and nothing happens.
It would be nice if there was some oversight body with 'teeth' and not beholden that could slap massive fines on businesses like these for their blatant theft. R1billion per transgression would probably make them think twice!

TelkomUseless

Executive Member
It would be nice if there was some oversight body with 'teeth' and not beholden that could slap massive fines on businesses like these for their blatant theft. R1billion per transgression would probably make them think twice!
I can get behind such an idea.

2-3 years ago my dad was billed on his PRE-PAID account on a daily basis. He was on wifi 99% of the time (he is on pension)... but yet R5-10-20 on a daily/weekly basis. He kept log of it all. I did everything to check, unsub commands found here etc. Check on the vodacom portal site.. nothing. Went on for months...

Just gave up and replaced his sim.

roadhog

I see Vodacom also billed my R105 for something I did not subscribe to

Entertainment Services R 91.35 R 13.70 R 105.0

cozinsky

Expert Member

You can't subscribe from their own WASP by the standard process. Vodacom would never allow that - it would be too easy. You need to log into your Live account and unsubscribe from there.