Voice over Wifi - MTN on Cool Ideas

mrafiq1

Hi.

Just want to check with anyone else on Cool Ideas whether your VOWifi is working on MTN.

Cant seem to get it to work on my home network on CI , but when I go to my buddys home who is with Afrihost, it works perfectly.

Just want to check if it is my router (ASUS RT87) or if it is CI.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Possibly MTU related? Do you have any other issues accessing other services? Or alternatively DNS possibly.

mrafiq1

Possibly MTU related? Do you have any other issues accessing other services? Or alternatively DNS possibly.

No other issues with the service.
Vumatel Trenched so not sure if i can change MTU.
Also, DNS is automatically obtained by Router.

Perhaps i should try to change to google and see if it makes a difference.
I suspect it could be router related but dont want to invest in another router if it is ISP related.

Thats why i am checking if this is just me or if anyone else is having the same issues.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep

I suspect it could be router related but dont want to invest in another router if it is ISP related.

Thats why i am checking if this is just me or if anyone else is having the same issues.
Did you not opt to receive a router?

mrafiq1

Did you not opt to receive a router?

No. Decided against it when i initailly signed up a couple of years back.
Had my own router.
Upgraded to 1Gbps package during lockdown.

Tried changing DNS to google DNS. Still the same.

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep

On trenched MTU shouldn't be a problem then. This is very strange, haven't had to try and debug VoWiFi issues before. Is there any error message or anything displayed ?

mrafiq1

On trenched MTU shouldn't be a problem then. This is very strange, haven't had to try and debug VoWiFi issues before. Is there any error message or anything displayed ?

No error message. Just shows VoLTE.
Just weird.
Like i said earlier, i went to help my buddy who just moved to a new place set up his network.
Setup TP Link Decos for him and VoWiFi signal showed up immediatley on my phone once connected.

He is with Afrihost and Openserve though, so we not really comparing Apples with Apples.

In my mind though, it shouldnt make a difference. Perhaps its time to upgrade the Ol Router

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
It shouldn't make a difference indeed. MTN does have strict peering policies, and sometimes weird issues with regards to reverse path filtering etc.

@PBCool, can we maybe drop our direct peering session with them and see if it makes a difference? If we do have one that is.

Gambit

Expert Member
I use Vodacom VoWiFi on my iPhone with CI & Vumatel trenched. I'm not 100% sure about MTN but some time back, Vodacom made a change to their profile that favours VoLTE over VoWiFi. So only if the LTE signal strength is really low will it fall back to VoWiFi. So if your friends' house has poor LTE signal maybe this is why your phone switched to VoWiFi. I can force VoWifi by enabling aeroplane mode and then re-enabling wifi.

mrafiq1

I use Vodacom VoWiFi on my iPhone with CI & Vumatel trenched. I'm not 100% sure about MTN but some time back, Vodacom made a change to their profile that favours VoLTE over VoWiFi. So only if the LTE signal strength is really low will it fall back to VoWiFi. So if your friends' house has poor LTE signal maybe this is why your phone switched to VoWiFi. I can force VoWifi by enabling aeroplane mode and then re-enabling wifi.
Thanks.

I read about that issue u had in a previous thread.
I tried the flight mode and turning on wifi.

Then when i try calling, it says please turn off flight mode to continue the call.

Which then tells me its not connecting over VoWiFi

Fcon_Vpro

Expert Member
Hi.

Just want to check with anyone else on Cool Ideas whether your VOWifi is working on MTN.

Cant seem to get it to work on my home network on CI , but when I go to my buddys home who is with Afrihost, it works perfectly.

Just want to check if it is my router (ASUS RT87) or if it is CI.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks
Check this thread for more info:

We have found that MTN vowifi only works on some ISP's.
We are all just hoping MTN launches their service further and opens up to more ISP's.

Gambit

Expert Member

We are all just hoping MTN launches their service further and opens up to more ISP's.
Thats pretty useless then. I have found VoWifi on Vodacom really useful when travelling overseas. Nice to be able to make/receive calls and sms's without paying exorbitant roaming charges. Now if we can travel once again that would be nice.

mrafiq1

@PBCool @TheRoDent

Any plans to reach out to MTN to see if this service can be activated perhaps?