Voicy does Norway

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
@Voicy

How would you describe social attitudes in Norway? How liberal or conservative are people?

How would you describe the government? Is it heavy handed? Do you feel "free" or is it a nanny state?

Voicy

Honorary Master
@Voicy

How would you describe social attitudes in Norway? How liberal or conservative are people?
Yes.
How would you describe the government? Is it heavy handed? Do you feel "free" or is it a nanny state?
Also yes.

There's a norwegian phrase "både og" ....roughly meaning "both and both".

The answers vary GREATLY depending on the region you live in...much like the US. If that answers your questions.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Maybe @Voicy misunderstood what photos I was talking about and ran away. Need more photos of Norway please.

Voicy

Honorary Master
Maybe @Voicy misunderstood what photos I was talking about and ran away. Need more photos of Norway please.

Awh man, just when I got all my boudoir shots developed you go and cancel on me. :(

Anyway, as luck would have it I'm currently in Svalbard (4th time's a charm). I've written about Svalbard before on here. It's a fascinating place and there's a reason that you'll find a ton of documentaries on it, as well as weird facts and features.

Fun fact: You don't need a visa to come to Svalbard and you can stay as long as you like - but there are catches. You need a job offer in order to rent a place to stay - and the only flights in and out are from Norway, so you first have to get a Schengen Visa in order to fly there...unless you want to take your chances by boat. (Not recommended).

Snapped some pics, hope you enjoy:

The view flying into the Peninsula:

svalbard flyin.jpg

My poor attempt at a Panorama view just outside of town:

svalbard panorama2.jpg

A view of the town.

longyearbyen.jpg

Voicy

Honorary Master
The main pedestrian street through all the shops - leading down to the university.

longyearbyen2.jpg

Don't feed (yourself to) the Bears!

Polar bears are serious business. You're not allowed to step foot outside of town without 1 person in your party having a gun/rifle with them.

Just a few months ago a Dutch tourist was mauled to death while camping right next to town - they had to shoot the bear which died in the airport parking lot. Sad case.

svalbard sign1.jpg

svalbard sign2.jpg

I didn't get a chance to stop by the Seed Vault this time, it's all blocked up now due to construction and nonsense. I've managed to go inside once for work - weird place indeed.

Voicy

Honorary Master
Nope, doubt very much you'll see them unless you go on expedition somewhere.

Little Mac

Honorary Master
Well-timed as well, since yesterday was Norway's national election and I was automatically added to the voter roll. So I voted for the 1st time as a norwegian citizen.
Congrats boet!
Not bad for a Port Rex boi

Voicy

Honorary Master
Took the floof for a bit of a trip around the island to find some new places.

1631657008705.png

Even though we're in the deep arctic, there are some hidden gems around where i live:

1631657107159.png

1631657136054.png

This is in the field right across from my house for the floof's daily poops.

1631657217090.png

This last one was taken in a place called Lofoten on the same island range as mine, which is a bigger tourist trap than Cape Town in December.

1631657341396.png