VoIP calls on your iPhone

ads

It works! A call to my Jo'burg SkypeIn number rings on an iPhone on MTN running Fring. Surely this can't last.

Last edited:

mulderpf

You do realise that this is not allowed on MTN's network???

"In terms of the current regulatory regime in South Africa, please note that these tariffs and the MTN GPRS, GPRS+, EDGE or 3G technologies may not be used to transfer or generate Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) traffic. Should it be found that VoIP traffic was carried over the MTN network using these tariffs or technologies, MTN reserves the right to cancel the agreement that you have with MTN, with immediate effect. You will also be charged retrospectively at R21.93 per Megabyte (VAT excluded) for any VoIP traffic transferred by such means."

http://www.mtn.co.za/Support/Legal/TermsAndConditions/Pages/ExtendedData.aspx

cookiemonster

It works! A call to my Jo'burg SkypeIn number rings on an iPhone on MTN running Fring. Surely this can't last.

I've been making VOIP calls with Fring with my Nokia for over a year. Now that it's available on the iPhone the operators are going to ban it? :erm:

phoneJunky

Executive Member
You can use VOIP on MTN3G but if they find out they will charge you a huge amount

swb

Is there a significant difference between 3G data costs for VoIP compared to a standard cellular call?

K

kingrob

Would be cool if Vodacom remove the block for Skype calls.

I promise to still use my Vodafone Passport when I'm overseas. :)

caroper

Executive Member
Before long all operators, Wireless and/or cabled, will have to face up to the fact that they are data carriers and adjust the business model appropriately. The difference between Voice and data is long gone and new technologies/protocols are emerging almost daily. They will be chasing their tails and wasting money just policing the traffic for the sake of pretending to be Voice Carriers.

Look at the gadgets hitting the market in the past year, Cellphones, Media Players, TV's, EBooks, Laptops, tablet PC's even cameras all now connect to the internet by 3G, WiFi or Ethernet and carry some combination of Voice, Video, Data, Media etc. The latest gadget, iPad, carries the lot in one box.

Lets drop the old paradigms and get with the 21st century.

What we need is a bandwidth allocation and a Pipe. Let us allocate that bandwidth between, voice, data and media according to our needs and allow us to use it on any network.

After all they do call themselves Network Operators, it is time they started acting as such and dropped the analogue mind set that makes them behave as a telephone operators.

edit: I was surprised that the current survey didn't ask about VoIP, every one I know is useing it in one form or another, and in some cases got ADSL just to use voice.

Last edited:

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Doesn't the iPhone support SIP calls ?
I know you are supposed to be able to run TruPhone on it ? TruPhone on Symbian is amazing.

thesones

I would imagine that cellphone operators make most of their money from the exobitant prices they charge for voice calls.

I don't see them giving those massive profits up without a fight!