VoIP cost warning - MTN may charge you R25 per MB

CeeBee

Expert Member
they are really wanting to loose customers? we don't like being told what or not to use the data we pay for :(

ajax

Executive Member
Probably just scare tactics from MTN. Competition will take care of this problem. You just need one provider not to charge this higher fee and said provider would have a marketing edge on their products.

HosstheBoss

Do I have it right that with VOIP there will data usage registered on both sides? So both parties end up paying for the call as opposed to traditional calls where the caller pays? What would the megs per minute usage be on a VOIP call?

Don't know if I'm being a cheapskate but I don't want any of my mates on MTN giving me a VOIP call :D

cerebus

Honorary Master
Seems like they're terrified of VOIP. Awful business practice that should be legislated against.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
“Should it be found that VoIP traffic was carried over the MTN network using these tariffs or technologies, MTN reserves the right to cancel the agreement that you have with MTN, with immediate effect,” MTN states.

Sweet, so if you are one of the unlucky ones with a contract with these *******s you now have an out.

BGE

Expert Member
Nice move MTN... p!ss off droves of potential data customers because they may or may not use VOIP. So now any customer wanting to do VOIP calls will rather find a more forward thinks service provider. Well done!

K3NS31

Expert Member
I'd love to see them try to enforce this. If nothing else I'm sure it won't be legal under the National Credit Act. (Any lawyers / financial types care to comment?)
Either way, just use SSL encrypted VOIP apps people - eg. Skype rather than Whatsapp, who are notorious for lack of security.

Mtn - dumb kuntz

_TrXtR_

Expert Member
Nice move MTN... p!ss off droves of potential data customers because they may or may not use VOIP. So now any customer wanting to do VOIP calls will rather find a more forward thinks service provider. Well done!

This is not something new because, it's always been in the contract. But if I recall, it was R80/R160 a meg many years back. Check your oldest agreement and you will find this.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
As others have said, good luck to MTN trying to detect encrypted VOIP traffic. Those in the know will simply setup their own PBXes and connect to it using an encrypted connection on some obscure port.

nictron

I hope someone from MTN is watching these forums!

If they really want to damage their reputation they should start threatening action like that. I am looking at going onto an MTN APN for our company and IM and VOIP is a part of the traffic that goes over that medium.

Looks like I should put that on ice for a while!

ajax

Executive Member
And what about us okes on Afrihost APN? Will MTN charge Afrihost who then has to "after the fact" charge us extra?
An admin nightmare this. Just not do-able I think.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
So what they are saying is "dont use our data anymore, rather get yourself data from Afrihost and use that APN"
Aiight, if Im still with you when that happens MTN I will do just that.

Totempole

Expert Member
When I started reading this, I thought it was a joke or rumour. This is crazy. They still can't stop you form using VOIP over Wifi when you're at home...

... but that would assume the party you're contacting is also using wifi. :(

Allin

Expert Member
MTN and VC can charge R25/kb for all I care. Cell C calls are inexpensive and affordable at current rates.

cerebus

Honorary Master
I still don't get why Whatsapp VOIP is more threatening than Skype which has already been around for years.

damian24

I just cancelled two 3g connections with Afrihost... reason for cancelling...

screw MTN and the crappy VoIP warnings

Sorry Afrihost, but I'm taking a principled approach of not dealing with MTN services at all, even through a proxy.

CeeBee

Expert Member
MTN and VC can charge R25/kb for all I care. Cell C calls are inexpensive and affordable at current rates.
i guess MTN (and Vodacom) would be within their rights if they start doing this... if u agreed to their terms of use.
but it really is bad faith... we pay for the data, we should be able to use as we want to.
and if MTN starts enforcing it, the other networks may follow, if MTN gets away with it. ... again, bad faith.
south african consumers arent entirely stupid... we tend to find solutions for restrictions, be it VOIP, Hulu, Itunes.
it will just be better for the companies involved to make it easier for us :)