VoIP cost warning - MTN may charge you R25 per MB

znh

So effectively they are saying, no VOIP no Skype, no facebook, no whatsapp, no nothing allowed on their network. Afrihost made a huge mistake. If I were them I would be looking for another business partner. Or maybe I made the mistake choosing Afrihost...

The day will come where these arrogant networks will be replaced a subscriber mesh network and we all route each others traffic.

Electron1

Expert Member
MTN should change their motto to "Rape the customer any way you can!"

dominic

Legal Expert: Telecoms
packet is a packet is a packet but we won't play this game until we reach a commercial tipping point. this is definitely a fight worth having

vangar316

I've briefly gone through the contract subscriber docs - no mention of VOIP restrictions (or any other usage restrictions) on data. I doubt that they could retroactively apply this.

MTN terms and conditions for subscribers

Addendum to terms and conditions, making provision for CPA

Somebody should nail them for this and turn it into a court case, rediculous. And I thought Vodacom was bad, thank goodness I didnt switch.

They can change their slogan to MTN - Everyday we WEEEEEEEEEEEEE! :crying::crying::crying::crying: about everything.

LeonG

How are they going to monitor this? For example I create my own VOIP app that uses some random port over UDP and it sends encrypted packets. I mean how will they know if the traffic is VOIP or me playing a game?
I don't want to play Minecraft and then suddenly be charged R25/meg :)

And I don't want to use the ****ty codecs that are forced on me when doing a normal phone-call. I want a choice!

Last edited:

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
packet is a packet is a packet but we won't play this game until we reach a commercial tipping point. this is definitely a fight worth having

Here's an easy game to play.
Here's an easy thing to say:

If a packet hits a pocket on a socket on a port,
And the bus is interrupted as a very last resort,
And the address of the memory makes your floppy disk abort,
Then the socket packet pocket has an error to report!

If your cursor finds a menu item followed by a dash,
And the double-clicking icon puts your window in the trash,
And your data is corrupted 'cause the index doesn't hash,
Then your situation's hopeless, and your system's gonna crash!

You can't say this?
What a shame sir!
We'll find you
Another game sir.

If the label on the cable on the table at your house,
Says the network is connected to the button on your mouse,
But your packets want to tunnel on another protocol,
That's repeatedly rejected by the printer down the hall,

And your screen is all distorted by the side effects of gauss
So your icons in the window are as wavy as a souse,
Then you may as well reboot and go out with a bang,
'Cause as sure as I'm a poet, the sucker's gonna hang!

When the copy of your floppy's getting sloppy on the disk,
And the microcode instructions cause unnecessary risc,
Then you have to flash your memory and you'll want to RAM your ROM.
Quickly turn off the computer and be sure to tell your mom!

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
So effectively they are saying, no VOIP no Skype, no facebook, no whatsapp, no nothing allowed on their network. Afrihost made a huge mistake. If I were them I would be looking for another business partner. Or maybe I made the mistake choosing Afrihost...

The day will come where these arrogant networks will be replaced a subscriber mesh network and we all route each others traffic.

I will use Afrihost until that day come. When it happens, I'll either leave Afrihost or join the fight. Still too early to say though.

Randux

Expert Member
Holp up. MTN sells data at high rates, now they want to dictate how you use it? Can't believe these clowns.

anthor

Does anyone know if they'd be able to detect traffic as VoIP if you connected your phone to a local proxy server?

fs87

If i buy data i should not be told how to use it.

In any case mtn has such poor 3g and lte coverage that you cannot make voip calls successfully in most places. I have both an mtn and vodacom data card and travel lots. mtn data is always slow, usually on edge.

One question, would skype be charged at R25 as well?

K3NS31

Expert Member
Here's an easy game to play.
Here's an easy thing to say:

If a packet hits a pocket on a socket on a port,
snip...

LMAO excellent! Where'd you find that?

Also, I think the original article is probably an example of an executive talking to the media without checking in with the PR / legal department first. Probably get his @ss fired soon.

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
Does MTN enjoy shafting themselves?

This will hurt the tatters of the CTR suit they currently have in court
This makes the prospects of wholesale data sold to VoIP providers (which is a good way to offset the asymmetry in the CTR regulations)
This violates in the worst possible manner the ideal of net neutrality and MTN
The notion is wholly unenforcable and makes an ass of MTNs contracts.

If MTN were to create an option for prioritization of VoIP traffic at a higher per gig price (and sold only in bundles of a gig or more) it would be a different story.

10i

Expert Member
I heard from MTN staff a while back that MTN used to charge R28 per MB for mxit data.

They don't want to loose revenue from phone calls, but in the process they are making people hate their products and charges.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
This isn't news. It's an 8-year old T&C that someone probably forgot to update. It has nothing to do with Whatsapp.

A quick google shows dozens of articles on these very T&C's over the years. Hell, 8 years ago, R21.93 might have been giving a discount on VoIP :)

https://www.google.com/search?q=You...e=lnt&tbs=cdr:1,cd_min:2006,cd_max:20012&tbm=

I guess every now and then someone comes across it, bursts a forehead vein and writes an article about it.

envo

Expert Member
FNB uses VOIP on their app, does this mean MTN is suddenly going to charge me R25 per mb?! WTF??