VoIP cost warning - MTN may charge you R25 per MB

envo

Expert Member
50mb of voip is about 125 minutes of talk time

125 minutes @ R0.99 = R123.75
50mb of voip @ R25/mb = R1250

**** you MTN

malcolmm

What happens in the case whereby the customer makes use of another vendors APN solution, which in part makes use of the MTN network. I am paying for my 2GB worth of data monthly, with no contractual agreement with MTN, yet I am using their network. From what I understand my vendor of choice has an agreement with MTN, therefore I would still get my 2GB without incurring additional costs as my vendor has not stipulated this?

StevenC

Expert Member

LOL! :D

eMpTyN. If you can't aim high, you can always aim for Mampara of the Year.

Vodacom is just lapping this up. But hey, if you can let your rival shoot themselves in the foot and then put said foot in mouth, I would be overjoyed too. I am just surprised they haven't colluded to keep the prices high (as usual).

RichardG

Honorary Master
I don't like dictatorship! We living in a democracy I can do what I want with my data but closing such doors goes to show that corporate greed plays a very important factor!!!

Last night there was an interesting discussion on Interface!!! People should catch a wake-up call and cancel their contracts and port to another network which brings value for your money.

cozinsky

Expert Member
In any case mtn has such poor 3g and lte coverage that you cannot make voip calls successfully in most places. I have both an mtn and vodacom data card and travel lots. mtn data is always slow, usually on edge.QUOTE]

So true! Who cares about their exorbitant rates. VOIP will not work on their EDGE networks.

entrepr

Expert Member
What happens in the case whereby the customer makes use of another vendors APN solution, which in part makes use of the MTN network. I am paying for my 2GB worth of data monthly, with no contractual agreement with MTN, yet I am using their network. From what I understand my vendor of choice has an agreement with MTN, therefore I would still get my 2GB without incurring additional costs as my vendor has not stipulated this?

When I looked at the APN wholesale contract (many years ago) there was a clause prohibiting voip. Not sure if it stayed in.

I honestly can't see this clause being invoked though. I think it was mybb and not MTN that raised this issue now

Gatecrasher

Executive Member
This is mischievous reporting. MTN is not warning anyone. Its just lifted from out-of-date terms and conditions. They even say MTN did not comment before going to press, ergo "MTN warns" did not happen at all in the time frame of this article.

Meanwhile Vodacom is all cosy and WhatsApp-embracing by comparison in a sister article. Editorial bias? Hmmm.

ld13

Honorary Master
Two nights ago I was researching this very topic ... found an article on MyBB, from back in 2012:

MTN and Vodacom said that users are allowed to use voice over IP (VoIP) services on their networks, but that they reserve the right to change this in future.
MTN previously warned that its mobile broadband network may not be used to transfer or generate Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) traffic. The company further warned subscribers that VoIP traffic may be charged at R25 per megabyte (MB).
The MTN terms and conditions stated that “the MTN GPRS, GPRS+, EDGE or 3G technologies may not be used to transfer or generate Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) traffic”.
MTN however clarified the situation, explaining that these were their old Terms and Conditions (T&C) and that their subscribers are free to use VoIP services on their mobile data network.
“MTN does not block VoIP over our network. There are a number of MTN customers who do use VoIP services over our network and are charged at normal data rates,” said Mapula Bodibe, MTN’s general manager for consumer segments.
Vodacom also confirmed that their subscribers may use VoIP services on their data network without any fear of higher data prices or facing the risk of having their service discontinued.

I'm more inclined to believe this 2012 statement as that is how I recall it - old T&C, ignore it. This issue seems to pop up every few years.

j4ck455

Executive Member
MTN keeps forgetting to update those archaic Terms and Conditions, I considered saying that this is interesting but the reality is that people would be more surprised if MTN ever decided to emerge from the dark ages.

das Toktokken

Honorary Master
It's an 8-year old news story, and a T&C page that MTN forgot to update. But hey, it's great link-bait.
And that's not funny? :D
As one of the worlds richest mobile companies, MTN needs a swift kick up the rear. Reality is that they don't need SA business.

garp

Executive Member
Apart from the unenforceable legality and ease of technical workarounds that render this threat meaningless, you would think by now that technology companies would have learned that the best way to survive and thrive is to wholeheartedly embrace new technology. What they should be doing if they had half an ounce of business sense is focussing on their data business and actually promoting services like VOIP, because in the long term this is where all the revenue will inevitably be.

I've been on quite a few networks overseas where the operators recognize this inevitability and even encourage and profit from it by providing a built in VOIP option for a much lower rate. In Thailand, for instance, the operators have an option where you can pay a lower rate if you dial a prefix before the number which switches your call to VOIP - the call quality is not as good, so it is a trade off, but a very popular option and I guarantee you that networks that don't offer innovative services around VOIP and data will bite the dust eventually.

K3NS31

Expert Member
snip.... In Thailand, for instance, the operators have an option where you can pay a lower rate if you dial a prefix before the number which switches your call to VOIP - the call quality is not as good, so it is a trade off, but a very popular option and I guarantee you that networks that don't offer innovative services around VOIP and data will bite the dust eventually.

When were you there? I used that option in December to call SA from Thailand and the quality was really good.