VoIP cost warning - MTN may charge you R25 per MB

garp

Executive Member
When were you there? I used that option in December to call SA from Thailand and the quality was really good.

Glad to know it still works - it was quite a while back (2010) which just goes to show how backward our networks are. IMHO it's a really nice compromise from the networks - they still get some revenue which they can put into providing better VOIP QOS and the user wins on a lower rate. And it allows those who don't want to fiddle with Skype or who don't have phones that can run VOIP apps to benefit.

Last edited:

das Toktokken

Honorary Master
Glad to know it still works - it was quite a while back (2010) which just goes to show how backward our networks are. IMHO it's a really nice compromise from the networks - they still get some revenue which they can put into providing better VOIP QOS and the user wins on a lower rate. And it allows those who don't want to fiddle with Skype or who don't have phones that can run VOIP apps to benefit.

What happened to skaap and others like it? Do they still exist?
http://mg.co.za/article/2006-09-26-move-over-skype-here-comes-skaap

hvr

Bye Bye Empty-N

I've been with MTN since 2000.

I will be leaving the suckers this year.

SilverNodashi

Expert Member
oh, boohoo! What these giant bullies don't realize, is that somewhere, someone is already doing this at a cheaper rate and making profits. They're going to loose a boat load clients once Whatsup has free VOIP, and Facebook offer fast cheap internet access to the masses!

krycor

Honorary Master
bahaha.. while there may not be a precedent set on the mobile front just yet, im sure like with Telkom Landlines and ADSL.. they will need to accept it as a equal citizen "on paper" if the VoIP suppliers take this up with ICASA. Basically amounts to unfair competition and technically they, MTN should be offering an alternative premium(in quality guarrentee not price) service to compete.

I think someone with balls and things to lose.. VOX? should take this up with the Competition Commission.. probably result in a hefty fine too :p Perhaps even FNB etc.. If i recall correctly they too have a VoIP service in their App and SMS too. MWeb does the same too. <-- why are these guys quiet? Consumers should complain to them but i guess no-one presently uses those services as a primary and a freebie supplier (app-2-app instead of app-2-fixed/mobile has a greater uptake presently)

Last edited:

Valerion

Expert Member
Very poor and damaging journalism if thats the case...

If it's so damaging, why don't they update their T&C's then? Shouldn't these things be reviewed every few years to ensure they are compliant with the law? After 2 years I would have expected that they would just drop it. It reflects very badly on their legal department.

And no, old and potentially bad clauses in a contract that's been pointed out 2 years ago should be pointed out by the media until the company in question fixes it.

ld13

Honorary Master
If it's so damaging, why don't they update their T&C's then?

It was an old site, with a copy-paste edition of their T&C, before they replaced the whole website. The page in question does not even exist anymore. All of their legalese seems to me in one spot now.

zamicro

Expert Member
If it's so damaging, why don't they update their T&C's then? Shouldn't these things be reviewed every few years to ensure they are compliant with the law? After 2 years I would have expected that they would just drop it. It reflects very badly on their legal department.

And no, old and potentially bad clauses in a contract that's been pointed out 2 years ago should be pointed out by the media until the company in question fixes it.

I were thinking along similar lines. What most people seem to misunderstand, is that these are valid tariffs, filed by MTN and Vodacom at Icasa. They can at anytime start to use it.

Vodacom, if you have no intention of charging it, why do you still have this charge?

Marc Caldwell

I'm on an MTN Broadband 10g+8g package (Sim only, own modem), renewed from a similar previous 24 month MTN contract.
My basic subs fee is R788.60.
My charges for Jan 2014 (R849.00), Feb (R849.00), March (R953.99), April (R4489.15), May (R3595.78), June (R3989.02). The extra items are for "Package Switched Data Calls"
I work at Fort Hare in Alice, and my home is Durban. I need to keep in touch with wife and family there. I used the previous MTN contract for Skype, which expired December.
In renewing the contract (actually a new contract), I made absolutely clear that my needs were for a package that allowed me to use Skype. On that basis, I took out this contract.
If I'm now being charged for VoIP, is this not an unfair practice?
VoIP warning – you may be charged R25 per MB

MTN is warning customers that they may be charged R25 per MB, and even have their services cancelled, if they use the data network for VoIP calls