VOIP handset for elderly

Suurlemoen

I'm trying to set up VOIP for my father who is in his eighties. This is to replace his telkom landline. He has a fibre connection with Webafrica.

1) Which handset would work for him and where can I buy it? Something that looks as much as possible like an old fashioned landline phone with big buttons would be great.

2) Is it possible to set up more than one handset for him? For example one in the kitchen, one in the bedroom, and how would this be done? I've looked at the wireless handsets and the buttons are all too small for him to manage.

Pandarye

I have zero experience with VOIP phones so maybe others can chime on on this suggestion:

Would it not be easier for OP to use one or more ATA adapter/s so that his father can simply continue using his existing handsets?

Suurlemoen

Oh I did not know that was possible. So he can use an existing analog landline phone, and connect it with an ATA adaptor?

maumau

Honorary Master
From what I know it would be cruel to ask an old man to use VOIP, shitty sound quality, unreliable etc. etc

........... perhaps somebody here knows of a decent one but I don't.

Suurlemoen

Oh no really? Is VOIP that bad? We have to get rid of the Telkom line as it keeps getting cut off and is an endless problem. My father can't use smart phones, he gets confused by them. We got him one of those special cell phones for the elderly but it's not much better. He's often by himself and it's important that he has a phone.

Jean Claude Vaaldamme

Expert Member

argh

I'm trying to set up VOIP for my father who is in his eighties. This is to replace his telkom landline. He has a fibre connection with Webafrica.

1) Which handset would work for him and where can I buy it? Something that looks as much as possible like an old fashioned landline phone with big buttons would be great.

2) Is it possible to set up more than one handset for him? For example one in the kitchen, one in the bedroom, and how would this be done? I've looked at the wireless handsets and the buttons are all too small for him to manage.
A phone working through a router needs an electricity supply to the router to work. For loadshedding & other electrical outages, get a power backup for the router. A basic cellphone, not a smartphone, might be an alternative to VOIP. For cheapest calling rates, look at Cell C's 66c/min prepaid, or Cell C's prepaid anynet calling plans. I suggest you phone VOIP service suppliers for advice. There is also a lot of information on VOIP in these forums, search the forums.

Suurlemoen

This looks promising! So it's basically a cell phone, but with a "landline like" handset, is that correct? .
One downside is that he won't be able to keep his landline number like he could with a Voip phone?

argh

This looks promising! So it's basically a cell phone, but with a "landline like" handset, is that correct? .
One downside is that he won't be able to keep his landline number like he could with a Voip phone?
Telkom used to, and may still, provide a cellphone that looks like a landline phone, for people in areas where they discontinued landline phones and ADSL lines due to copper theft. People opting for this kept their landline numbers.

3Gee

Expert Member
I just had Telkom VoIP added to my existing Fibre.

Telkom can port your existing landline number to VoIP.

You then use the existing phone jacks in your home and continue using the old fashion landline phone

Good luck getting someone at Telkom to process the port order. They are utterly useless.

Reactions: Yuu

Diesel44

You can port your Telkom number to Voip using Havex. Think they will charge +/- R160-00.

You can then download the Havex app on his cellphone. You can then receive and make calls using the the app via your WiFi connection.

This will probably be the cheapest option.

3Gee

Expert Member
I'm curious to find out what if i can route VOIP calls from my Fibre ONT to my iPhone as the ONT is connected to my Router.

Calls to my iPhone when I'm on my local home network.

DeSLAM

Watch out for these things - if his 3G signal is poor where he lives, or where the phone stands, its just going to give him headaches. Telkom sell similar ones, and you can keep your landline number also - if you are still with them. just make very sure his house has good 3G reception otherwise you are going to be sorry.

Did you know you can use a cellphone with Freshphone on it , over his wifi router? You can also port old Telkom numbers to Freshphone - takes a few days, but works. If he has not given up his old land line yet.

Or just put a Freshphone account on an ATA and plug the ATA into his router on the one end and into his existing analogue phone on the other. Done.

An HT802 ATA will take 2 analogue lines with different numbers. Or if you want to just use one of the RJ11 ports for one analogue phone, They work fine.

No need to buy new phones for him either - he can use his old analogue phone he already has.

Last edited:

Ron56

I just had Telkom VoIP added to my existing Fibre.

Telkom can port your existing landline number to VoIP.

You then use the existing phone jacks in your home and continue using the old fashion landline phone

Good luck getting someone at Telkom to process the port order. They are utterly useless.
Well done You gave me hope. Perhaps Telkom will get my VOIP functioning one day.