VoIP: The good, the bad and the ugly

Grep

You can almost always hear a VoIP call and we just don't have the infrastructure as of yet.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Never had any problems with inter-branch VoIP calls - though those are fibre links so maybe thats why.

I don't get why the article suggests using a VPN to get past NAT issues though? I was under the impression that a STUN server is the correct solution for that & gets rid of the overheads as well.

VoIP over cell tech is pretty bleak though in my experience (skype, viber etc).

pedruid

Expert Member
:):)VoipStunt is pretty good. 120 days free for Euros 10.00 which when used up has love charges until you run out. Phone landlin or mobile.

Peon

Expert Member
voip voip voip.... quickest way to break a table in 2 pieces. Must have been cheap wood.

moklet

Expert Member
I use voipbuster and in 95% of the calls there are no issues at all, (but it is over wifi/adsl, not cellular). Basically I call for next to nothing overseas :)

Wasabee!

Executive Member
Fibre/diginet/broadlink connectivity with VLANs and proper routing means 0 issues.

Who does VOIP over ADSL/cellular anyhow? :/ Maybe some residential users but no businesses (unless they like gambling).

Peon

Expert Member
Fibre/diginet/broadlink connectivity with VLANs and proper routing means 0 issues.

Who does VOIP over ADSL/cellular anyhow? :/ Maybe some residential users but no businesses (unless they like gambling).

You make good points. But when you have an office with 5-10 people its hard to argue for a fibre link. Dedicated adsl line with a ViBe router does work better. But still expensive for the company that doesnt understand why it cant work on their existing dsl.

Wasabee!

Executive Member
You make good points. But when you have an office with 5-10 people its hard to argue for a fibre link. Dedicated adsl line with a ViBe router does work better. But still expensive for the company that doesnt understand why it cant work on their existing dsl.

Have you seen the price of fibre in some places? It is cheaper than ADSL. In Century City here in CPT, the property developers didn't put Telkom infrastructure in. So there is only fibre available. And because everyone has it, it is super cheap. You only need a 1Mb line for some small business due to then 32Kb/s for each VOIP call.

So depending on where you are, you might be able to consolidate your costs and go for fibre. No more line rentals x XX. Viva, the revolution has begun! :D

Peon

Expert Member
Have you seen the price of fibre in some places? It is cheaper than ADSL. In Century City here in CPT, the property developers didn't put Telkom infrastructure in. So there is only fibre available. And because everyone has it, it is super cheap. You only need a 1Mb line for some small business due to then 32Kb/s for each VOIP call.

So depending on where you are, you might be able to consolidate your costs and go for fibre. No more line rentals x XX. Viva, the revolution has begun! :D

Up here in North West fibre is a nice idea with good intentions. I believe Symmetrical DSL should be offered to business clients by Telkon. A 1Mb Symmetrical DSL line with Vibe would be magic. But Telkon doesnt care understandably.

moklet

Expert Member

I do as many others, I even used to do it over analogue when international used to be very expensive.

Last edited:

kianm

Honorary Master
I do as many others, I even used to do it over analogue when international used to be very expensive.

We once did Voip over a dedicated ADSL line and if it worked for you I guess we were unlucky because we ended up cancelling it due to endless quality problems

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
You can almost always hear a VoIP call and we just don't have the infrastructure as of yet.

I've had clients who claimed to be totally anti-voip but who were completely fooled (for example when we switched the pbx between the pri trunk and a voip line).

The truth is, if the line quality is good, you can't tell the difference.

Moreover with the high-def codecs, the quality is noticeably better than for a standard Telkom line.

calypso

Expert Member
We testing it at out offices. One day it works great, the next day calls to one particular network will be so garbled it's unusable.
Then they wanna say that the 40mb dedicated VDSL line is not good enough.