Volkswagen Caravelle Conversion / VW 2.1 to Toyota 4Y

Lourens

Can anyone direct me to a site or resources on how to convert a VW Caravelle 2.1 engine to a 4Y Toyota engine - so many Taxi's can't be wrong! I need to know where to get a conversion kit and the tipe of gearbox I should use with the 2.2 Toyota engine.

I am down in Cape Town and is planning on taking this task on as a DIY project.

I'll adopt any spare parts you no longer need.

Tnx,

Lourens

Fazda

Honorary Master
It would be a hell of a lot easier to just buy a 2.5 Caravelle with the correct engine in it already!!

If you are desperate for a conversion, the tried and tested one was always the Ford 3 litre V6 one, and you will probably get adaptors and so on a hell of a lot easier than going the Toyota route.

Paul_S

Expert Member
the tried and tested one was always the Ford 3 litre V6 one

JD Conversions.
The V6 burble sounds really nice but it's the old Ford Essex 3.0 V6 and it's not a very powerful engine by todays standards.
They put out 103kW and 240Nm IIRC but SAMCOR continued making them up till 2000 and there is a 117kW fuel injected version.
They are very heavy though! All cast iron including the heads! Maybe the newer ones that SAMCOR made have aluminium heads.

wetkit

Expert Member
Best VW conversion is with the Audi 500 engine, that is the 5 cylinder one.
Problem is that you always going to loose some space in the back with a normal engine compared to a boxer engine.
Thinking about the boxer engine, why not look at a Porsh or Scoobi engine?

Paul_S

Expert Member
Thinking about the boxer engine, why not look at a Porsh or Scoobi engine?

Scoobie is an option.
The most popular Subaru engine that is used in Bug and Bus conversions overseas is the EJ22 series.
They come in N/A and turbo forms and most will probably fit with little body work modifications.
Just Google for "VW T2 EJ22" and you'll find plenty of Youtube clips and websites detailing the conversion.
That being said it would probably be better to go the Toyota route because you'll find local support and spares more easily than an exotic Subaru conversion.

Fazda

Honorary Master
Scoobie is an option.
The most popular Subaru engine that is used in Bug and Bus conversions overseas is the EJ22 series.
They come in N/A and turbo forms and most will probably fit with little body work modifications.
Just Google for "VW T2 EJ22" and you'll find plenty of Youtube clips and websites detailing the conversion.
That being said it would probably be better to go the Toyota route because you'll find local support and spares more easily than an exotic Subaru conversion.

Nice idea. we get Scoobie engines sent to us from a supplier in Joburg, so they are readily available. That would be an ideal fit. All you have to do is sortout the fuel injection and radiator...would sound bloody nice as well! :D

JITESH-00

louren

Can anyone direct me to a site or resources on how to convert a VW Caravelle 2.1 engine to a 4Y Toyota engine - so many Taxi's can't be wrong! I need to know where to get a conversion kit and the tipe of gearbox I should use with the 2.2 Toyota engine.

Tnx,

Lourens

did u do dt conversion with the 4y motor I got a caravelle n I'm thinkin abt puttin d toyota motor in it I'm lookin 4 d conversion kit...

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Back when we still had a 2.1i Microbus we were also looking at the 4Y conversion when the engine gave problems for the umpteenth time. There was also a company that said they could fit a 1.6 Citi Golf engine in the bay of the 2.1 bus without it taking up more space like a 5cyl Audi engine would. In the end we went with a good reconditioned 2.1i and it actually lasted for a longer time that we expected.

So why not just get another 2.1i if the one you have is giving you problems? They are pretty good engines and you'll be one of the few people on the road with a boxer engine (apart from Scoobies and Porsches).

kanagasabay

vw conversion

Tnx,

Lourens

Hi There, I can help.I am semi retired now and looking for something to keep me busy.I have done these conversions before .I am in Goodwood,,Cape Town.Contact me and we can have a chat

ponder

Honorary Master
Drop a Porche 993 motor in there :D

[video=youtube;8XvjVvFdMIY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XvjVvFdMIY[/video]

markethan

Seriously how can one recommend the v6 engine anymore unless you are towing a small caravan or boat and have deep pockets, the thing shlurps petrol like I down a Millers after a long day! the only motors are Audi 2.3 or 2.5 5 cylinder dude...fitted one lasy year and did 1600 km in January to Durban North and then the berg, jhb then back hame in limpopo, runs like dream and pulls like a train. ( I have the 2.3.)

Zwelibanzi

Hi Lorens
I have bell housing, adapter plate, ring gear and a starter for a 2.2 Toyota engine from my 2.1 VW Kombi for R 6500

Tnx,

Lourens

HunterGR

Expert Member
Hi Lorens
I have bell housing, adapter plate, ring gear and a starter for a 2.2 Toyota engine from my 2.1 VW Kombi for R 6500

I'm sure that 4.5 years later he has either done the conversion or scrapped the bus

Zwelibanzi

Conversion kit

Tnx,

Lourens

Hi Lourens

I replaced my 2.2 Toyota diesel engine with a polo engine. I have a bell housing, adapter plate, ring gear and a starter for your engine for R 6500

Warm rgds
Zweli