Volkswagen T-Roc (incl T-Roc R)

FiestaST

Honorary Master
I found this interesting.

T-Roc hit Euro-land markets late 2018. SA & Australia both getting it same (delayed) time, Q1 2020.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Volkswagen T-Roc R 2019 review

Should I buy one?

Based on our brief test drive in France, it seems fair to conclude that, as an overall package, the T-Roc R trumps both the SQ2 and X2 M35i.

A UK drive will provide the acid test, but this VW seems to ride considerably better on its adaptive dampers than its Audi and BMW rivals and it gives nothing away for sheer cross-country pace or engagement. Dare I say it: this might even be the first time where the adage of ‘just buy a Golf R instead’ doesn’t apply.

Volkswagen T-Roc R specification

Where Nice, France Price £38,450 On sale Now Engine 4 cyls, 1984cc, turbocharged, petrol Power 296bhp at 5300-6500rpm Torque 295lb ft at 2000-5200rpm Gearbox 7-spd dual-clutch automatic Kerb weight 1575kg Top speed 155mph 0-62mph 4.8sec Fuel economy 33.6mpg CO2 No WLTP data Rivals Audi SQ2, BMW X2 M35i

T-Roc R 1.jpgT-Roc R 2.jpgT-Roc R 3.jpgT-Roc R 4.jpgT-Roc R 5.jpgT-Roc R 6.jpgT-Roc R 7.jpgT-Roc R 8.jpgT-Roc R 9.jpgT-Roc R 10.jpg

FiestaST

Honorary Master
New Volkswagen T-Roc R: see (and hear!) hot SUV blast from 0-100 km/h

Just how quickly can the new Volkswagen T-Roc R hit 100 km/h from standstill? Well, thanks to the folks over at Automann-TV, we can find out from the (virtual) driver’s seat.

Yes, the YouTube channel has published a video showing the high-performance crossover – here fitted with the optional Akrapovič exhaust – blasting from zero to three figures.

For the record, the T-Roc R employs the Wolfsburg-based firm’s familiar turbocharged 2,0-litre four-cylinder petrol engine, sending 221 kW and 400 N.m to all four corners via a seven-speed DSG transmission. VW claims the T-Roc R will complete the obligatory 0-100 km/h sprint in 4,8 seconds (revising the figure downwards by one-tenth since the reveal), a time Automann-TV managed to replicate despite performing the test on less-than-ideal tarmac.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Volkswagen T-Roc R (2019) International Launch Review

Should I buy one?

Based on our brief test drive in France it seems fair to conclude that as an overall package, the T-Roc R trumps both the flagship X2 and the outgoing Mercedes-AMG GLA45. It seems to ride considerably better on its adaptive dampers and absolutely doesn’t give anything away for sheer cross-country pace or engagement. Dare I say it, this might even be the first time where the old adage of ‘just buy a Golf R instead’ doesn’t apply.

Volkswagen South Africa has informed Cars.co.za that the T-Roc R is under consideration for South Africa, but currently not destined for our market. Should exchange rates become more favourable the situation may be revisited, though...

FiestaST

Honorary Master
WATCH | Closer look at the Volkswagen T-Cross Convertible

The Volkswagen T-Roc Cabriolet's first official presentation was at the Frankfurt Motor Show (IAA) in September 2019 with the launch will take place in the northern spring of 2020.

While the hard top T-Roc has been on the road for two years (in Europe) and due in South Africa in the second half of 2020 , the auto giant expand its model range in the industry's fastest-growing segment.

The T-Roc Convertible can be had with 1.5-litre petrol turbo engines with an output of 85kW and 110kW respectively are available for the front-wheel drive SUV.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
New Volkswagen T-Roc Cabriolet: mass production kicks off

Volkswagen says it has started production of its new T-Roc Cabriolet at the Osnabrück plant in Germany.

The Wolfsburg-based firm says the facilities at the plant – where the Porsche Cayman is also built – were “extensively optimised” for the production of the VW brand's only convertible.

asshat99

Expert Member
New Volkswagen T-Roc Cabriolet: mass production kicks off

Volkswagen says it has started production of its new T-Roc Cabriolet at the Osnabrück plant in Germany.

The Wolfsburg-based firm says the facilities at the plant – where the Porsche Cayman is also built – were “extensively optimised” for the production of the VW brand's only convertible.

Look how guirky und random ve are by making ein confferdiple Crozoffer!

Effen zough it ve know it von't zell, zis carefully board approved brand positioning move vill make it look like ve haffe ein actual perzonality (effen zough it is more zan ein decade behind other makers who did the exact same thing).

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Volkswagen T-Roc R 2020 UK review

Should I buy one?

To go back to our original premise, the appeal of this car will depend on which group of people you belong to.

The former should try to buy the outgoing Golf R Estate, simply because it’s better to drive, less expensive and has a bigger boot than the T-Roc R. If you have extremely tall children, the additional head room in the back of the T-Roc will be useful, but it’s otherwise difficult to make the case for the new car.

The second, crossover-sympathetic group will find this hot example more forgiving to use on a daily basis than its main rivals and frankly more capable when they really want to shift. The Ateca and SQ2 are simply too stiff; the BMW X2 M35i runs the Volkswagen closest and has a more inviting interior.

None is much of a gem, but having close relations to the greatest all-weather hot hatch in recent memory means the T-Roc R shines brightest.

Volkswagen T-Roc R specification

Where Powys, UK Price £38,450 On sale Now Engine 4 cyls in line, 1984cc, turbocharged, petrol Power 296bhp at 5300-6500rpm Torque 295lb ft at 2000-5200rpm Gearbox 7-spd dual-clutch auto Kerb weight 1575kg Top speed 155mph (limited) 0-62mph 4.8sec Fuel economy 32.5mpg (WLTP) CO2 176g/km (NEDC Correlated) Rivals Audi SQ2, BMW X2 M35i

1-volkswagen-t-roc-r-2020-uk-fd-hero-front_0.jpg2-volkswagen-t-roc-r-2020-uk-fd-hero-rear_0.jpg3-volkswagen-t-roc-r-2020-uk-fd-r-badge_0.jpg5-volkswagen-t-roc-r-2020-uk-fd-alloy-wheels_0.jpg7-volkswagen-t-roc-r-2020-uk-fd-rear-lights_0.jpg8-volkswagen-t-roc-r-2020-uk-fd-dashboard_0.jpg9-volkswagen-t-roc-r-2020-uk-fd-infotainment_0.jpg10-volkswagen-t-roc-r-2020-uk-fd-drive-modes_0.jpg

FiestaST

Honorary Master
New Volkswagen T-Roc Cabriolet priced from £26,750

Only convertible crossover on sale is available to order now with choice of two trims and two petrol engines

Volkswagen has announced UK pricing and spec details for its new T-Roc Cabriolet – the only crossover on sale with a fully convertible roof.

Available to order now with deliveries getting under way later in the year, the T-Roc Cabriolet starts from £26,750 in Design trim with a 113bhp turbocharged 1.0-litre petrol engine. Standard kit includes sat-nav, climate control, adaptive cruise control and Front Assist with pedestrian monitoring.

Stepping up to R-Line trim increases the price to £31,920, bringing 19in alloy wheels, VW's Active Info Display digital instruments, LED headlights, sports seats, a bodykit and 20mm lower sports suspension.

The other engine option is a 1.5-litre turbo petrol unit with 148bhp. It can be ordered with a six-speed manual gearbox or seven-speed dual-clutch automatic.

T-Roc 1.jpgT-Roc 2.JPGT-Roc 3.JPGT-Roc 4.JPGT-Roc 5.JPGT-Roc 6.JPGT-Roc 7.JPG

FiestaST

Honorary Master
VW T-Roc R vs BMW M135i: Which is hotter, crossover or hatch?

We line up the T-Roc next to BMW's hot 1 Series to see if Volkswagen has ended the long wait for a hatchback-equalling sporting crossover

And what about those who do want a ripple or two from their performance car, even one with a daily brief? Well, they’re better served by the BMW. Its steering has more life, its chassis has more natural agility and, although we haven’t touched much on it here, its driveline is simply more finessed when you ask it difficult questions. The hot hatch formula seems so simple, yet it doesn’t necessarily translate perfectly to other automotive realms. To the casual driver, there may be no discernible difference between the T-Roc R and M135i. But to the rest of us, with the crossover’s extra height and weight, the magic is lost.

15_bmw_m135i_and_vw_t-roc_r_tracking_front_.jpg12_bmw_m135i_tracking_rear.jpg8_bmw_m135i_and_vw_t-roc_r_tracking_side.jpg7_vw_t-roc_r_and_bmw_m135i_stationary_side.jpg6_vw_t-roc_r_interior.jpg