Vote out councillors who steal money, don't deliver services - Ramaphosa on Freedom Day

Cosmik Debris

Expert Member
It has never existed

It hasn't? the Indian civil service runs on meritocracy introduced by the British Raj and it's a source of pride in the Indian civil service that promotion cannot be gained without passing competency exams.

Are you forgetting Singapore? The foremost example of a meritocracy? It was a third world dump 40 years ago and became what it now is due to meritocracy.

Vorastra

Executive Member
Why not recall candidates so they can't run under the ANC name...?

KSM93

It hasn't? the Indian civil service runs on meritocracy introduced by the British Raj and it's a source of pride in the Indian civil service that promotion cannot be gained without passing competency exams.

Are you forgetting Singapore? The foremost example of a meritocracy? It was a third world dump 40 years ago and became what it now is due to meritocracy.
So I'm supposed to take your word for it without stats. I can't speak on India as I don't know it well but as for Singapore don't make me laugh, it was a soft dictatorship and Lee made sure his son inherited his position and he destroyed opposition by suing rivals and always got a favorable outcome on the courts he controlled. I'm not denying that Singapore was well run but a meritocracy it was not. As for India it is a shithole so much for it's meritocracy.

Cosmik Debris

Expert Member
So I'm supposed to take your word for it without stats. I can't speak on India as I don't know it well but as for Singapore don't make me laugh, it was a soft dictatorship and Lee made sure his son inherited his position and he destroyed opposition by suing rivals and always got a favorable outcome on the courts he controlled. I'm not denying that Singapore was well run but a meritocracy it was not. As for India it is a shithole so much for it's meritocracy.

The first European power to implement a successful meritocratic civil service was theBitish Empire, in their administration of India: "company managers hired and promoted employees based on competitive examinations in order to prevent corruption and favoritism."

Source - Kazin, Edwards, and Rothman (2010), 142.

Singapore describes meritocracy as one of its official guiding principles for domestic public policy formulation, placing emphasis on academic credentials as objective measures of merit.

How meritocracy in the Singaporean context relates to the application of pragmatism as an ideological device, which combines strict adherence to market principles without any aversion to social engineering and little propensity for classical social welfarism, is further illustrated by Kenneth Paul Tan in subsequent articles:

There is a strong ideological quality in Singapore's pragmatism, and a strongly pragmatic quality in ideological negotiations within the dynamics of hegemony. In this complex relationship, the combination of ideological and pragmatic maneuvering over the decades has resulted in the historical dominance of government by the PAP in partnership with global capital whose interests have been advanced without much reservation.

Sources - Speech by Singapore Ambassador to France, 28 August 2008.

"Opinion | How Singapore is fixing its meritocracy". Washington Post.

Tan, Kenneth Paul (9 December 2011). "The Ideology of Pragmatism: Neo-liberal Globalisation and Political Authoritarianism in Singapore". Journal of Contemporary Asia.

Within the Ecuadorean Ministry of Labor, the Ecuadorian Meritocracy Institute was created under the technical advice of the Singaporean government.

Source - Web page of "Instituto Nacional de Meritocracia de Ecuador" , 12 March 2013

So, according to you, meritocracy does not exist?

Oldfut

Vote out counselors that steal? Wait, what? Shouldn't it be arrest counselors that steal?
Practically this translates into; Vote in other (ANC) councilors who can steal (and promise that you will benefit).

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Vote out counselors that steal? Wait, what? Shouldn't it be arrest counselors that steal?
I don't think people going around arresting councillors who steal would work out well, it would be a very irresponsible statement from the President.

Solarion

Honorary Master
What do you mean vote them out? You are supposed to fire them. Why must it be our job to remove corrupt officials? How are we supposed to do internal audits and forensics. C'mon Rama get real ma brah you sound like one of those okes who wants his guests to bring their own dop to his wedding.

BeerIsNotGood...

Executive Member
Just like South Africa

Cosmik Debris

Expert Member
Yeah but SA is a better cause it's not overpopulated.

It's not?

apqxdgny2sl01.png

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
We live in a civilised, democratic country, there are processes.
Those processes should include convictions for criminals, instead of investigating the ANC instead chooses to turn a blind eye.
I guess when everyone is on the take then its quite hard to point fingers.

The very notion of "vote them out if they steal" is absurd and ridiculous, if they steal then lay criminal charges.