Vox Cancellation of service, a warning to read the fine print, and some advice please

Megaton

Get the router back and courier it to their JHB offices.
They said no dropoff is allowed at any of their offices. I don't know if they mean courier dropoff or personal dropoff though. I don't want to send another email as I'm still waiting for a reply to my last one :X3:

lightpixel

Vox debtors is truly evil. I had the same issue with a business Fibre Line. They did not collect the gear so I got OCD on their a$$es and sent the gear (router + 8 voip phones) back with a courier and called their stores like 10 times until a guy answered. The thing that broke our relationship was their debtors. There's this rude lady called Charlene in Debtors, we waited 5 weeks for a credit note and while they were passing it we still has to pay incorrect invoice. They are truly the spawn of satan. Double standards.

Get a new router for your mate and get yours back and call them 20 times a day to book that courier.
Make it their problem.

There's only 1 way you deal with Vox, your Kung Fu needs to be stronger than theirs. Start the emails mate.

Last edited:
Reactions: old

lightpixel

Check here - Exactly what happened to you:

"Thank you Charlene xxxxx.
No one has fetched the equipment yet so I am going to send driver to drop it off @ you. Is that okay?"

---

Reply from Vox

"Good morning
Our address is:
7th Floor Ooba Building

33 Bree Street
Cnr of Riebeek and Bree street
Cape Town.
Please ask for Edmond to ensure that the stock is correctly received."

quovadis

Expert Member
Not quite sure why everyone is piling on the blame with Vox when the terms and conditions clearly state the device remains the property of Vox. Thus return the device or pay the fee.

OP - My advice would be to inform Vox that they can either arrange for an appropriate time to collect the device or advise where you need to courier or post it to. If you no longer have the device then unfortunately that’s a lesson learned.

ngoni615

SO far i have not had any big issues with vox. The only issues i had with them was regarding gaming which they managed to fix and quickly too. will c once the time for me to cancel arrives but for now all is well

lightpixel

Not quite sure why everyone is piling on the blame with Vox when the terms and conditions clearly state the device remains the property of Vox. Thus return the device or pay the fee.

OP - My advice would be to inform Vox that they can either arrange for an appropriate time to collect the device or advise where you need to courier or post it to. If you no longer have the device then unfortunately that’s a lesson learned.
They don't contact you for the device, that's the common thread. They switch on the collection engine without following process. I speak from experience, not misinformed opinion.

xrapidx

Honorary Master

While I agree - sometimes these ISPs just don't collect the devices, no matter how hard you try and get them to - I have two in my "rubbish" drawer for over a year now.

Usually when you leave an ISP - its because of service, not pricing - and I sure as hell am not going to spend my money returing their crappy devices. (which I didn't want in the first place)

quovadis

Expert Member
They don't contact you for the device, that's the common thread. They switch on the collection engine without following process. I speak from experience, not misinformed opinion.
The contractual obligation still remains. Why would the onus rest with Vox to ensure the property is returned? If I borrow something from a friend I cannot claim that due to their lack of action in collecting it his right to ownership or compensation is voided?

lightpixel

SO far i have not had any big issues with vox. The only issues i had with them was regarding gaming which they managed to fix and quickly too. will c once the time for me to cancel arrives but for now all is well
Their tech is good, their debtors is poor. We were their clients for 3 yrs as we signed contract Credit notes take a month to pass. Its a slow process. Returning the devices was a serious pain in the butt, we got it right but it became our problem.
The contractual obligation still remains. Why would the onus rest with Vox to ensure the property is returned? If I borrow something from a friend I cannot claim that due to their lack of action in collecting it his right to ownership or compensation is voided?
Op tried to get it back to them. So did we.

lightpixel

While I agree - sometimes these ISPs just don't collect the devices, no matter how hard you try and get them to - I have two in my "rubbish" drawer for over a year now.

Usually when you leave an ISP - its because of service, not pricing - and I sure as hell am not going to spend my money returing their crappy devices. (which I didn't want in the first place)
True, their free to use router is delivered whether you want it or not, We were forced to take it. We clearly said we don't need it and the call centre's response was and literally quote : " you have to take it even if you use it as a door stop."
Its how they enforce the cancellation fees as you have property of theirs. It's an old trick from 90's way of doing business.

quovadis

Expert Member
Returning the devices was a serious pain in the butt, we got it right but it became our problem.

Op tried to get it back to them. So did we.
And most people would get an Aramex sleeve, place the device etc inside with reasonable packaging protection and ship it to the registered address of the company or on their website and cite the tracking number and delivery receipt as proof of compliance. That’s perfectly reasonable unless the contract states a specific performance or return procedure.

lightpixel

And most people would get an Aramex sleeve, place the device etc inside with reasonable packaging protection and ship it to the registered address of the company or on their website and cite the tracking number and delivery receipt as proof of compliance. That’s perfectly reasonable unless the contract states a specific performance or return procedure.
Yes that's what we did deliver it to them like any decent human being would. I got my driver to have the stores person sign for receipt.

quovadis

Expert Member

Unfortunately contracts are only enforceable as far as the terms agreed to freely by those entering into them. Your reason for canceling the contract or continuing with it does not negate the obligations created.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Unfortunately contracts are only enforceable as far as the terms agreed to freely by those entering into them. Your reason for canceling the contract or continuing with it does not negate the obligations created.
Fortunately, I have on email from both ISPs that they will be collecting the device (still in box unused) - needless to say - they didn't - they also ignored the follow-up where I said I would be getting rid of the device if not collected in a further 30 days.

Considering they probably can't provide the "agreed" terms at the date of joining - I'm not concerned at all.

lightpixel

Fortunately, I have on email from both ISPs that they will be collecting the device (still in box unused) - needless to say - they didn't - they also ignored the follow-up where I said I would be getting rid of the device if not collected in a further 30 days.

Considering they probably can't provide the "agreed" terms at the date of joining - I'm not concerned at all.
100% my experience.

quovadis

Expert Member

And that’s a reasonable approach too but it depends if the ISPs decide to exercise their legal rights based on their own interest. I’m not saying they would but it wouldn’t be unusual if they did based on their own arguments.

Megaton

Yes, lesson learnt there, hence this warning, I should have read the contract in detail. But I think they could do a bit more in making it clear that they expect the router back when you cancel and that it is your responsibility to do so instead of waiting a year with no communication and then sending a penalty invoice and debtors.

I've asked them what the alternatives are for returning the modem after they informed me all their offices are closed for drop-off, but I'm still waiting for a reply.

russellO

This thread kicked my ass into gear. I cancelled mine in November and never heard anything from them. Dropped them an email yesterday to ask. I have the RB750GR3 and cAP sitting in the cupboard.

killerbyte

Expert Member
OP send them an invoice for storage fees. R100pm for a period of 2 years.
"Failure to collect property in a reasonable amount of time."

catharsis

in April 2019 I specifically asked if there would be any penalties or fees, and I received an email saying there wouldn't be, I'm all paid up and everything was fine, so that's where I left it

VOX never contacted me to collect the router, and I didn't realise that I even needed to return it. After nearly a year of this router laying in my cupboard, unused, I gave it to a friend when he needed it, and didn't think of it again.

And then suddenly, in 2020-02, nearly a year later, I get email invoice from Vox for an amount of R2000 "penalty fee for non-returned mikrotik router".
Did they in any of the emails mention that the router needs to be returned or do they bank on the customer not being thorough with the fine print to score later on, conveneiently leaving it for a year to allow it to mature. Not even giving you the courtesy of saying the courier was there to pick unsuccessfully so the onus is now on you.

They stink of corporate arrogance.