Vox Cancellation of service, a warning to read the fine print, and some advice please

Devinity

Your mistake was not asking about the router when you asked about the fees or penalties - which technically there wasn't so they weren't wrong there. Had they confirmed there that it wasn't needed back you'd be clear
Is it not the company's responsibility to remind you that you need to return the equipment?

Last edited:

Devinity

Yep, my mistake, I should have been clear, so you learn. I just didn't think of at the time. I certainly didn't expect a penalty fee a year later though!

I am still going to try and see if I can recover the router, but Vox is currently making it impossible for me to return it. Because they insist they sent out a courier and I was not home I have to deliver it to their offices. But right after telling me that they followed up saying I can't do that because their offices are closed due to lockdown, now forcing me to pay.
A courier would phone you to let you know when they will be there BEFORE coming, just like they phone you before delivery to ensure that you will be home. I know this as I had to return a faulty item to a company.

Devinity

They said no dropoff is allowed at any of their offices. I don't know if they mean courier dropoff or personal dropoff though. I don't want to send another email as I'm still waiting for a reply to my last one :X3:
use their online chat

PsyWulf

Executive Member
Is it not the company's responsibility to remind you that you need to return the equipment?
It's not - technically - anybody's responsibility to do much of anything except what was agreed. Seems a section of the terms said hardware remains owned by Vox. Let's use a dumbed down example:
Is it my responsibility to remind you to return my lawnmower after you borrowed it - especially if you or I decide not to continue our contact? Or can I reasonably expect you understanding that returning property not owned by you when severing a relationship is implicit

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
I have them at home, and thankfully I did not toss the hap ac lite router they provided. So will keep until I finally leave them.

We have two FTTB lines that we need to cancel because covid and we can't afford to keep offices open. They want to charge 176k for the last two years left on contract. Doesn't matter that when we signed two years ago, they promised installation in 3 and 6 months but then took just over a year to install and did not allow to cancel contract as they did not deliver. They are a **** company.

Their billing is also intentionally crooked. If you upgrade / downgrade a line like I did at home , a few times for the few months I need a faster line, their system double charges you. For the old line speed and the new one instead of a proper pro-rata calc. If you not paying attention , they just robbed you. No apologies when they do this. And they only correct weeks after you bring to their attention. I think after this post, as a matter of principle, I need to find a new provider ..

russellO

It's not - technically - anybody's responsibility to do much of anything except what was agreed. Seems a section of the terms said hardware remains owned by Vox. Let's use a dumbed down example:
Is it my responsibility to remind you to return my lawnmower after you borrowed it - especially if you or I decide not to continue our contact? Or can I reasonably expect you understanding that returning property not owned by you when severing a relationship is implicit
The problem is that we cant just return it on our own. There needs to be some process that they initiate (like when you return something to e-commerce sites) so that they don't have a random package dropped off at a branch.

They other thing is that you not allowed to fiddle with their hardware so it's something that they should be doing. A technician installed it, so they should come uninstall it.

You can't have pages of T&C's that tell a customer something but then you selectively adhere to it yourself.

cavedog

Honorary Master
The problem is that we cant just return it on our own. There needs to be some process that they initiate (like when you return something to e-commerce sites) so that they don't have a random package dropped off at a branch.

They other thing is that you not allowed to fiddle with their hardware so it's something that they should be doing. A technician installed it, so they should come uninstall it.

You can't have pages of T&C's that tell a customer something but then you selectively adhere to it yourself.
That is the thing. They send you a router lock it down and don't allow you to fiddle with it at all but when you cancel now they allow you to unplug it and they require you to courier it back ect. Double standards.

If they just tell the clients this router is a loan unit once you cancel please courier it to this address and put your account number on the waybill it will be much better. Then it won't seem as if they are trying to be sly.

Megaton

Did they in any of the emails mention that the router needs to be returned or do they bank on the customer not being thorough with the fine print to score later on, conveneiently leaving it for a year to allow it to mature. Not even giving you the courtesy of saying the courier was there to pick unsuccessfully so the onus is now on you.

They stink of corporate arrogance.
I can't find any record of being told the router needs to be returned after I cancelled. The first email I received was the invoice a year later. Apparently the invoice gets automatically raised by their process when the courier reports an unsucessful pickup. But, I was also not contacted by the courier to arrange for a pickup.

Megaton

Update:

Vox product manager has reached out to me on Friday me saying that they are investigating why they only attempted to collect the router in January this year and the related invoice raised for non-collection.

I have also been contacted by the Debtors late Friday saying that I can return the router to their offices after lockdown.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Update:

Vox product manager has reached out to me on Friday me saying that they are investigating why they only attempted to collect the router in January this year and the related invoice raised for non-collection.

I have also been contacted by the Debtors late Friday saying that I can return the router to their offices after lockdown.
Not surprised. Vox accounts just handed you over for debt collection. They don't even want to entertain anything you say. See it's still like that :cautious:

catharsis

I can't find any record of being told the router needs to be returned after I cancelled. The first email I received was the invoice a year later. Apparently the invoice gets automatically raised by their process when the courier reports an unsucessful pickup. But, I was also not contacted by the courier to arrange for a pickup.
They do this on purpose, knowing youll have little ammo to challenge their T&C's.
As a customer youre just a 1/0 to them.

Megaton

Update 2020-06-02:

Vox has contacted me again and explained that the original router request slipped through the cracks and as a result, was only actioned 8 months later and assured me that this is by no means standard Vox practice.

They will arrange for a courier to collect the router from me as soon as they are permitted to during the lockdown and ensure the courier schedules a time beforehand.

Megaton

Update 2020-06-12:

The courier contacted me last week and arranged to pick up the router from me today between noon and 4pm, but they never showed up. They didn't contact me to let me know they can't make it either.

I reached out to Vox again to ask what happened.

Aquiva

I'm sorry to ask this so late in the thread... But isn't the router free if you don't cancel with them within the first 6/12 months?

Megaton

I'm sorry to ask this so late in the thread... But isn't the router free if you don't cancel with them within the first 6/12 months?
It depends on the contract. I also made this assumption, and I thought I was correct because I was never asked for the router back, but it turned out to be incorrect. Vox's contract states that they own the equipment.

Megaton

Update 2020-06-18:

After querying the no-show of the courier last Friday Vox replied back to me today saying that the courier provided feedback to them that nobody was home when they tried to collect the router.

I am not sure what's going on here. I was at home Friday between 12 and 4pm (the time the courier scheduled), but even if they came at a different time/date, there's always someone at home (due to lockdown). And I would have expected a phonecall saying, hey, we're at your door but there's nobody here if they really found nobody home.

Vox said they will arrange for collection again.

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
Update 2020-06-18:

After querying the no-show of the courier last Friday Vox replied back to me today saying that the courier provided feedback to them that nobody was home when they tried to collect the router.

I am not sure what's going on here. I was at home Friday between 12 and 4pm (the time the courier scheduled), but even if they came at a different time/date, there's always someone at home (due to lockdown). And I would have expected a phonecall saying, hey, we're at your door but there's nobody here if they really found nobody home.

Vox said they will arrange for collection again.

I had the same issue, the courier is full of ****.

Edit,

Let me cherry top this for you. Once the courier arrived to pick up my router... The courier asked what address he should deliver it to. I had to spend the next 30mins on the phone to Vox to figure that out.

Megaton

I had the same issue, the courier is full of ****.

Edit,

Let me cherry top this for you. Once the courier arrived to pick up my router... The courier asked what address he should deliver it to. I had to spend the next 30mins on the phone to Vox to figure that out.
Oh no. I hope that's not the case when they show up here.

It certainly sounds like there's a problem with the courier process. And I think it's a critical one to fix because this is what triggers the debtors process for 'non return of device'.

Goosfrabba

Last year October I had to switch over from Cell C to Telkom LTE as Cell C withdraw their LTE offering (I'm with WebAfrica). I was happy to just do a sim swop over but nope, being a new package, I had to take a new router for the Telkom sim. When the courier delivered the new sim and router, I had the Cell C router that I assumed he would collect at the same time. Just seems logical and efficient. He didn't want it and it took me a while to get WebAfrica to acknowledge that I wanted to return the router after they tried to invoice me R1999. Never mind the bank fees of failed debit attempts.
I have my Telkom sim to be cancelled end of this month, and expect to have to fight with them again. All the ISP's suck in this regard it seems