Vox Fibre Cancellation - Refusal to waive fee and notice period

JFT96

Last week I decided I've had enough of Vox and their lame excuses about poor international bandwidth. I tried to cancel my service with Vox and was faced with a cancellation fee and a notice period of 1 month. You have to cancel online to "officially" cancel services with Vox. (They force you to cancel online and notice period and cancellation fees are added by default.)

My gripe with Vox is with international bandwidth. I randomly experience a massive slow down in my international speeds. I spend most of my time working on streaming media or wokring on AWS, GCP or Azure and you can really feel it when things slow down to this extent. When I do a speed test I find international speeds have slowed down, usually to well below 20% of the line speed I'm paying for with Vox.

Below is a sample fo the speeds I've had just recently, which prompted me to take the fight to Vox to cancel without notice or a penalty. I would not bother if I were getting the service I was paying for.

The last speed test I did was over wifi to a server based in London (Vodafone). I was getting 5.35mbps on a 100mbps line. When running these speed test I'm using an iPhone 8 and connected to the Mikrotik router 5ghz wif channel. It is a simple test and to be honest I would care less if I was even getting 80% line speed on international BW.

IMG_6111.jpg

Initially, I had thought there was something wrong on my network or with my device, but the anomaly is that I get full line speed to any Cape Town based server over speedtest.net. That rules out my local network (in my opinion.)

When testing on a JHB Server, speeds drop to around 70-80%.

Recently a friend in th same complex where I stay brought his router around and tested it on my network. He is with Cool Ideas. When we eventually got things working I was getting full line speed to any international destination, but when switching back to Vox, I consistently get less than 50% line speed while testing on a windows laptop over ethernet. That for me was conclusive. My issue is almost certainly with Vox and I should not have to pay for a sub-optimal service which Vox refuses to acknowledge. To remedy my situation, they are now are forcing me to pay additional fees so that I can move on. In my book that is pure dishonesty and exceptionally bad service.

Last week I escalated to "Exco" customer service and this is the reply I received today.

Good Morning XXX

Trust this email finds you well.

We have done a thorough investigation into your complaint and all concerns raised.

We can confirm that our Technical Department has been in contact with you and confirmed that international speeds are unfortunately not guaranteed. Kindly note that all faults logged with our Technical Department has been resolved within timelines .Our Technical Manager assisted and confirmed that the speeds which you are currently experiencing are correct.

Should you which to proceed with cancellation, we cannot waive the cancellation fee and therefore this will be billable

Kind Regards

XXX
Agent- Customer Service at Vox

Nice.

Anyone thinking of signing up with Vox, think again.

Last edited:

EveDawg

Bite the bullet and move :) Im with Cool Ideas on Vumatel trenched and get full download speed to london on 50/50 Line upload will be between 30-40 Mbps. A well seeded torrent will max the line out at 6.25 MB/s

JFT96

Bite the bullet and move :) Im with Cool Ideas on Vumatel trenched and get full download speed to london on 50/50 Line upload will be between 30-40 Mbps. A well seeded torrent will max the line out at 6.25 MB/s
Yep. I have cancelled and signed up with CI.

rawoke

Ja I've seen some ISPs says "Free install no contract..." many of them MEAN "Free installation UNTIL you cancel then you are liable for installation cost usually the full amount" but hey its not a contract ! #whateva !!!

Last week I decided I've had enough of Vox and their lame excuses about poor international bandwidth. I tried to cancel my service with Vox and was faced with a cancellation fee and a notice period of 1 month. You have to cancel online to "officially" cancel services with Vox. (They force you to cancel online and notice period and cancellation fees are added by default.)

My gripe with Vox is with international bandwidth. I randomly experience a massive slow down in my international speeds. I spend most of my time working on streaming media or wokring on AWS, GCP or Azure and you can really feel it when things slow down to this extent. When I do a speed test I find international speeds have slowed down, usually to well below 20% of the line speed I'm paying for with Vox.

Below is a sample fo the speeds I've had just recently, which prompted me to take the fight to Vox to cancel without notice or a penalty. I would not bother if I were getting the service I was paying for.

The last speed test I did was over wifi to a server based in London (Vodafone). I was getting 5.35mbps on a 100mbps line. When running these speed test I'm using an iPhone 8 and connected to the Mikrotik router 5ghz wif channel. It is a simple test and to be honest I would care less if I was even getting 80% line speed on international BW.

View attachment 548967

Initially, I had thought there was something wrong on my network or with my device, but the anomaly is that I get full line speed to any Cape Town based server over speedtest.net. That rules out my local network (in my opinion.)

When testing on a JHB Server, speeds drop to around 70-80%.

Recently a friend in th same complex where I stay brought his router around and tested it on my network. He is with Cool Ideas. When we eventually got things working I was getting full line speed to any international destination, but when switching back to Vox, I consistently get less than 50% line speed while testing on a windows laptop over ethernet. That for me was conclusive. My issue is almost certainly with Vox and I should not have to pay for a sub-optimal service which Vox refuses to acknowledge. To remedy my situation, they are now are forcing me to pay additional fees so that I can move on. In my book that is pure dishonesty and exceptionally bad service.

Last week I escalated to "Exco" customer service and this is the reply I received today.

Good Morning XXX

Trust this email finds you well.

We have done a thorough investigation into your complaint and all concerns raised.

We can confirm that our Technical Department has been in contact with you and confirmed that international speeds are unfortunately not guaranteed. Kindly note that all faults logged with our Technical Department has been resolved within timelines .Our Technical Manager assisted and confirmed that the speeds which you are currently experiencing are correct.

Should you which to proceed with cancellation, we cannot waive the cancellation fee and therefore this will be billable

Kind Regards

XXX
Agent- Customer Service at Vox

Nice.

Anyone thinking of signing up with Vox, think again.
Thanks for sharing. I was well on my way to vox. It seems cool ideas is the way to go then

ChilliPepper

Have been with Cool Ideas since the start and got irate at drastically higher prices for a new signup. Was 90% on the way to do VOX. Now I'm all concerned.

mister

Executive Member
I had the same **** with Vox... they cannot provide quality services and refuse to waive cancellation fees.. Escalating to management just got me a threat from legal.

markbols

I would seriously avoid Vox.
I moved house in Cape Town (5km move) and wanted to just change my address (as I was with Vox and Octotel serviced both places). I told Vox 2 weeks prior to move and confirmed that I could qualify for their 'promo' of no installation fee at the new place. Well no luck. I was billed R1,085 for installation since they said I should have given a months notice as they needed to cancel my account. As someone who was just changing address, why cancel my account and not just change address details? Well that seems to have been answered... now that I'm leaving Vox for their false promises, they've indicated they will bill me R1,500 early termination fee on their 'month to month' 12-month contract (despite me having been with them for 3 years). So account termination for no good reason is just their way of locking you into another 12-month contract.
So Vox?

pancakes

Had a similar episode with Vox. They didn't provide a service they had originally said they could provide - Then hit me with a cancellation fee. Definitely avoiding them in the future.

JFT96

Just chiming back in here to close this thread. I've been on Cool Ideas for almost 2 full months now, and have yet to experience a single issue with international bandwidth.

As for Vox, they're offering a substandard service and desperately cling to every cent they can suck from the unsuspecting clients. I'm now more convinced than ever to advise others to stay away.

"Daars n drol in die drankwater met Vox..."

markbols

Same sentiment here. Its been a dog show with Vox the last few months. Finally changing to Cool Ideas at month end.

zambussi

I'm getting hit with a cancellation fee from Vox even though they haven't installed a damn thing. After waiting a month for them to install "tomorrow", I told them to suck eggs. Now they want R 2,700 from me.
I think it's time to take them to the consumer commission (if they still exist).

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I'm getting hit with a cancellation fee from Vox even though they haven't installed a damn thing. After waiting a month for them to install "tomorrow", I told them to suck eggs. Now they want R 2,700 from me.
I think it's time to take them to the consumer commission (if they still exist).
Tell them to fsck off...
They haven't installed anything for you to pay a cancellation fee.

zambussi

Agreed, but the tossers have activated the line (at 4Mbit), even though they didn't install their router. Discovered it when the new isp tried to connect their service. The isp can't do anything unless they cancel their hold on the line which Vox refuses to do unless I pay them. Vuma installed their box in my house long before I contacted Vox.

DERoestorf

lodge a complaint with the consumer commission. You are allowed to cancel within the first 3 months without any penalty I believe.

OCP

Expert Member
How can they charge you for something that was not done?
Get them to show you signed for a completed order or they can go suck eggs.

Nicholas Marzio

Is this on the Vumatel network?