Vox Telecom suffers downtime

Totempole

Expert Member
F**king brilliant! Vox/@lantic is my main email provider, so I'm pretty much screwed until they fix this. :mad:

Well... It's not like they were the most reliable email provider before this happend.

Allin

Expert Member
F**king brilliant! Vox/@lantic is my main email provider, so I'm pretty much screwed until they fix this. :mad:

Well... It's not like they were the most reliable email provider before this happend.
@lantic was actually quite good, but lately I've noticed that the e-mail service is certainly not what it used to be. Delayed delivery is costing me.

J_S

We use Vox for outgoing calls. So joys of no calls going out today. With an estimated lead time of another 3 hours odd..

Totempole

Expert Member
@lantic was actually quite good, but lately I've noticed that the e-mail service is certainly not what it used to be. Delayed delivery is costing me.

I'm one of the old AIA mail users. It seems they use inferior mail servers for us, downtime happens at least once a month even if it's just for 30 minutes.

lordnokon

Multiple hardware failures have led to voice, hosting, and e-mail downtime at Vox Telecom on Friday (18 October 2013), Shane Chorley, executive head of network and operations has told MyBroadband.

One would think they would have some form of redundancy in place to avoid this from happening?

Totempole

Expert Member
This is bad :(. Emails will be lost/bounced back to the sender. Sent a test email from one of my other email accounts:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: Test Email
Sent: 10/18/2013 11:55 AM

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

'*my-email*@absamail.co.za' on 10/18/2013 11:56 AM
451 Talk to your mail administrator for details.

scantid

@lantic service is affected!

Chorley has said that their network layer is working and that Internet customers, such as those using their @lantic consumer services, are unaffected.

Except that @lantic's website, customer portal and my home ADSL internet connection is also down! Chorley must have a different definition of "unaffected" than what I do...

bavmorda

Started last night around 11h. My Internet is down as well. It is not only e-mail and hosting.

Totempole

Expert Member
Chorley has said that their network layer is working and that Internet customers, such as those using their @lantic consumer services, are unaffected.

Except that @lantic's website, customer portal and my home ADSL internet connection is also down! Chorley must have a different definition of "unaffected" than what I do...

I wonder if my @lantic Gig4Gig backup account is affected as well.

Started last night around 11h. My Internet is down as well. It is not only e-mail and hosting.

Yup, I thought it was late night maintenance and that everything would be back up by this morning. Internet shouldn't be down according to @lantic.

Last edited:

RichardG

Honorary Master
Where is there redundancy server :) Multiple hardware failure(how often do they replace their server equipment example hard drive etc). Reminds me of the good old days with iBurst during their beta trail times happen to them. Only 1 server.

Totempole

Expert Member
My Gig4Gig ADSL account is still working, but it's on the SAIX backbone, so that's probably why.

Murmaider

One would think they would have some form of redundancy in place to avoid this from happening?

It's very easy to say that and a bit naive to believe they didn't.
We are talking about multiple hardware failure errors on a R15 million SAN.

A similar issue happened to Curse networks about a year ago, their one SAN failed and the redundant one took over only to also fail 2 hours later. When they replaced the failed hardware in the primary SAN and booted it up, a firmware bug cleared the entire RAID's meta data and they had to get the Manufactures to write a firmware fix before they could risk bringing up the 2nd SAN. From there it took 3 days to do consistency checks. This was a multi-million dollar solution.

SAN's are awesome, but when they break, they really _really_ break.

Vox Telecom

Vox Telecom Representative
Company Rep
UPDATE: Together with EMC, the replacement hardware has now been successfully installed. Full service restoration will occur within the next 8 hours. We experienced a unanticipated, critical hardware failure on both existing and redundant equipment, and we’ll report back to customers as soon as the restoration is complete.

Totempole

Expert Member
UPDATE: Together with EMC, the replacement hardware has now been successfully installed. Full service restoration will occur within the next 8 hours. We experienced a unanticipated, critical hardware failure on both existing and redundant equipment, and we’ll report back to customers as soon as the restoration is complete.

Is there such a thing as an "anticipated critical hardware failure"?