VOX Voip Help

Schitzo

Hi there! So I've migrated to Fibre which rendered my landline inoperable.

I decided I would switch to VOX VOIP's R171pm package. I signed up and have a pending Order.

What I am trying to figure out now is how do I retain my landline number. Do I ask Vox Support to port my number across or do I cancel with Telkom and ask them to Port me.?

Please, if anyone has any feedback and advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

JonOpollo

Hi there! So I've migrated to Fibre which rendered my landline inoperable.

I decided I would switch to VOX VOIP's R171pm package. I signed up and have a pending Order.

What I am trying to figure out now is how do I retain my landline number. Do I ask Vox Support to port my number across or do I cancel with Telkom and ask them to Port me.?

Please, if anyone has any feedback and advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
Don't cancel your telkom until you and they have confirmed the port has been successfully generated. You ask vox to start the port. That being said you need yo ask them to port your number they will need you to fill out a port request form as well as need the latest telkom statement to accompany it. You can email their support or call them to get the process started. I will however warn you that they are very slow to letting you know about process in your application, you will need to remember to contact them if you want any progress. There is also a flat fee for porting.

As everyone has mentioned here some or other time vox SUCKS when it comes to support no way around it and because you're porting you will be dealing with them. The rica fails or takes way too long. Their customer support rep assigned to our porting was "always on lunch" from 8am to 16pm. Also had their tech support call me at 2am just to give my SIP details. I swear I felt lighter when I stopped having to deal with their customer support.

I have been using the service all year and it has been great. Only down one time in the early morning for maintenance but that was communicated in advanced. It is your basic VOIP package no bells and whistles but better than Telkoms quality. You can even make calls from your analogue or volte mobile number if your internet connection is spotty, these are limited to 2 hour calls however. There is a thread where more forum member describe the package. But all in all very happy using it albeit the crappy support in the beginning.

Schitzo

Thank you SO much for the feedback and breakdown. I'm praying their RICA and Port doesn't take too long.

Their support sounds worse than the Telkom ADSL struggles of the 90's... o_O

RedDevil7108

I got the Vox package and was done in about 8 days ( this was done pre-covid ), no hiccups with their support or anything and happy with the service till now.
What I did was, got the VOIP package 1st, then ported ( Vox did everything as explained above ) then canned Telkom lines.

It does not take long, but depends on how busy the porting departments are ( both Vox & Telkom - that Vox has to go through... ) - just make sure to send all docs with the filled in form - ID, telephone bill from Telkom, proof of residence thats not the phone bill ( thats what I did )etc...

If you still have the analogue handsets lying around and want to make use of them, then all you need is a ATA device - I got myself a Grandstream 8-port ( GS-HT818 ), good little nifty device...
I also use Grandstream app on my Android phone - GS Wave..

JonOpollo

Thank you SO much for the feedback and breakdown. I'm praying their RICA and Port doesn't take too long.

Their support sounds worse than the Telkom ADSL struggles of the 90's... o_O
Yes it can vary drastically, but I think VOIP in general will be superior to the old telkoms ADSL/Voice woes, even better than their FLLA offering. Especially with how they handle costs and cancelling contracts.
If you still have the analogue handsets lying around and want to make use of them, then all you need is a ATA device - I got myself a Grandstream 8-port ( GS-HT818 ), good little nifty device...
I also use Grandstream app on my Android phone - GS Wave..
Off topic but how did you configure your grandstream? I am struggling to get incoming calls to register on a router of mine, though outgoing is working flawlessly maybe there's something in the config I am missing.

RedDevil7108

Off topic but how did you configure your grandstream? I am struggling to get incoming calls to register on a router of mine, though outgoing is working flawlessly maybe there's something in the config I am missing.

Have you entered the server address as an URL or IP ?
If IP, then try URL or vice-versa...

And if you're trying this on your phone, if you set the protocol as TLS, try UDP or again vice-versa...

JonOpollo

Have you entered the server address as an URL or IP ?
If IP, then try URL or vice-versa...

And if you're trying this on your phone, if you set the protocol as TLS, try UDP or again vice-versa...
Yes I have, the phone itself works fine for outgoing calls just no incoming. Guess I must be missing some technical setting elsewhere, tried with two handsets no luck either.

Thank you for suggesting some troubleshooting tips. If all else fails I might invest in the grandstream setup.