VPN Issue - Connects(ping) on Win7 but not Win8

DextrousDave

Hi All

I have a strange problem at hand.

I have 2 PC's, on the SAME IP range and the same network. The one is a Win 7 Pro machine and the other one a Windows 8 Pro machine

Both connect to a VPN network using the SAME Cisco VPN Client

Now BOTH connect fine to the VPN (status on Cisco VPN client says Connected).

Here is the problem:

The Windows 7 machine can access and ping to a local address on the VPN, nl 192.165.34.20.
The Windows 8 machine, however, cannot ping to that same address, although it is connected to the VPN.

I have done a CLEAN install on the windows 8 machine and have NO antivirus programs - Windows firewall is also disabled.

I have run the Client on the Windows 8 machine in various compatibility modes, but no luck..

Help Please !?

Thanks

TheGuy

Expert Member
If you google Cisco VPN client and Win 8 there is lost of info. Have you gone through the info?

rrh

Expert Member
Best check with Cisco / your supplier. Their VPN software can be finicky.

Ry4n

Are you running the client as admin (right click and tick the box "Run as Admin") that fixed my VPN issue from 7 to 8 GL.

eCliPSe

Cisco doesnt officially support Win8 with their IPSec VPN client. But i know of people using it without any issues.

@udiS3

Hi All

I have a strange problem at hand.

I have 2 PC's, on the SAME IP range and the same network. The one is a Win 7 Pro machine and the other one a Windows 8 Pro machine

Both connect to a VPN network using the SAME Cisco VPN Client

Now BOTH connect fine to the VPN (status on Cisco VPN client says Connected).

Here is the problem:

The Windows 7 machine can access and ping to a local address on the VPN, nl 192.165.34.20.
The Windows 8 machine, however, cannot ping to that same address, although it is connected to the VPN.

I have done a CLEAN install on the windows 8 machine and have NO antivirus programs - Windows firewall is also disabled.

I have run the Client on the Windows 8 machine in various compatibility modes, but no luck..

Help Please !?

Thanks

Have you run the Cisco client program as "administrator"?

Usually the routing table cannot be altered by a program unless it was run as administrator.
Anyways open a command prompt(start->run->"cmd") on both machines and run the following:

c:\>ipconfig

c:\>route print

This will allow you to compare and see if the vpn interface is being created on the Win8 machine.
And secondly to view the route table and compare if the win8 machine has it's route table updated which is necessary to be able to communicate with other devices on the vpn.

Last edited:

DextrousDave

Well I am not sure. But if the program installs and connect, I guess it has to be compatible right? Is just that it can ping a specific server on the VPN (the Win 7 PC can)

DextrousDave

If you google Cisco VPN client and Win 8 there is lost of info. Have you gone through the info?

Yes I ave, but most of them relate to the VPN not connecting at all and doing a regedit fix - which I did. None I could find relates to the VPN being connected, but I cannot ping anything on it...

DextrousDave

on the windows 8 machine on the cisco vpn client, if you go to status, do you see packets being encrypted?

There are tons of compatibility issues on the cisco vpn client. I have had more luck with anyconnect.

However, you can try the following
Install ShrewSoft VPN 2.1.7 and import Cisco PCF:http://www.shrew.net/download/vpn/vpn-client-2.1.7-release.exe

Thank you. But unfortunately I am not allowed to use any other software, but I will try this in any case. This is not for myself, but for a client. I have reproduced the same issue on my PC though...

grim

Expert Member
I use Cisco VPN on Win8 x64 without any issues.

Here's the filename from the client I'm using:
vpnclient-winx64-msi-5.0.07.0440-k9

DextrousDave

@grim - Thank you. It is strange that your work. My client is the exact same one - vpnclient-winx64-msi-5.0.07.0440-k9
I can connect but I cannot ping anything on the other side - I monitored the adapter, the packets are sent but no packets are received? Any ideas? If it is blocking on the server, why is the Windows 7 machine not blocked?

Its def not any antivirus, since I only have Windows firewall and I disabled it.

Also, I ran it as administrator as well, but no luck.

Any ideas?

grim

Expert Member
You don't have any funny routes added to your Win8 machine?

CMD -> route print

To check your routes, add -4 to only see IPv4 routes