VPNs now limited to 1Mbps?

quovadis

Executive Member
Lol so Rain is just blanketing all VPN connections together and limiting to 1mb? what an absolute joke!
Can you imagine people working from home for a company that requires a VPN connection to certain resources? That is legitimate traffic but it gets lumped into the same pool as people trying to bypass restrictions that shouldnt exist in the first place.
If they are shaping vpn traffic i think you’ll find that they probably are shaping to known public providers and not Widget inc’s VPN server.

Sachen

Its not just the VPN UDP or TCP connections, They are also limiting Google play(without using a VPN) to 1mbps. I am on the 4G Unlimited package. Try downloading and checking if you are too. Also note that although VPN TCP provides a faster speed, rain has still throttled it to between 2.5-3.5mbps.

ScrooV

Its not just the VPN UDP or TCP connections, They are also limiting Google play(without using a VPN) to 1mbps. I am on the 4G Unlimited package. Try downloading and checking if you are too. Also note that although VPN TCP provides a faster speed, rain has still throttled it to between 2.5-3.5mbps.
I made a post in your thread that might help.

ScrooV

If they are shaping vpn traffic i think you’ll find that they probably are shaping to known public providers and not Widget inc’s VPN server.
Pretty sure it's port shaping - which would effect Widget Inc's vpn server, depending on configuration and protocols used.

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
Lol so Rain is just blanketing all VPN connections together and limiting to 1mb? what an absolute joke!
Can you imagine people working from home for a company that requires a VPN connection to certain resources? That is legitimate traffic but it gets lumped into the same pool as people trying to bypass restrictions that shouldnt exist in the first place.

I suppose this must be the reason that the company I work for lists Rain as a "No Go" for an ISP for us, working from home.

MikeTosen

I suppose this must be the reason that the company I work for lists Rain as a "No Go" for an ISP for us, working from home.
Same situation - have slow connection to my office, contacted rain, they confirmed the VPN throttling, so now my office also advises against rain, and I am supposed to find another ISP at my earliest convenience :oops:
I fully understand as RAIN is restricting the employees productivity.

Funny thing is, I am using another VPN for other stuff, and that one is zooming along just fine

Some proof - withholding the contacts details as he/she is helping me allot with my issues.

Whatsapp - RAIN - VPN.jpg

Out of interest, its not something new - as you can see from the date - this was already being done last year some time.

Last edited:

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
Same situation - have slow connection to my office, contacted rain, they confirmed the VPN throttling, so now my office also advises against rain, and I am supposed to find another ISP at my earliest convenience :oops:
I fully understand as RAIN is restricting the employees productivity.

Funny thing is, I am using another VPN for other stuff, and that one is zooming along just fine

Some proof - withholding the contacts details as he/she is helping me allot with my issues.

View attachment 1001514

Out of interest, its not something new - as you can see from the date - this was already being done last year some time.

Yip, my colleague was actually having issues with Rain as he didn't have a stable connection at the place where he was living at the time.
We're all on fibre now working from home.
So thankfully, this isn't a concern anymore.

Good luck to everyone else man.

Shazpm

I asked @rain_mobile whats going on with vpns but he just ignores me
Also messaged @rain_mobile but my message is flat out ignored.
I'm on the 5g Premium package. I upgraded to this for wfh. Connect to work VPN. Its become severely bad these last few weeks. If I'm connected to VPN and on a zoom call, I get dropped off the call repeatedly. Today I could barely hear the other guys on the call. I'm paying a premium for this service so I don't understand why the limitations. I'll have to find an alternative to rain. So frustrating as I was quite happy initially.