VPSnetworks a.k.a virtualservers.co.za

vpscoza

As this post has just being brought to our attention, it would only be fair for us to have an official reply to this thread.

The user Gig, who we are entirely familiar with, has been a problematic client for quite sometime and who has said in plenty of support tickets how he is going to make it his mission to slander us on public forums and report us to "authorities" (he actually even mentioned ICASA :/). Without disclosing personal details, it can be said that Gig was a late paying and eventually, non-paying customer.

Gig has sent through multiple abusive threats to our support and even under plenty requests to stop this behaviour, he continued. Eventually we sent him notice (as per our T&C) to move his hosting elsewhere as we do not wish to deal with customers such as him. He pleaded for an extension to move his domains away, we granted it. A month on, and despite 2 payment reminders, still no payment was received and he specifically stated that he will not be paying. Service was suspended. He then requested termination of his services (even though he makes out as if he didn't in the above quote from our support).

All domains are registered in clients names and email addresses and therefore, he could not accept the transfers. Gig also unfortunately does not understand the EPP system and insisted that he never gave us permission to "transfer domains away from Uniforum" - yes, quoted. All transfers were originally accepted by himself.

Further more in response to "froot" and others, we have servers with over a year of uptime. You can read more about us and our operation via our web site.

A quick search would show that we have more positive feedback out there than anything negative. Gig is about the only person to complain. It should also be said that we specifically warned him in reply to his threats that any slandering and false information would be responded to with quoted and detailed information. Should the need arise, we will be left with no choice but to do so. We also warned him that posting falsified information will result in legal action as to protect our brand.

Lastly, we are not a "one man show", as Gig would like to believe.

Evil-Twin, thank you for your kind words & support.

guest2013-1

This is from an email response I got from them when I asked for my domains to be released:

As you no longer wish to do business with us, and have specifically stated that you are not paying your outstanding balance, I will have your service terminated along with all data effective immediately.

Is that great service?

For a non-paying customer that didn't take the opportunity to move his domains when he still could? Yup. great service

In fact, I think VPS should have suspended your account after the first month of non-payment

Ipwn 4

Expert Member
For a non-paying customer that didn't take the opportunity to move his domains when he still could? Yup. great service

In fact, I think VPS should have suspended your account after the first month of non-payment

Been hosting with them for a while and must say that we actually missed a payment one month due to a daily limit and our service remained uninterrupted. We are sadly moving away due to some issues we have had with support(issues were caused by us, support just took to long to assist us where required). Their support needs some work...

The onApp package is one seriously cool service and what they offer is 100% unique to them. Not many other hosting providers(none in SA at the time we investigated onApp) offer resources and the ability to deploy VM's on demand with full control over the VPS.

vpscoza

Been hosting with them for a while and must say that we actually missed a payment one month due to a daily limit and our service remained uninterrupted. We are sadly moving away due to some issues we have had with support(issues were caused by us, support just took to long to assist us where required). Their support needs some work...

The onApp package is one seriously cool service and what they offer is 100% unique to them. Not many other hosting providers(none in SA at the time we investigated onApp) offer resources and the ability to deploy VM's on demand with full control over the VPS.

Thank you for the feedback, Ipwn 4. We are fully aware of your delayed upgrade order (referring to support) and we did respond regarding it :)

Evil-Twin

Props to vps.co.za, their service is amazing. If you want to disagree, at least post proof to back up your claims. Until then, I stand by my statement that they are one of the best vps providers in SA.

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
Okay, so I had not removed my vps and currently our VPS is sitting at 100% uptime. Several months later. Have not had to contact their support yet.

Evil-Twin

root@haiku:~# uptime
09:36:09 up 104 days, 14:21, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
root@haiku:~#

vpscoza

Okay, so I had not removed my vps and currently our VPS is sitting at 100% uptime. Several months later. Have not had to contact their support yet.

Are you referring to a server with us?

root@haiku:~# uptime
09:36:09 up 104 days, 14:21, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
root@haiku:~#

Great uptime, glad we make this happen for you :)

sahostking

104 days, nice uptime. I think MWEB has improved alot though aswell. There are not many good vps providers out there.

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
Are you referring to a server with us?

Yeah.

I purchased a another one of your vps`s, one of your cloud VPS`s.... and I like the software that runs it, but whats up with the network speeds? I am meant to have a 100mbit connection but get download speeds of 50Kb?

I tested the same download from my home adsl connection and your vps. My home ADSL pulled the file at 1Mbs. Your VPS could only manage 50Kbs..... Are you guys ganna sort that out? Is that normal?

vpscoza

Yeah.

I purchased a another one of your vps`s, one of your cloud VPS`s.... and I like the software that runs it, but whats up with the network speeds? I am meant to have a 100mbit connection but get download speeds of 50Kb?

I tested the same download from my home adsl connection and your vps. My home ADSL pulled the file at 1Mbs. Your VPS could only manage 50Kbs..... Are you guys ganna sort that out? Is that normal?

That would certainly be a first to hear of such poor network speeds. We'd be happy to look into it if you submitted a ticket and some details.

A quick test to the WebAfrica public FTP:

# wget ftp://ftp.wa.co.za/pub/centos/6.3/isos/x86_64/CentOS-6.3-x86_64-LiveCD.iso
--2013-02-05 09:09:38-- ftp://ftp.wa.co.za/pub/centos/6.3/isos/x86_64/CentOS-6.3-x86_64-LiveCD.iso
=> `CentOS-6.3-x86_64-LiveCD.iso'
Resolving ftp.wa.co.za... 41.185.24.23
Connecting to ftp.wa.co.za|41.185.24.23|:21... connected.
Logging in as anonymous ... Logged in!
==> SYST ... done. ==> PWD ... done.
==> TYPE I ... done. ==> CWD /pub/centos/6.3/isos/x86_64 ... done.
==> SIZE CentOS-6.3-x86_64-LiveCD.iso ... 725614592
==> PASV ... done. ==> RETR CentOS-6.3-x86_64-LiveCD.iso ... done.
Length: 725614592 (692M)

30% [===========================================================> ] 222,762,699 41.7M/s eta 13s <- no problems there :)

SAIX Public FTP:

# wget ftp://ftp.saix.net/pub/linux/distributions/centos/6.3/isos/x86_64/CentOS-6.3-x86_64-LiveCD.iso
--2013-02-05 09:12:46-- ftp://ftp.saix.net/pub/linux/distributions/centos/6.3/isos/x86_64/CentOS-6.3-x86_64-LiveCD.iso
=> `CentOS-6.3-x86_64-LiveCD.iso'
Resolving ftp.saix.net... 196.43.2.109
Connecting to ftp.saix.net|196.43.2.109|:21... connected.
Logging in as anonymous ... Logged in!
==> SYST ... done. ==> PWD ... done.
==> TYPE I ... done. ==> CWD /pub/linux/distributions/centos/6.3/isos/x86_64 ... done.
==> SIZE CentOS-6.3-x86_64-LiveCD.iso ... 725614592
==> PASV ... done. ==> RETR CentOS-6.3-x86_64-LiveCD.iso ... done.
Length: 725614592 (692M)

4% [=======> ] 29,990,344 13.0M/s <-- limited by SAIX

Certainly no network speed issues and the above tested from a test cloud VPS on the same network.

Telasera

Telasera representative
Company Rep
Yeah.

I am sure if you post the source server/link it would be easier to diagnose :)

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
Im annoyed. Purchased an upgrade (double the price I was paying), for more resources. Resources were not allocated for me to use. Put through a ticket at 4pm yesterday. Still no response. Not impressed :/

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
10AM.... still no response from them. Im glad my VPS does not have serious issues or I would be having a terrible day. Imagine if you had all your mission critical stuff on a VPS and you were getting these low levels of support?

So... support ticket from yesterday afternoon still not responded to. Im very disappointed.

Is it wrong for me to expect higher levels of support than what I am getting?

In the mean time (while I am waiting for someone to get to my support ticket), I am going to start googling on other South African providers using onApp... suggestions anyone?

Last edited:

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
12 o clock and no response to my ticket. This is even after phoning the number listed and speaking to a "Mark" and telling him my ticket number. I was then informed it was going to be sorted out right away. Which is clearly has not... as no one has bothered to even respond with a "we are looking into the issue" response.

rpedrica

For those interested, Memset in the UK have been doing a great job for me over the last 2 years. Reasonable pricing, metered and unmetered bandwidth options, Xen-backed MiniServer product and as near to 100% availability as is possible ( server instance and access ). The local guys are unfortunately hamstrung by high bandwidth costs - there is no way they can compete.