Vuma Reach Aerial Fibre

infrared

Hey,

So vumatel is currently installing fibre in my area via the aerial route, putting up wooden poles instead of the underground option and vumatel is offering the Vuma Reach fibre option for the area.I should mention that the area didn't have fibre before this and this the first time we will have access to fibre. However, alot of residents in the community are not happy with this method of installing fibre in the area. Their concerns are:
* criminals possibly using the poles to jump into yards.
* the poles could fall due to strong winds or rain and damage property or even hurt people
* they are not aesthetically pleasing
* possible fire hazard as they are wooden poles and not rubberised or treated.

There might be other concerns but these are all the main ones. I do understand their concerns but we have already waited so long for fibre and now that we are finally getting it, there's backlash from the community.

So my question is to someone that is in the know of these things and the people that have Vuma Reach in their respective areas or aerial fibre, are any of the concerns really valid and is aerial fibre really so bad? What has been yours and your community's experience with Aerial Fibre? Any major incidents due to the poles. And can an area get Vuma Reach but with underground fibre. Because I know for a fact that majority of the community won't be able to afford fibre unless it's at the price that Vuma Reach is offering which is relatively cheap for the speeds you are getting.

Toastmaster

So Openserve did aerial fibre in our area. There was a couple of people complaining about it on the security group but Openserve worked so fast that before they could officially mobilize against them, they were already done and left the area.

I've got a pole in my yard and it's not pleasing to the eye but it's rock solid, cemented into the ground and neatly done. No hanging wires. No incidents yet, just looks a little out of place.

If someone planned to jump your yard they would do it with or without a pole as they have a motive anyway.

PPogba

Hey,

So vumatel is currently installing fibre in my area via the aerial route, putting up wooden poles instead of the underground option and vumatel is offering the Vuma Reach fibre option for the area.I should mention that the area didn't have fibre before this and this the first time we will have access to fibre. However, alot of residents in the community are not happy with this method of installing fibre in the area. Their concerns are:
* the poles could fall due to strong winds or rain and damage property or even hurt people

There might be other concerns but these are all the main ones. I do understand their concerns but we have already waited so long for fibre and now that we are finally getting it, there's backlash from the community.

So my question is to someone that is in the know of these things and the people that have Vuma Reach in their respective areas or aerial fibre, are any of the concerns really valid and is aerial fibre really so bad? What has been yours and your community's experience with Aerial Fibre? Any major incidents due to the poles. And can an area get Vuma Reach but with underground fibre. Because I know for a fact that majority of the community won't be able to afford fibre unless it's at the price that Vuma Reach is offering which is relatively cheap for the speeds you are getting.
The workmanship from the company contracted to Vuma is extremely poor. They were not very considerate in placing these poles in strategic areas. Poles were erected in areas that are causing an extreme inconvenience to residents. Majority of the residents were unaware of the putting up of these poles. There was absolutely no public consultation. Many residents had their water mains burst during the digging process. The communication from Vuma has been extremely poor. I think residents just need assurances regarding the poles, and assistance where the poles are causing an inconvenience.

infrared

So Openserve did aerial fibre in our area. There was a couple of people complaining about it on the security group but Openserve worked so fast that before they could officially mobilize against them, they were already done and left the area.

I've got a pole in my yard and it's not pleasing to the eye but it's rock solid, cemented into the ground and neatly done. No hanging wires. No incidents yet, just looks a little out of place.

If someone planned to jump your yard they would do it with or without a pole as they have a motive anyway.
I see. Don't mind me asking but is the pole in your backyard or on the pavement in the front because I have heard that they install the poles in the backyards as well.

infrared

The workmanship from the company contracted to Vuma is extremely poor. They were not very considerate in placing these poles in strategic areas. Poles were erected in areas that are causing an extreme inconvenience to residents. Majority of the residents were unaware of the putting up of these poles. There was absolutely no public consultation. Many residents had their water mains burst during the digging process. The communication from Vuma has been extremely poor. I think residents just need assurances regarding the poles, and assistance where the poles are causing an inconvenience.
I didn't expect someone from the area I'm talking to be here. But I just got a few questions for you? How is the workmanship poor? If you are talking about the mess they are leaving that's because they are still in installing the poles everywhere and they will clean up once everything is done. Im already seeing that in a few places. How are the poles causing inconvenience? Is somebody running into them or can people not park their cars or what is it? The water burst would have happened on a larger scale if the installation was done via underground fibre. Residents were made aware that it was going to be aerial fibre, I remember the person who was doing the volunteering clearly stating thats it's going to aerial fibre. So objecting now against poles doesn't make sense.

However I do agree with you that vumatel has not been communicating with the residents. But some residents don't want the poles at all. And that way we will never get fibre. And if we do get fibre via the underground option the packages wont be so cheap. I know for a fact majority of the residents won't be able to shell out the normal prices for fibre. I'm honestly tired of the current ISP in the area, if you know who I'm talking about. The price I'm paying now, I can get 4x the speed with this fibre and good customer service. The current ISP is absolutely horrible. It's a tough situation or maybe its just blowing out of proportion. Let's hope for the best.

Toastmaster

I see. Don't mind me asking but is the pole in your backyard or on the pavement in the front because I have heard that they install the poles in the backyards as well.
Mine is inside my yard next to the house. Openserve installed in the back as well so you can't even see from the street, but I live in a property with 2 houses on. There's a name for the type of property, just eluded my mind now :)

If I didn't have a second one in my yard you would not even know we have aerial fibre.

infrared

Mine is inside my yard next to the house. Openserve installed in the back as well so you can't even see from the street, but I live in a property with 2 houses on. There's a name for the type of property, just eluded my mind now :)

If I didn't have a second one in my yard you would not even know we have aerial fibre.
Thanks for your response. And I think it's a duplex if I'm not mistaken.

KS17

Hey,

Vuma Reach in Cape Town was trenched. Last I heard its more expensive to deploy via trenching.