Vuma Reach Fibre - Mitchell's Plain/Strandfontein

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
So if i topup my payfast account that can allow afrihost to take payment from my payfast balance right?

Hi,

Unfortunately that will also not work as it's a subscription linked to a card and not the payfast account as a whole. If you top up your payfast account you will find that the money will just remain in the payfast wallet and not be used for the recurring subscription.

CapoPlays

Vumatel flat out have said that the Vuma Reach network design is not made for speeds faster than 40mbps. Upgrades to speeds will require massive investment and that isn't happening soon. Sorry dude
You wrong the original VR model was to design a low cost gpon network using low cost material and to power each house with 100mbps for R89 in soweto, but vuma changed their mind, btw remember every school in mitchells plain has 1gbps connection via vuma reach network

KS17

You wrong the original VR model was to design a low cost gpon network using low cost material and to power each house with 100mbps for R89 in soweto, but vuma changed their mind, btw remember every school in mitchells plain has 1gbps connection via vuma reach network
Reach runs on contention ratios of 64:1 on a 2.5GB/s card where as core was 10:1 on a 10GB/s card, last I heard. Most schools have Neotel lines.

Jaseyyxx

Reach runs on contention ratios of 64:1 on a 2.5GB/s card where as core was 10:1 on a 10GB/s card, last I heard. Most schools have Neotel lines.
Best bet then would be to upgrade the cards to XGS-PON which is 10gbps symetrical, that split 64 ways should give each customer at least 160mbps symetrical by my math

Jaseyyxx

Best bet then would be to upgrade the cards to XGS-PON which is 10gbps symetrical, that split 64 ways should give each customer at least 160mbps symetrical by my math
Not sure if this will require new ONTs or if the tech is interchangeable

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
Vumatel flat out have said that the Vuma Reach network design is not made for speeds faster than 40mbps. Upgrades to speeds will require massive investment and that isn't happening soon. Sorry dude
If only you knew, but we wont get into what we know

No such thing as cant.. they just dont want to. Imagine limiting yourself on such a model. Now with OS starting to enter in these areas, they will be under immense pressure to relook at this.

If their network is limited to 40/10, and another FNO comes in and can provide faster speeds, its overs for them. Cant look at now only, and build something that in a few years will no longer be good enough.

Last edited:

CapoPlays

If only you knew, but we wont get into what we know

No such thing as cant.. they just dont want to. Imagine limiting yourself on such a model. Now with OS starting to enter in these areas, they will be under immense pressure to relook at this.

If their network is limited to 40/10, and another FNO comes in and can provide faster speeds, its overs for them. Cant look at now only, and build something that in a few years will no longer be good enough.
Its because vumatel think we in a non afluent area all we can afford is R399 , bruh most household spent close to R1500 on entertainment they drive GTIs have 60inch TVs and all that in a wendy , like i said the current network can support to provide each home with a min of 50/20 and 100/50 But vuma is afraid they will lose profit if only 1 or 2 persons upgrade

CapoPlays

They wont do that because of their prepaid low cost gpon fibre model they bragged about

CxJx2011

You wrong the original VR model was to design a low cost gpon network using low cost material and to power each house with 100mbps for R89 in soweto, but vuma changed their mind, btw remember every school in mitchells plain has 1gbps connection via vuma reach network.
You having a few schools at 1gbps won't make a difference to the network design. I can't be wrong that is literally what an Vumatel operations person said.

It can definitely be changed later on but will require massive changes to network design, obviously the split they are using meant they could saving millions of Rands.

CxJx2011

Its because vumatel think we in a non afluent area all we can afford is R399 , bruh most household spent close to R1500 on entertainment they drive GTIs have 60inch TVs and all that in a wendy , like i said the current network can support to provide each home with a min of 50/20 and 100/50 But vuma is afraid they will lose profit if only 1 or 2 persons upgrade
Dude most people dont spend that, a fair amount sure but most people don't care enough about super fast internet. Maybe if more people work from home, ultimately their obligations are to their shareholders. They will upgrade I'm sure but I would say 3-5 years depending on total costs and whatever their board members feel is a fair return and in a nominal time frame for their profit forecasts.

CxJx2011

Dude most people dont spend that, a fair amount sure but most people don't care enough about super fast internet. Maybe if more people work from home, ultimately their obligations are to their shareholders. They will upgrade I'm sure but I would say 3-5 years depending on total costs and whatever their board members feel is a fair return and in a nominal time frame for their profit forecasts.