Vuma Reach Fibre - Mitchell's Plain/Strandfontein

System error

Hi everyone

Is there anyone here that has successfully done port forwarding using the Vuma ONT/Router? (model EG8141A5)

I've seen it mentioned earlier in this thread that the devices were locked, but after contacting Cool Ideas to ask about it they told me this isn't the case (I'm assuming things have changed since then?). Vuma advised them that port forwarding can be done but they don't provide support as far as instructions are concerned.

I'm not the most knowledgeable about this kind of thing but from what I've found on Google and context clues from doing it with my previous ISP I assume I'm looking for the "Port Mapping" section. Screenshot attached of what I have right now:

port forwarding.JPG

Rules have already been set in my firewall. I've been using PFPortChecker to test and the ports still appear to be closed though.

Is there something I'm missing? Would appreciate any insight.

Thanks

devil's_child

You are on the right track, but leave your source ports empty as the connecting client generally uses random port numbers as the source port, some protocols like ntp and sometimes dns are the exception.
One thing to keep in mind is that if your ISP is using CGN (Carrier-grade NAT) like Afrihost does, luckily I could ask for a public IP to be assigned to my router, then you won't be able to port-forward as you have double NAT.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Hi everyone

Is there anyone here that has successfully done port forwarding using the Vuma ONT/Router? (model EG8141A5)

I've seen it mentioned earlier in this thread that the devices were locked, but after contacting Cool Ideas to ask about it they told me this isn't the case (I'm assuming things have changed since then?). Vuma advised them that port forwarding can be done but they don't provide support as far as instructions are concerned.

I'm not the most knowledgeable about this kind of thing but from what I've found on Google and context clues from doing it with my previous ISP I assume I'm looking for the "Port Mapping" section. Screenshot attached of what I have right now:

View attachment 1156762

Rules have already been set in my firewall. I've been using PFPortChecker to test and the ports still appear to be closed though.

Is there something I'm missing? Would appreciate any insight.

Thanks

What is your WAN IP? You probably behind CGN.

System error

You are on the right track, but leave your source ports empty as the connecting client generally uses random port numbers as the source port, some protocols like ntp and sometimes dns are the exception.

Noted, thanks

What is your WAN IP? You probably behind CGN.
One thing to keep in mind is that if your ISP is using CGN (Carrier-grade NAT) like Afrihost does, luckily I could ask for a public IP to be assigned to my router, then you won't be able to port-forward as you have double NAT.

By WAN IP, are you referring to public IP? If so, it's 102.132.210.177
How do I tell whether I'm behind a CGN, does anyone know if this applies to Cool Ideas?

I appreciate you guys taking the time to reply

devil's_child

By WAN IP, are you referring to public IP? If so, it's 102.132.210.177
How do I tell whether I'm behind a CGN, does anyone know if this applies to Cool Ideas?
You can compare the external IPv4 address that is shown on the router home page, when you click on the internet icon, and the external IP that is displayed when you go to something like whatismyip.com.
If they differ then you are behind a CGN.