Vuma Reach Fibre - Mitchell's Plain/Strandfontein

CT_Red

nevermind … warzone update kicked off on Xbox which killed my line

animehero

Expert Member
Woke up to a Red flashing LOS light this morning. Contacted AH just after 7 on WhatsApp. Went through the usual turn off and on again story which didn't work.
A case was logged with Vuma.
At 08:50 I got a call that a tech (From Nano) was on site but couldn't implement a temporary fix because a mouse/rat or something chewed through the fibre cable and they would have to re-run the entire thing at my cost (because apparently I let these rats roam my property).

Asked @AfriNatic about that and he agreed it shouldn't be at my cost, however nano called me back to say they can get tech scheduled as soon as I do the payment of R700.

@AfriNatic said he would dispute the ticket on my behalf which I appreciate, but unfortunately need that line up asap so paid the fee. A tech is scheduled for 08:00am tomorrow.

Will let you guys know how it goes, and I also need to go hunt some damn rodents tonight xD

Max92733

Good evening

Does anybody know where on the router I can block certain IP addresses. Tried googling and youtubing it but can't find our router that vuma supplied. Also tried looking through the options on the router but can't find anything.

Can anyone point me in the right direction. Thanks

Below is the instructions
  1. Gain access to your router.
  2. Find the screen for "Static Routing" or something similar.
  3. Add entries for the servers you want to block.
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 (try 255.255.255.255 if that doesn't work)

Default gateway/Gateway IP: Your router's IP address

Destination IP: One of the IP addresses below

Metric: 2

australiaeast -20.53.213.241
westeurope - 20.82.62.217
southcentralus-40.74.160.107
japaneast - 20.89.85.19
japanwest - 104.46.232.223
northeurope - 20.93.96.74
westus - 13.73.33.93
westus2 - 20.99.161.82
northcentralus - 20.98.11.58
eastus2 - 52.184.222.204
eastus - 52.152.253.13
southeastasia-20.43.154.231
centralus - 20.84.128.18
brazilsouth - 20.201.11.149
eastasia - 13.75.49.198

animehero

Expert Member
I'm connected again. Actually was connected at 9am this morning.

I must say, aside from the cost aspect, it was a very pleasant experience. The guys arrived 5 minutes early so 07:55, knew exactly what to do and got it done without wasting too much time.

They added an additional box (probably the spliced joiner, sorry not sure what that one is called) on the wall, I asked them to add an additional 2 plugs and screws so I could hang my mini UPS on the wall as well which they did without any problems and left enough slack in the ground box side incase it needs something like this again.

I didn't manage to find the rat but hopefully it had its fill of cable and is crapping out internet somewhere else xD

Also had my cable vandalized last weekend but only by some much bigger rats. Whole cable had to be replaced. Contacted MWEB and they gave me an estimate of R1700. Thought that was ridiculous. Checked on FB Market and found a guy who would do it for R1000 including cable. He was at my place within 2 hours coming from another site. Luckily we could use most of the PVC pipe from previous installation and I only had to buy an additional length for R29 from the local hardware. Also had the PVC pipe previously exposed to the public routed behind my neighbors wall (they are very kind) and then into my property so as to avoid this happening again in the future with no fuss from the installer. He also added the additional box to my wall.

Jaseyyxx

Also had my cable vandalized last weekend but only by some much bigger rats. Whole cable had to be replaced. Contacted MWEB and they gave me an estimate of R1700. Thought that was ridiculous. Checked on FB Market and found a guy who would do it for R1000 including cable. He was at my place within 2 hours coming from another site. Luckily we could use most of the PVC pipe from previous installation and I only had to buy an additional length for R29 from the local hardware. Also had the PVC pipe previously exposed to the public routed behind my neighbors wall (they are very kind) and then into my property so as to avoid this happening again in the future with no fuss from the installer. He also added the additional box to my wall.
Isnt that illegal considering its Vumas infrastructure? Not bashing you or anything just curious

animehero

Expert Member
Who did the initial installation?
Mine was done by nano fibre, and on the form for Vuma Reach, it says R700 flat rate whether it's 1m or 30m of fibre for a repair. I don't have a pic of the form though, so I just find it strange that Mweb is giving you some other pricing

Who did the initial installation?
Mine was done by nano fibre, and on the form for Vuma Reach, it says R700 flat rate whether it's 1m or 30m of fibre for a repair. I don't have a pic of the form though, so I just find it strange that Mweb is giving you some other pricing
Yes that estimate from MWEB was very shocking. I did not take the details of the installers I'm afraid but I do have the installation check-list forms and will have a look at them to see if can find any further information. I was desperate at the time and needed to get the site back online in a hurry so I did not do too much looking into the pricing.

I did find this in the Vumareach FAQ:
Re-installation: Moving of the Fibre Device or changing of the fibre route after the installation will incur a fixed cost of R700. This amount needs to be paid to the installation contractor directly.

Not sure if it applies to fibre breaks though.

CapoPlays

Yes that estimate from MWEB was very shocking. I did not take the details of the installers I'm afraid but I do have the installation check-list forms and will have a look at them to see if can find any further information. I was desperate at the time and needed to get the site back online in a hurry so I did not do too much looking into the pricing.

I did find this in the Vumareach FAQ:
Re-installation: Moving of the Fibre Device or changing of the fibre route after the installation will incur a fixed cost of R700. This amount needs to be paid to the installation contractor directly.

Not sure if it applies to fibre breaks though.

Eff vuma lol why tf would i payR700 to relocate my ont , eff that i did it myself no problems

CxJx2011

Eff vuma lol why tf would i payR700 to relocate my ont , eff that i did it myself no problems
most people are not you and definitely shouldnt try and just relocate it. If by any chance they mess it up it will cost them that plus however long it will take to get a tech out to sort it

Jaseyyxx

This Vuma rep, seems more like one of Auntie's skinnering with the neighbours while hanging the washing. :cautious:

But let's hold thumbs!
Yeapbut those stories turn out to be truebut the vuma reach tshwane page posted about the higher speed offering coming, up to 100mbps possibly