Vumacam’s ‘hundreds of thousands of cameras’ will be watching you

Grant

Honorary Master
Imagine this: Cameras that record when you leave your house, when you arrive at work, and when you decide to secretly duck out to the mall on your cigarette break.

They may see when you enter and exit a lingerie store, and perhaps even film what goes into your gift bag. When you call home to say you’re working late, they record the truth: you leaving the office early and arriving at an up-market security estate 30 minutes and 23 seconds later. All of these cameras are connected to the surveillance system of one private company.

Vumacam CEO Ricky Croock says it is gearing its system to include “hundreds of thousands of cameras”. Vumacam currently has over 5,000 cameras that have sprung up throughout Joburg’s suburbs since 2019. Croock elaborated on his ambitions in an interview with TechCentral in June last year.

Added to thousands of street cameras in major South African cities, the company plans to connect its surveillance system to privately owned cameras in shopping centres, security estates and “things like that”, said Croock.

Last edited:

SAguy

Executive Member
Being recorded isn't so much the issue for me. Where it becomes an issue is when they start using facial recognition, combined with other data sources to build up profiles of people.

Walk into adult store once and for the rest of your life you get emailed coupons for double sided alien dildos.

Edit: Also insurance companies, I'm sure they'd love to see what you were doing before an accident.

Pegasus

Executive Member
It’s racist.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
So called privacy, right got it. Who needs that?

Yes its a slippery slope and all that of course... but in a public space your right to privacy is seriously limited purely due to the nature of the space. Vumacams aren't really limiting your privacy but more building a "log" of your activity in a public space.

And yes, there is that concern of building a profile on you or your car, these are not things that are impossible without the Vumacam, just considerably more difficult and costly.

s0lar

Expert Member
You don't have privacy on a public street.

Literally by definition.
If I go stand out side in a public place being creepy and watching people movements it’s a problem but just dandy if it’s a camera?

Ofcourse I am doing so with your “security” in mind.

rietrot

Honorary Master
If I go stand out side in a public place being creepy and watching people movements it’s a problem but just dandy if it’s a camera?

Ofcourse I am doing so with your “security” in mind.
Same level of creepiness.

I didn't say Im okay with the cameras. It is just not a privacy issue.