Vumacam’s ‘hundreds of thousands of cameras’ will be watching you

Gyre

Expert Member
no, I didnt, but again you had "some" warning you were being watched, so you could slow down,
or screech to a stop to avoid a ticket,

but now these cameras are everywhere so who knows what they will think of next, nobody but the evil ANC knows.
nice money making scheme, deny it all you want.

You shouldn't need reminders to be a good law abiding citizen. This isn't a game of tag, it is the rules of the road.
Crime is a money-making scheme, this makes crime harder.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
This is my concern, explain that off then you have me as a “procammer”.

It's the law. You want privacy, you go home and close the curtains. If someone can see into your bedroom from a public space, you can't claim you want privacy. They can even take photos of you in your bedroom if they're in the street and there's nothing you can do.

Emjay

Honorary Master
Vumacam stopped replacing their cameras here after some guys kept putting ladders up at 2AM and smashing them to bits. Wonder who paid them to do that... oh wait, the entire community.

Or the security companies active in your area that will not have access to these cameras. These cameras pose a risk to them because they would make them accountable and reduce their footprint requirement, which would mean reduced revenue.

The security industry is very cut throat.

Vorastra

Executive Member
What morals tho?

We all support privacy, but we support it to different extents. In public, someone is going to see you regardless. There is already cameras in shops, malls, restaurants, parks, schools, etc.

We all condemn crime, some to differing degrees. The cameras don't impede movement, they just make movement easier to track.

And if they use my public data anyway, what can they do with it? What is different between SAPS uploading my video(walk across the street) to Youtube and a mall uploading my data(walking down the corridor) to Youtube?
You never disappointed me.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
From what I understand:

They just have the poles and the networks, then security companies (and JMPD and SAPS and neighborhood watches?) can rent the services from them (that's when the cameras are installed), the AI will flag event as it detects it and alert an operator to check the feed (the screens are black the rest of the time, and it learns from what the operator chooses to do or classify the event as) and then the operator notifies their client.

That's the same as a guesthouse I know of. Cameras all over outside. Screens in the house stay black till movement is detected and recording only takes place when there is movement with a timestamp. Easy to find anything that happened without fast forwarding through tons of nothing.

CB40

Expert Member
says the man who hasn't seen those cops hook up a non functioning camera up to generate some bribes,
since when has it ever stopped our enterprising JMPD from getting their bribes?

all it takes if for Cele to wake up on the wrong side of the bed and decide to utilize all these hi quality cameras to generate some funds.
im certain when Etolls get scrapped, those cameras will be used to measure speeds as well. and generate a steady stream of income to buy worthless "Police cars" for the Fat cats.
Good, I do not have a problem when you see the way people drive in this country. They need to be nailed with heavy fines.

I travel extensively in GP,LP.FS & NC and what really pisses me off are the PoEses who overtake on blind rises, double white lines and even in the emergency lanes.

Mekon

Expert Member
Funny how Sanral couldn't say with accuracy when/where Duduzane Zuma went under the gantries at the time of his accident, maybe they did Jacob a solid?
Obviously. Wasn't the Zuma toad still president at the time?

Vorastra

Executive Member
Every house should have a camera pointed at the front door/gate.
It's the right thing to do.

Gyre

Expert Member
Every house should have a camera pointed at the front door/gate.
It's the right thing to do.

Wouldn't you feel safer? People usually have to pay for that kind of security.

Imagine tho, that they're not watching your door but actually the whole street. With thieves, they can get the car registration, they can see which off ramps they use, they can tell which suburb they pull into.

Is everyone moaning about these cameras not anti-crime?

Vorastra

Executive Member
Wouldn't you feel safer? People usually have to pay for that kind of security.

Imagine tho, that they're not watching your door but actually the whole street. With thieves, they can get the car registration, they can see which off ramps they use, they can tell which suburb they pull into.

Is everyone moaning about these cameras not anti-crime?
You continue to not disappoint.

Emjay

Honorary Master
We have them in our area. Same cars parked off. Public drinking. Nothing happens when when reported. Security vans drive past.
This will be more about building profiles on us for targeted marketing than crime

Do you even have any idea how this would be technologically possible? :ROFL: :ROFL:

What is their business case then?

It is very simple. Give access to security companies to these feeds for a recurring monthly fee. Their business case still needs to be proven. I am skeptical the current model will be feasible.