Vumareach - Mitchells Fibre Higher Speeds

Ravenhash

:thumbsup:
Uncapped 100Mbps for R89

With the pilot project, Vumatel plans to offer uncapped fibre broadband services to the residents of Alexandra for R89 per month.

It aims to do this in a way that is commercially-sustainable, without subsidising the township network with profits from clients in affluent suburbs.

To achieve this, Vumatel said its service in townships will not be the same as in the suburbs.

It said it does not “contend” lines in the suburbs. In other words, as far as your download connection is concerned, each house in a suburb effectively has its own line.

Vumatel states that in the underlying gigabit passive optical networking layer, connections are statistically uncontended.

For its township broadband project, Vumatel will run lines at a 1:20 contention ratio. This means that 20 homes will effectively share the same main line to the Internet.

Vumatel will also roll out fibre by hanging cables overhead from poles, which is faster and cheaper than trenching.

Plans for the project have been submitted to the municipal council for approval.

“Once we receive these approvals, we will proceed with the first phase of the project,” said Vumatel.

Can we have an indication of when faster speeds will be available? Honestly 20Mbps is awesome but in comparison to international standards it feels like a joke. I believe that there are many people who wouldn't mind paying premium price for a premium service as long as we also have options like other areas on the Vumatel Network.

Just a thought. Show interest if you covered with Vumareach. By the way thank you Vuma Team for least coming to our area :thumbsup:

CrypticZA

They probably rethought the idea of giving the original 100 meg, and will most likely keep it at max 20meg - unless other areas have faster speed? I have never heard of this actually going live.

If they had to give it at a reduced price (higher speed) they would have a lot of angry people to deal with saying its unfair etc, i see it is like R300 odd for a 20/10 28 day voucher on the fibre in your area, for comparison we pay R809 per month for a 20/2 - on the same network the 20/10 for you guys is R389, so you can imagine if they offered a 100meg at a reduced price how angry some people will get.

Just my 2 cents

I see on Supersonic you can choose the normal products though?

KOPITE

Executive Member
We grateful for what Vuma are doing by rolling out fibre in areas who would have never experienced fibre in like 10 years or more in so called lower income areas. I don't think the fibre providers nor the isps have any idea how hungry the public are for fast internet speeds. They will soon realize when those areas become live and people will start to demand faster speeds and not be limited because you not in living in an affluent area. Good luck to them.

I'm not sure why other providers haven't come to the party yet

Ravenhash

Thanks @CrypticZA
I have applied and followed the complete process with Supersonic. Afrihost tried and the order was retracted as those speeds "were not available from Vumareach"
Will see what the out come is, hopefully if Vumareach sees a demand they will have faster speeds available considering the max available DSL for years has been 10Mbps @ R 1100 to Telkom anyway. Therefore I don't see why spending another R100 - R200 on top of the R1100 would be a problem for 100Mbps.

KOPITE

Executive Member
So you saying they will allow you the 100meg line or will MF force you to downgrade.

I also signed up with Afrihost 100mb/s up and down. Will see what happens

Ravenhash

@KOPITE I had an order with Afrihost for 100Mbps retracted. You will see they removed the other packages on their Website unlike Supersonic. My assumption is Supersonic will cancel that order as well unless with some miracle Vumareach / MitchellsFibre allows faster speeds before that order gets processed. So I'm currently connect with the 20Mbps/10Mbps with hopes of higher speeds soon.

KOPITE

Executive Member
I don't know if you guys has seen on the Vumareach website, but Webafrica has been nominated now.

Anyone can confirm this and maybe the other providers have to much roll outs planned.

SamWill

@KOPITE I had an order with Afrihost for 100Mbps retracted. You will see they removed the other packages on their Website unlike Supersonic. My assumption is Supersonic will cancel that order as well unless with some miracle Vumareach / MitchellsFibre allows faster speeds before that order gets processed. So I'm currently connect with the 20Mbps/10Mbps with hopes of higher speeds soon.
@Ravenhash Is that with the WebAfrica deal? I see on the WebAfrica site there is no router and it is on the ONT. Is this what you have?

SpyDIR

Is there no way to get more bandwidth over Vumareach? I am hesitant to place an order for the 20/10 package as I would like a 50/50 package instead. Webafrica seems to be the only ISP my area can use at the moment. I placed a 50/50 order with Afrihost but my order seems to have cancelled.