Vumatel comes under fire for high fibre prices

Swa

Honorary Master
While everyone is bashing Vumatel please remember that without Vumatel having started the whole FTTH initiative we would not be in the situation of having so many choices. Also remember that they were the FNO that launched the double speed promotion last year that most other FNO's followed with Openserve not even giving it to all of their customers.
They didn't start the FTTH initiative and got far too much free press for it. They also weren't the first to start with speed upgrades as Openserve has continually put pressure on the market with higher speeds at lower prices.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Sustainable business model se ma. If Openserve was in my area I'll jump ship from Vuma in a second.

Vuma will then come crawling back for business with lower prices, saying theyre trying to be competitive.

GhostSixFour

!=Ghost64
without all of us paying these kak prices they certainly couldnt offer that R299 vuma reach packages yes. the prices are only going up...

if i recall correctly its a 20/10 @ R299

This was exactly what I wanted to add. They have a whole other ISP providing stupid cheap fibre - and absolutely, the ones paying full price are subsidizing their cheap internet.

HS2000

Just for reference on this front.

I think it took us getting around 70% "interest" in our area of around 2000 houses+ before we even saw any official movement from a FNO in terms of a fibre rollout in the area, so your twelve houses doesn't even scratch the surface of the interest they need to see before spending a cent in an area.
It just further proves my issue.

Why am I doing Their job for Them?

Data consumption has increased tremendously since the beginning of covid.

Doee it really cost them a ton of money to leave marketing info in post boxes?

I even approached the neighbourhood whatsapp group. Most people were on Telkom or on Rain.

I discussed the shortcomings of rain but people weren't interested on waiting for a Fibre provider to acknowledge our existence.

Im ditching the Fibre route. Im slowly convincing the neighbourhood to sign up with Mtn wifi.

Im hoping that pans out.

Swa

Honorary Master
without all of us paying these kak prices they certainly couldnt offer that R299 vuma reach packages yes. the prices are only going up...

if i recall correctly its a 20/10 @ R299
Yes, the high paying customers are subsidising it. People can say what they will about Telkom but at least they never subsidised anybody at the cost of the greater customer base.

Thestealth

Expert Member
While everyone is bashing Vumatel please remember that without Vumatel having started the whole FTTH initiative we would not be in the situation of having so many choices. Also remember that they were the FNO that launched the double speed promotion last year that most other FNO's followed with Openserve not even giving it to all of their customers.
We're grateful for what they did and we supported them whole heartedly at the time. But that doesn't mean they can keep us pulled over the barrel ala Telkom for infinity.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
It just further proves my issue.

Why am I doing Their job for Them?

Data consumption has increased tremendously since the beginning of covid.

Doee it really cost them a ton of money to leave marketing info in post boxes?

I even approached the neighbourhood whatsapp group. Most people were on Telkom or on Rain.

I discussed the shortcomings of rain but people weren't interested on waiting for a Fibre provider to acknowledge our existence.

Im ditching the Fibre route. Im slowly convincing the neighbourhood to sign up with Mtn wifi.

Im hoping that pans out.

Simple answer, yes it does cost them a ton of money to do that sort of marketing. Its much easier to get interested parties in an area to do that leg work for them since its free.

Once they have the required level of expressed interest, then you would see the marketing spend and active involvement from the FNO because there is a possible return on that initial investment and the return is worth the risk.

Reactions: Yuu

HS2000

Simple answer, yes it does cost them a ton of money to do that sort of marketing. Its much easier to get interested parties in an area to do that leg work for them since its free.

Once they have the required level of expressed interest, then you would see the marketing spend and active involvement from the FNO because there is a possible return on that initial investment and the return is worth the risk.
Well, then Rain's marketing is paying off. I have seen ad campaigns on busses and YouTube on numerous occasions.

Most people I approached are with Rain.

Reactions: Swa

Executive Member
Still better than anything that came before it in both quality and price.

I had something break, logged a ticket and within 2 hrs they had a tech team come over and fix it all at no cost to me.

I remember the days where I'd be on hold for 2hrs at telkom. The tech then would just rock up a few days later unannounced, call me and say no-one was home and then reschedule a few days later....

So I'm ok with it all right now.

Asgard85

So because once upon a time a company was useful and competitive we should swallow everything in the future because they were among the first first and now have us by the b*lls?
This sounds like the kind of thinking around SAA.
Paying customers are entitled to view the value proposition as they are paying for it in the present - the past is irrelevant.

HS2000

Currently using Homeconnect on Vumatel at 20/20 for R888. A Openserve equivalent is 25/25 for R 588. :mad::oops:...
Wow Vumatel's pricing is garbage.

Im paying R657 for 10/10 but Afrihost/Frogfoot have doubled the speed to 20/20.

recre8

My questions is whether Vumatel's decision to use Active Ethernet instead of GPON like other providers are costing them?
It's definitely more expensive in terms of infrastructure deployment, but not sure how equipment costs compare.

Reactions: Swa

Looney

Executive Member
While I hate the fact that Vuma is more expensive, just like many, they are my only choice for fibre. It’s either Vuma Aerial or going back to 4Mbps ADSL. And that’s not going to happen. So Vuma, take my money, but please be gentle when shafting me as I’v run out of Vaseline.

Thor

Honorary Master
Is Openserve maybe not playing the standard Telkom monopoly type of game and undercutting their own cost base in a price war type of scenario to muscle out other players in areas where their is shared infrastructure?
I am 70% sure this is what is happening.