Vumatel Fibre - Plumstead, Diep River, Elfindale, Southfield and Wynberg

Xzib1t

Expert Member
Updated = 11/09/2018

Plumstead - Has gone into the deployment stage with Pre-orders open & trenching has begun. I spoke to an acquaintance, he mentioned that he was very displeased that his driveway was being dug up and why do they even need fibre anyway :laugh: (possibly one of the few that don't want fibre :sick:). Vuma opted for a hybrid network (trenched and ariel where possible)
There was a Town Hall Meeting on the 23rd of August at the NG Kerk in Plumstead [Details Here]

Wynberg (West of Railway Line) - Also gone into the Deployment Stage, open for preorders, trenching has started.
The Town hall meeting was on the 15th of August at Simon van der Stel Primary [Details Here]

Wynberg (East of Railway Line / Rosmead Ave. Side) - at about 100%, I suspect that the delay is with Vuma to update their coverage map or if you have any info post it here. Going out on a limb here: I think this area might be slated for an early 2019 build.

Elfindale/Southfield - Vuma confirmed that we have reached the threshold :thumbsup:. They have someone out looking for a POP location & they expect to start deployment in early 2019. (confirmed via: newareasct[at]vumatel.co.za)

Diep River (West of Railway line) - Sorry no fibre for you hehe :p - Vumatel have removed this area from the signup stage? Wait for Octotel instead or go have a rant at them here : [Twitter]

---------------------------------------------
Original Post:

Good evening, I trust most everyone is aware that Vumatel, has taken an interest in our area, could everyone living in the aforementioned areas, indicate their interest on Vumatel's website. If you ordered your fibre with Telkom, consider perhaps switching to Vumatel, as their network is better in my humble opinion.

https://vumatel.co.za/coverage

Tell your friends and family as well. :)

Screenshot-2018-5-18 Fibre in My Area Fibre Internet Coverage Map Vumatel.jpg

PS: I am also surprised that nobody has made a thread here yet.

/I will be printing a few leaflets and distributing them in my area (South of De Waal Road) - That is how much I want fibre.

Last edited:

Xzib1t

Expert Member
200 leaflets delivered by yours truly, ran out of paper, Vumatel says 20% of the target has been reached.

judging by the responses to this thread, I see now why Telkom never bothered to upgrade my area :whistling:

Cowboy619

200 leaflets delivered by yours truly, ran out of paper, Vumatel says 20% of the target has been reached.

judging by the responses to this thread, I see now why Telkom never bothered to upgrade my area :whistling:
We can change that

jsheed_sa

Expert Member

Did they provide you with leaflets? I'd like to canvas my area too - but so far they've ignored my requests for marketing items like pamphlets.

Xzib1t

Expert Member
607 more signups last I checked.

Pretty sure I'm banned from the Facebook group as well. For punting a website I made, shown on the leaflets which I handed out.

Xzib1t

Expert Member
My area just moved to the build in progress stage :)

Not sure how that happened, sent an e-mail to Vumatel to confirm.

Surv0

Executive Member
Plumstead is still waiting.... Vumatel confirmed there was enough interest, was just waiting on permission to proceed from council.. and thats where it ended. Hopefully soon.

Xzib1t

Expert Member
Plumstead is still waiting.... Vumatel confirmed there was enough interest, was just waiting on permission to proceed from council.. and thats where it ended. Hopefully soon.
Yeah, that is what I find strange as my area was added afterwards, aside from my efforts there has been no communication from Vumatel, however somehow we moved to the build stage before the rest of Plumstead.

Cowboy619

My area just moved to the build in progress stage :)

Not sure how that happened, sent an e-mail to Vumatel to confirm.
Same here, i suppose handing out those flyers really helped out. I wonder how long the pre order process takes

Last edited:

nova69

Kuils river pre-orders went live the first or second week in april.Trencing started 5 May if that helps to give you an idea.