Vumatel Fibre - Plumstead, Diep River, Elfindale, Southfield and Wynberg

Xzib1t

Expert Member
What lady
A lady that works for Vumatel, unfortunately I can't remember her name.

they called from a 062 768 xxxx number, and I received the confirmation e-mail from scheduling @ vumatel

AndyPandy

Got in-home fibre installation scheduled, is the fibre functional same day or is there a waiting period before the network is lit?

Cowboy619

Got in-home fibre installation scheduled, is the fibre functional same day or is there a waiting period before the network is lit?
Should be same day depending if you have your own router but also depends on the T'C's with ISP's

Last edited:

TwilightWalker

Fibre was installed and up and running today, took about an hour for the install and a few minutes for it to be activated.

Cowboy619

Fibre was installed and up and running today, took about an hour for the install and a few minutes for it to be activated.
Great stuff. What speeds and ISP? i am still waiting for sign off from our complex before home installations

Xzib1t

Expert Member
So my install was scheduled for today, installer arrived and lo and behold there is no fibre in the grey boundary wall box.

I'll have to wait another week for them to move the box / I need to share a box with my neighbor who has fibre (or something like that, it made no sense)

I was wondering when Vumatel became Telkom :)

TwilightWalker

So my install was scheduled for today, installer arrived and lo and behold there is no fibre in the grey boundary wall box.

I'll have to wait another week for them to move the box / I need to share a box with my neighbor who has fibre (or something like that, it made no sense)

I didn't have a grey box either but they went ahead with my install anyway.

Xzib1t

Expert Member
I didn't have a grey box either but they went ahead with my install anyway.
They can take the Fibre from the black box and run it through to your house
So I'll assume they have done it this way running it straight from the blackbox in the ground?
The installer mentioned that it could be possible by there would be a lot of hoops to jump through :(

TwilightWalker

So I'll assume they have done it this way running it straight from the blackbox in the ground?
The installer mentioned that it could be possible by there would be a lot of hoops to jump through :(
Yeah, mine was run from the black box. Told the installer I don't have one of the grey boxes and he said it was not a problem. They did seem to have about 10-15 minutes of troubleshooting but no major issues.

Cowboy619

They could have taken it from the black box. Seems like someone was lazy to work today
And here I am trying to get them to sign off our complex. Supposed to be today but they said next week sometime

scavern

Oh crap. I have installer coming today... really hope that fibre is in the grey box by me! I'm sure something is there as I do remember seeing Vuma guys there...

Cowboy619

Oh crap. I have installer coming today... really hope that fibre is in the grey box by me! I'm sure something is there as I do remember seeing Vuma guys there...
Double check your grey box. Open up and see

Cowboy619

All zones for Elfindale and Southfield are live. You can order

Last edited:

Venomous

Honorary Master
You check on the coverage map
You can sign up with any ISP if there is fibre in your area.
If there is no fibre then most ISPs allow you to sign up to be notified when it does become available. And that will be once vumatel/openserve/etc let all ISP know that the fibre in the area is ready for deployment to interested parties.

Maveric12

Quick question, our (Retreat) area is at a 43% interest shown on Vumatel website. At what stage do they start looking at planning for infrastructure?

Cowboy619

Quick question, our (Retreat) area is at a 43% interest shown on Vumatel website. At what stage do they start looking at planning for infrastructure?
Vumatel. Usually uses the website as reference for interest as people use fake address etc. But you will need to get actual 30% of the neighborhood. Then they would need to get funding from investors and then a go ahead from the city of Cape Town. Southfield and Elfindale took around 6 - 8 months from start to finish

Last edited: