Vumatel Fibre - Plumstead, Diep River, Elfindale, Southfield and Wynberg

prOd

Expert Member
We stay in Wynberg and they definitely doing things here, the street has already been dug up the in front of our house. On the website it says fibre is being deployed, wonder how much longer?

Xzib1t

Expert Member
We stay in Wynberg and they definitely doing things here, the street has already been dug up the in front of our house. On the website it says fibre is being deployed, wonder how much longer?
According to the material I've seen, the scheduled timeframe is from September to October 2018. So you shouldn't have to wait too long.

prOd

Expert Member
According to the material I've seen, the scheduled timeframe is from September to October 2018. So you shouldn't have to wait too long.
Let's hope - been waiting so long I've forgotten to care about it. :confused:

Cowboy619

Got a call from Vumatel this morning stating that they would like to get Southfield up and running by the end of the year. I am meeting them tomorrow

Xzib1t

Expert Member
Got a call from Vumatel this morning stating that they would like to get Southfield up and running by the end of the year. I am meeting them tomorrow
Well this is an interesting turn of events - I can confidently say I never got a call so it must just be "that side" of Southfield - ask them about my side too please :)

Cowboy619

Well this is an interesting turn of events - I can confidently say I never got a call so it must just be "that side" of Southfield - ask them about my side too please :)
The site planner will be meeting me tomorrow. I stay just over the bridge past Chilli Bar. Will get proper confirmation tomorrow

Xzib1t

Expert Member
OMG:

Edit.jpg

Can I be the first to provide a proper response (Just in case the author of this post, sees this)

Don't be stupid.
The wall box cannot aid criminals in gaining access to your home - if somehow "they" can use the wall box to traverse your wall, then the wall box should be the least of your worries.
Secondly, do not be selfish faster internet benefits the entire area that you happen to share with other people (this might be hard to comprehend considering you can't see further than your own household) but it could go a long way to actually improving security if implemented correctly.
This is a prime example of why we can't have nice things here in the suburbs.

Stop spreading misinformation and ignorance.

Sodan

Expert Member
Is this Vumatel? Also, is it possible to have both Vumatel and Octotel in the same complex?

fibre.jpeg

Xzib1t

Expert Member
Is this Vumatel?
Yeah more than likely, the pink netting around the trenches (in the background) is more often than not Vumatel.
Not sure - I'd imagine it's up to the complex owners if they'd allow two fibre companies access?

Sodan

Expert Member
Yeah more than likely, the pink netting around the trenches (in the background) is more often than not Vumatel.
Not sure - I'd imagine it's up to the complex owners if they'd allow two fibre companies access?
Thanks. I'm just a tenant, but they are looking to me to advise them. So if there are no noteworthy issues this may cause, I will say hell yes! Choice for the consumer is good. Competition is a wonderful thing.

PolarBearSA

Well, my road has hybrid network setup by Vumatel (trenched and ariel ) and from what I have seen most of the plumstead area near the m5 side has it like this. I just cant wait for it to go online already, need to get rid of copper line.
I did hear that Vumatel has got the go ahead from Wynberg area up till Plumstead area on the M5 side of the Train Tracks to install Fibre. Not sure of the other side of the tracks to be honest, This was told to me by a Telkom Rep when I called them up to find out about their Fibre connection.

Xzib1t

Expert Member
So I see Plumstead is "done" now they just have to deal with the final stage of getting everyone connected :)

What's more interesting, is that Ottery was added after Wynberg & Southfield but for some strange reason they are already in the deployment phase, whereas we were told to wait for next year...

That is very peculiar?

Edit:
From OP:

Today:
Vuma2.JPG

Surv0

Executive Member
Yeah looks like they are pretty much done, but not completely. Still patching cables together at some points.

Really want them to call me to request a date for installation now.

Surv0

Executive Member
OMG:

View attachment 560471

Can I be the first to provide a proper response (Just in case the author of this post, sees this)

Don't be stupid.
The wall box cannot aid criminals in gaining access to your home - if somehow "they" can use the wall box to traverse your wall, then the wall box should be the least of your worries.
Secondly, do not be selfish faster internet benefits the entire area that you happen to share with other people (this might be hard to comprehend considering you can't see further than your own household) but it could go a long way to actually improving security if implemented correctly.
This is a prime example of why we can't have nice things here in the suburbs.

Stop spreading misinformation and ignorance.

The amount of stupidity that exists on that group is scary. I had to leave it.. This guy sounds like a real tool as well, and he is more than welcome to request that his wall unit gets removed.. If he goes around to his neighbours he could be in a right bit of trouble with the law.

jezzad

Im on Alphen hill road, Wynberg. I missed a call from Vumatel today.
Im presuming this was a sales call, anyone else get one?

bromster

Expert Member
I can't wait until I can hang my washing out without it ending up covered in sand.