Vumatel fibre - Reservoir Hills

katastrofie

Vuma have been rolling out in Phoenix since September. They're ready to go live in Woodview by December. It's an amazing turnaround.

I thought Vuma stopped rolling out new installations in KZN over a year ago?

Have they started up again?

ripclaw

Expert Member
So, 2 bits of info that I've heard since Diwali (14 Nov 2020):
  1. The infrastructure provider seems to be Telkom. I heard this firsthand from a Telkom manager.
  2. The eThekwini municipality wants the contractor that's doing the rollout to close their trenches for the festive season and then re-dig them come January 2021.

ghostRgg

Not to mention damaging the water infrastructure as they go.
I understand how this is a pain in the ass, but I think people need to understand. Fibre will need to be trenched and all the local municipalities and their "Plans" are severely outdated. All water and electricity should be under a certain distance, so trenching fibre at like 30cm is fine, but in reality, when you start trenching you see all the patch jobs are just left near the surface and BOOM.

Not much any FNO can really do about that, besides really shallow trenching which is not allowed, or ariel which is mostly impossible due to Telkom owning all the polls (but I see Vuma got approval to do the same).

It sucks, but its a thing that will have to happen for fibre rollouts.

Macarvelah

Not to mention damaging the water infrastructure as they go.
Friend of mine in PMB says they damage electricity cables almost every week, i guess it's something that residents just have to bare with until the digging is finished

katastrofie

Now that the trenching seems to be well underway, any educated guesses as to how long before the service is actually available..?

Last edited:

Fox1

Executive Member
Now that the trenching seems to be well underway, any educated guesses as to how long before the service is actually available..?
There should be a Vumatel rep in your area. In Phoenix they have an office and they update their FB page when the network is live. They take about a month to do a ward in an area and then it's live with 3 weeks.

Reactions: Yuu

Macarvelah

There should be a Vumatel rep in your area. In Phoenix they have an office and they update their FB page when the network is live. They take about a month to do a ward in an area and then it's live with 3 weeks.
Contrary to the thread name, it's not actually Vumatel trenching in Reservoir hills

katastrofie

So lots of activity trenching and digging up driveways for a few days followed by no signs of life. Anyone seeing any progress anywhere ?

katastrofie

IMG_3673.jpg

Does anyone know what this is? I assume it’s the point at which the complex links up to the main fibre line...?

• Love

katastrofie

Going to pre order soon

That’s cool. Which ISP are you considering?

How does it work with fibre - do you have to register with the fibre provider first and then separately with the ISP, or can it all be done through the ISP?

cavedog

Honorary Master
That’s cool. Which ISP are you considering?

How does it work with fibre - do you have to register with the fibre provider first and then separately with the ISP, or can it all be done through the ISP?

Metro Fibre has 2 types of installations.

1. Access build
2. ONT Drop

Metro Fibre allows you to order the free termination point installation if the build is still in progress. If you want you can arrange for that. The only difference it makes is the amount the installation costs. In some cases ISPs charge you for the installation or if it's free the amount is "paid off" after 12 or 24 months being with them.

If you don't get the Termination point installed during the build process you can still just order the install with the ISP. When the ISP places the order they will know the install is an access build meaning both the termination point and ONT needs to be installed and then Metro Fibre will charge the ISP the full installation charge.

If you get the free termination point installed during the network build. When the area goes live, and you place an order with the ISP, it will still be a new install but only an ONT drop and not an Access Build so the charge will be lower that Metro Fibre charges the ISP.

If that is something you want to do you can because it speeds up the actual install time when the area is live. It means the contractor will just do the ONT installation which takes about 10min max and in worst cases they would just need to splice at the slim box and do the ONT activation.

katastrofie

Metro Fibre has 2 types of installations.

1. Access build
2. ONT Drop

Metro Fibre allows you to order the free termination point installation if the build is still in progress. If you want you can arrange for that. The only difference it makes is the amount the installation costs. In some cases ISPs charge you for the installation or if it's free the amount is "paid off" after 12 or 24 months being with them.

If you don't get the Termination point installed during the build process you can still just order the install with the ISP. When the ISP places the order they will know the install is an access build meaning both the termination point and ONT needs to be installed and then Metro Fibre will charge the ISP the full installation charge.

If you get the free termination point installed during the network build. When the area goes live, and you place an order with the ISP, it will still be a new install but only an ONT drop and not an Access Build so the charge will be lower that Metro Fibre charges the ISP.

If that is something you want to do you can because it speeds up the actual install time when the area is live. It means the contractor will just do the ONT installation which takes about 10min max and in worst cases they would just need to splice at the slim box and do the ONT activation.

Thank you, you are a legend and this is extremely helpful information!

So from what you’ve described, the best option is to pre-order the free termination point installation now while the build is still in progress, as it looks like there’s only upsides (cost and lead time) and no downsides to doing this.