Vumatel moves clients to slower lines and hikes prices

Wasabee!

Expert Member
Someone should notify the competition commission as this might've been against the spirit of the acquisitions of those operators (Fibrehoods etc) as this could be seen as an abuse of a dominant position.

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Vumatel explains price hikes for Fibrehoods customers

Vumatel said that it upgraded and integrated Fibrehoods fibre after it acquired the company in 2016, part of which meant changing the old infrastructure pricing.

“In acquiring Fibrehoods in 2016, Vumatel embarked on a process to integrate and upgrade the acquired infrastructure and operations to meet the business’s and customers’ required service levels and standards,” Vumatel said.

Note: The company sent notifications to all its affected service providers on 1 August 2018, stating that the new date for the pricing alignment would be 1 March 2019.

Aren't the two networks still different technologies though, and isn't the Vumatel trenched network generally recognised as superior to the aerial network previously run by Fibrehoods? Seems somewhat unfair then to charge both groups the same price.

STORMERSFAN

Vumatel explains price hikes for Fibrehoods customers

Vumatel said that it upgraded and integrated Fibrehoods fibre after it acquired the company in 2016, part of which meant changing the old infrastructure pricing.

“In acquiring Fibrehoods in 2016, Vumatel embarked on a process to integrate and upgrade the acquired infrastructure and operations to meet the business’s and customers’ required service levels and standards,” Vumatel said.

Note: The company sent notifications to all its affected service providers on 1 August 2018, stating that the new date for the pricing alignment would be 1 March 2019.
So im an ex fibrehoods client who served my 18months(signed up with fh in june 2017) with afrihost as ISP due to promotion..*contract*ended end December and I moved to cool ideas on 04/01/2019..how will I be affected..?

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
So im an ex fibrehoods client who served my 18months(signed up with fh in june 2017) with afrihost as ISP due to promotion..*contract*ended end December and I moved to cool ideas on 04/01/2019..how will I be affected..?
Did you sign up on the CISP site as a vumatel client? In that case your price is already correct. If you signed up on CISP as a fibrehoods customer, then your price will change.

STORMERSFAN

Did you sign up on the CISP site as a vumatel client? In that case your price is already correct. If you signed up on CISP as a fibrehoods customer, then your price will change.
Yes I did..however signed up in.the beginning with fibrehoods through vuma so not sure if ill still be affected

FaSMaN

Expert Member
Whats with the terribly low up speeds?
I do live streaming, and there is no way I can do it with 20/2mbps line, even the 50/5 is extremely difficult?

The problem is single network in an area...the network will keep pushing prices up to appease their shareholders, and with no competitors, they can keep squeezing consumers, most of whom have ditched Telkom lines and have no viable choice for home internet.

I'm being moved from a 100/100 line +200gb cap (was 699 when I signed up), to 20/2 for 859/ month. That will become 899 probably around June...

milomak

Honorary Master
this is one of the reasns why i always do month-to-month

it seems there is a business reason for this. it is still crappy.

i'm a coolideas cient but if they were bought by someone else, i would be awaiting to see what price changes happen. it is not an uncommon thing.