Vumatel Price change

Jbn222

If the customer upgrades, or downgrades, they will be paying the new prices yes. Only the customers on packages who are not being migrated to a different package, ie. customers already on the 50/50, 100/100 and 200/200, will not get the price reduction. Lets just wait and see what the mail from Vox says, hopefully it will be out today.
I am on a 20/20 paying R890+
I don't need anything higher.
1. Am I correct to say I will keep on paying R890+?
2. What need I do to be paying around R699 and still receive 20/20?

Adhvik

Can anyone please explain why Mind the Speed 50/50 is the cheapest (by a R100+) versus Afrihost & Coolideas on Vumatel as Mind the Speed is now comparably cheaper and faster upload than with Openserve @R790. Am i missing something that the bigger ISP providers are not highlighting ? Thanks

Drone 42

Can anyone please explain why Mind the Speed 50/50 is the cheapest (by a R100+) versus Afrihost & Coolideas on Vumatel as Mind the Speed is now comparably cheaper and faster upload than with Openserve @R790. Am i missing something that the bigger ISP providers are not highlighting ? Thanks
That was the price of their 20/20 package originally, it was also almost the cheapest on the market.

They just have good pricing.

STORMERSFAN

Expert Member
Mind the speed isp will be R620pm for a 20/10 from 1st July

ColGatvol

I am in the exact same boat as you. I am also on 20/20 paying R899pm. We will be upgraded to 50/50 at no additional cost, so from 1 July R899pm for 50/50. You can downgrade to 20/10 (20/20 package falls away) and pay R699pm, BUT from what I understand you have to pay a fee to downgrade, I have no idea if this is true or not, just what I heard from someone.

mjzar

Exactly. My parents have the same package I might advise them to downgrade. Why pay more if you want to be on the 20Mbps package? It's very disingenuous of Vox but all ISPs do this. Their fibre has been bulletproof though it's literally never gone down in the 2.5 years they've had it.
Yes you will keep paying the higher amount

1geoff99

I've just chatted with a Vox agent. He says my Vuma 50/50 speed will remain unchanged but my subscription will reduce to R899pm (R150 less than before). But if I want a speed increase to 100/100, then it will cost me R50pm more. But the likes of Afrihost and Axxess are providing 100/100 speeds for about R1000pm vs Vox at R1099pm.
I would like a speed increase without paying more, so maybe time to move away from Vox.

mallies

I hope WebAfrica is following by example. If not July, then maybe August. Else... bye-bye.

Currently, I am paying R979 for a 20/20 line.
Although, it is weird that from the looks of it the 20/20 package will fall away. Both Afrihost and CoolIdeas's new package lists will only have a 20/10 package.

Webafrica is known for being very hipster regarding their down/up packages. Will not be surprised if they have a 1000/1 deal in there somewhere.
Has anyone heard from WebAfrica? I've just checked my invoice due 1 July and it still says R929 for 20/20.

I'm also going to ditch them if they don't come to the party! I'm sick and tired of their bullshit!

isie

Honorary Master
I am in the exact same boat as you. I am also on 20/20 paying R899pm. We will be upgraded to 50/50 at no additional cost, so from 1 July R899pm for 50/50. You can downgrade to 20/10 (20/20 package falls away) and pay R699pm, BUT from what I understand you have to pay a fee to downgrade, I have no idea if this is true or not, just what I heard from someone.
not sure what ISP you are on - but most do not charge for downgrade

Johand

Expert Member
A lot of people is quite negative towards South Africa and always quotes "In other countries things are so much better". But I read this article and soon after read this article about the US Altice is reducing cable-Internet upload speeds by up to 86% next month.

I tried to get the correct prices for also doing a price comparison between our fibre and the Optimimum plans in the US but they make it a nightmare. It is advertised as starting at $40 / month (R568), but they also charge a "modem fee" of $10 / month (R142) and a "network enhancement fee" of $3.50 (R49) for a total of R759 / month (excluding taxes). But the price is "location dependent" vs our flat fees and these prices are all "special offers" for the first year only.

So all things being equal I quite like our competitive market in South Africa.

Gambit

Expert Member
A lot of people is quite negative towards South Africa and always quotes "In other countries things are so much better". But I read this article and soon after read this article about the US Altice is reducing cable-Internet upload speeds by up to 86% next month.

I tried to get the correct prices for also doing a price comparison between our fibre and the Optimimum plans in the US but they make it a nightmare. It is advertised as starting at $40 / month (R568), but they also charge a "modem fee" of $10 / month (R142) and a "network enhancement fee" of $3.50 (R49) for a total of R759 / month (excluding taxes). But the price is "location dependent" vs our flat fees and these prices are all "special offers" for the first year only.

So all things being equal I quite like our competitive market in South Africa.
You must see how bad things are in Australia. They nationalised their broadband network. Watched some horror stories on the NBN. They still stuck with data caps and slow speeds

ColGatvol

not sure what ISP you are on - but most do not charge for downgrade
I am on Vox. Like I said, not sure if it is true, only what I heard from someone not connected to Vox so might not be true. I am also considering downgrading as the 20/20 is more than enough, although with 50/50 I could actually watch 4k content on Netflix on my QLED tv... so maybe I'll wait and see if it is worth it.

rrh

Expert Member
It is probably better to wait until after 1st July before making any decisions on how to go forward :unsure: