Vumatel Price change

ngoni615

Do these ISPs actually refund hard cash or they just credit your account and call it a day? lol what if you want the refund in hard cash?

ngoni615

And this new and old pricess says ‘old selling’ and ‘new selling’ which makes me wonder if they just doing the speed upgrades and not cutting prices to match.
They definitely are adjusting the prices for sure.

nivek

Honorary Master
I queried Webafrica regarding the price change. I will be surprised if they haven't made any changes for August month.

They'll lose a lot of customers.
View attachment 1095277
I queried with Supersonic, they're playing the same game

".....kindly acknowledge that the new Vumatel prices may or may not affect how ISP's price their end-users. If we do receive a new pricelist, you will be made aware of this."

I guess the new vumatel prices may or may not affect if I'm still a Supersonic customer next month

BamboozledAttorney

I queried with Supersonic, they're playing the same game

".....kindly acknowledge that the new Vumatel prices may or may not affect how ISP's price their end-users. If we do receive a new pricelist, you will be made aware of this."

I guess the new vumatel prices may or may not affect if I'm still a Supersonic customer next month

They are going to kick themselves if they keep everyone in the dark.

I know some ISPs are resisting the change, or keep it until the deadline.

Granted, I know it's a free market and ISPs can give their own prices, but nothing is stopping me from cancelling and going to a better option. Might either go to Vox or Afrihost if Webafrica decides not to oblige to the Vumatel price restructure. Can they get fined?

Ghostfibre

Company Rep

Granted, I know it's a free market and ISPs can give their own prices, but nothing is stopping me from cancelling and going to a better option. Might either go to Vox or Afrihost if Webafrica decides not to oblige to the Vumatel price restructure. Can they get fined?
They can't be fined, but they will probably move their customers to the new line of offerings since the rest are being discontinued by Vumatel. They can also keep their pricing wherever they want, like the old pricing for the new packages, but I assume they will be competitive as usual and drop pricing eventually.

Just note it takes some time to work out commercials for some companies so might take a while before it is confirmed.

blaine666

I think I must be 1 if not 1 of very few people still on one of the very original packages at 1 of my properties and with all the upgrades over the years I have managed to keep my line since day 1 at a price that many around me envy lol, I am on VUMA using WebAfrica as my ISP costing R379pm on a 4/1mbps line.. :p Although it says 4/1 my speed tests almost always give 10mbps down so I'm happy with that, it works with no issues, streaming netflix, WFH etc. no issues but I'm thinking this one is time to upgrade now to at least 20/10.

Ghostfibre

Company Rep
I think I must be 1 if not 1 of very few people still on one of the very original packages at 1 of my properties and with all the upgrades over the years I have managed to keep my line since day 1 at a price that many around me envy lol, I am on VUMA using WebAfrica as my ISP costing R379pm on a 4/1mbps line.. :p Although it says 4/1 my speed tests almost always give 10mbps down so I'm happy with that, it works with no issues, streaming netflix, WFH etc. no issues but I'm thinking this one is time to upgrade now to at least 20/10.
Going from 4/1 (even 10/1) to a 20/10 is a night and day difference, highly recommend it.

• Love
Reactions: Yuu

nivek

Honorary Master

Vumatel cant dictate pricing to them, so cant imagine they can get fined
As you said, they're going to kick themselves when they start bleeding customers
As a business it's up to them to remain competitive.. I dont see a point sticking with an ISP if you can get the same (or better) service, double the speed, for the same price elsewhere

BamboozledAttorney

They can't be fined, but they will probably move their customers to the new line of offerings since the rest are being discontinued by Vumatel. They can also keep their pricing wherever they want, like the old pricing for the new packages, but I assume they will be competitive as usual and drop pricing eventually.

Just note it takes some time to work out commercials for some companies so might take a while before it is confirmed.
Fair enough.

But, Webafrica does not really conform with the line offerings established by the FNO. They are providing promos for packages that other ISPs aren't offering (anymore).
1624614732774.png

Not saying they won't change, but they do have a reputation for doing things partially differently.

Look at their packages for Openserve...
1624614827070.png

As far as I am aware, they are the only ISP who offers packages like these.

Last edited:

mjzar

It has been mentioned... but according to a Vox agent you can change your package, downgrading or upgrading, at no cost. It takes 3-5 days to complete the change, unless something goes wrong which never really happens, the system will calculate the pro rate on both (the old and new package). You can do it on the customer portal or via a sales agent.

Lupus

Honorary Master
According to Mweb they'll be updating customers next week.

MEG101

Always had great service from Afrihost - I have 40mbps PureDSL and pay R697 pm and Vuma is running past my house and 50mbps @ R897 and 100Mbps @ R 997 is very tempting. Considering there is no FUP (current usage for month is 3.5TB) of any kind and they offer me uncapped unshaped unthrottled internet, this new Vuma prices on Afrihost network are great. I am tempted to move to fiber soon.

Vuilhaas

Just to further illustrate the difference between the unethical ISPs, I received my email from Afrihost regarding the changes. I was originally on the 8Mbps line, which was discontinued a while ago, so they have been increasing our packages but keeping the price low for us, as and when Vumatel changes the available line speeds.

So, as per the email, I'm being pushed up to 20/10 as of 1 July, for the reduced price of R647. The speed increase is applicable from 1 July 2021, but the price increase is only from 1 August 2021. They are thus giving us a complimentary month at the reduced price. They are under absolutely no obligation to do this, but choose to do so.

Now, compare this approach to the above mentioned ISPs. They are literally doing the exact opposite thing. They are choosing to pocket the price decreases/difference for their own benefit, instead of immediately passing on savings to their clients.

droidx

Expert Member
Just to further illustrate the difference between the unethical ISPs, I received my email from Afrihost regarding the changes. I was originally on the 8Mbps line, which was discontinued a while ago, so they have been increasing our packages but keeping the price low for us, as and when Vumatel changes the available line speeds.

So, as per the email, I'm being pushed up to 20/10 as of 1 July, for the reduced price of R647. The speed increase is applicable from 1 July 2021, but the price increase is only from 1 August 2021. They are thus giving us a complimentary month at the reduced price. They are under absolutely no obligation to do this, but choose to do so.

Now, compare this approach to the above mentioned ISPs. They are literally doing the exact opposite thing. They are choosing to pocket the price decreases/difference for their own benefit, instead of immediately passing on savings to their clients.
I agree with this. Afrihost might just have another customer. I think they were very proactive with the open serve price update and now with Vuma as well.
If my isp only updates pricing in August I'll seriously consider moving. Its only R150 difference as the prices would line up in future, but if I just accept it I'm agreeing with them and I know what type of company I'd rather be dealing with.

ghostRgg

Expert Member
I do want to point out because people think this is a free upgrade from vumatel for the same price. It's a whole network speed change. The ISPs will be charged for those new line speeds.

But what afrihost is doing is a great way to handle it.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
I think I must be 1 if not 1 of very few people still on one of the very original packages at 1 of my properties and with all the upgrades over the years I have managed to keep my line since day 1 at a price that many around me envy lol, I am on VUMA using WebAfrica as my ISP costing R379pm on a 4/1mbps line.. Although it says 4/1 my speed tests almost always give 10mbps down so I'm happy with that, it works with no issues, streaming netflix, WFH etc. no issues but I'm thinking this one is time to upgrade now to at least 20/10.
Is that property in Parkhurst?