Vumatel rolling out in Alexandra will kill DStv market share

elf_lord_ZC5

Expert Member
If DSTV research is correct - then they better get there ducks in a row fast and get online - otherwise- adapt or die.

Bebobwolf

About time, DSTV needs competition. I'm one of those premium customers who left! They once gave me arrogant service, when credit card fraud occurred on my credit card and payment didn't go through to bank stopping card, never forgot it, Thanks to ESPN +, NetFlix Amazon. Crap online quality anyway!

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Not to sound patronizing or anything......but do people in Alexandra even know what Netflix is? And if they do, how will they pay for it? You have to have a credit card to sign up for it, and I dont think there are loads of people in Alex that has got a credit card? Though, the Capitec Mastercard debit card works with Netflix if you have online shopping enabled on it .... I signed up for Netflix using mine last week to see what the library is like now.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Their streaming quality sucks.

And their shows sucks...
Showmax seems to have improved a lot though from the last time I used it a few years ago. When they started the video quality was really bad ... but now it is as good as Netflix and no buffering either, even on a 4mbps line.

eg2505

Honorary Master
and this is a bad thing how? keeping the masses paying for expensive and subpar entertainment options?

with the internet one doesn't need a expensive provider, or a TV license, or anything expensive,

also it makes the big established players adapt or die out, and no amount of laws will change that equation.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Not to sound patronizing or anything......but do people in Alexandra even know what Netflix is? And if they do, how will they pay for it? You have to have a credit card to sign up for it, and I dont think there are loads of people in Alex that has got a credit card? Though, the Capitec Mastercard debit card works with Netflix if you have online shopping enabled on it .... I signed up for Netflix using mine last week to see what the library is like now.
you can buy a voucher at PNP, and you definitely can pirate quite easily
so internet in alex is a great idea.

TelkomUseless

Executive Member
Showmax seems to have improved a lot though from the last time I used it a few years ago. When they started the video quality was really bad ... but now it is as good as Netflix and no buffering either, even on a 4mbps line.
I will argue Ockie. :p

Showmax quality is "okish". I have 10 meg line (no fibre). The show(s) on Showmax would stop randomly (this was during the last week).

Dstv is streaming fine (okish quality). So it's not the ADSL line.

But I don't care for DSTV. Just mentioning it. ;)

konfab

Honorary Master
Just something like youtube is better than most of the hogwash on DSTV.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
I will argue Ockie. :p

Showmax quality is "okish". I have 10 meg line (no fibre). The show(s) on Showmax would stop randomly (this was during the last week).

Dstv is streaming fine (okish quality). So it's not the ADSL line.

But I don't care for DSTV. Just mentioning it. ;)
Strange. I have been watching SG Universe for the last few days and the video quality is great (same as netflix from what my unqualified eyes can discern) and no buffering. It has happened once or twice where in the middle of the video it stops and gives a funny error, but it says I must refresh the page....I do and then it just continues immediately from where it stopped with the error.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Just something like youtube is better than most of the hogwash on DSTV.
Well, I do enjoy my Russian Car Crash dashcam vids on Youtube. Fck ..... those things are addictive ROFL. :crylaugh:

Nithan15

Expert Member
Well, I do enjoy my Russian Car Crash dashcam vids on Youtube. Fck ..... those things are addictive ROFL. :crylaugh:
I know exactly what you mean - cant look away. Found a channel of dashcam from south Africa one is from a vehicle recovery company and the another one which has a bit of old content.