Vumatel to launch 10Gbit/s home fibre in South Africa

Gambit

Expert Member
I have a 100mb/s line and can't see the point in going to 200. So 10Gbit/s is madness. Also, I don't think you'll get high speeds from servers abroad. Maybe max 400mb/s?
On my 1Gbps line, I often get close to a 1Gbps on downloads from Europe. Interestingly the local CDN's seem to cap around 200Mbps

Supersoaker

There is no practical use for this, even if the individual is subletting lines out.

Swa

Honorary Master
Mare said the launch will be a first for a fibre network in South Africa and will put Vumatel “in front of our competitors” and will “demonstrate the scalability and resilience of our network”.

Asked about recent aggressive fibre price cuts by rival Openserve – the wholesale division of Telkom – Mare said Vumatel is not going to react. “We don’t think … a race to the bottom on prices is the strategy we should take.”
Being clueless about what the market needs. Here's your cue Telkom.

Jaseyyxx

Pity it's only on active Ethernet. Maybe they'll upgrade their GPONS to XGSPONs eventually.

• Love
Reactions: Yuu

MightyQuin

Not amused...

Mr Scratch

Expert Member
tee hee lets flex giving a house in (n)th street, parkhurst 10gbit but in the same week hike prices tee hee

Genisys

Honorary Master
Lets' ignore the bottlenecks inside residential clients' homes, while we enjoy our dick measuring contest,

Fukkin' idiots...
Bottleneck is PC's are not that fast. Cool, so someone got a RAM drive that can do those speeds, most speed test servers max out at well below 10Gb/s. Most people that will get this and have access to this won't actually know what the intention is or why they have it. They will just want it for bragging rights.

paul5186

Expert Member
Nothing more than marketing really.

Frankly I would rather have 2 x 1Gbps lines from separate fibre providers and ISP's than 1 x 10Gbps line. But hey....
I am sure there is a very small use case, e.g tech working from home having to upload content continuously. Obliviously 10Gbps to a business makes sense.

buyeye

Executive Member
They can loan me the necessary equipment.
I also don't even have proper equipment to fully use my 1gig line. Only the PC that is wired gets full use of the line. All wifi devices still on wifi 5 because I can't afford wifi 6 routers.

Adhvik

I love how these companies defer media attention with offering this 10 GBPS. Having 4-5 % on your customer "GBPS" base will erode further to 2-3 percent if pricing is not adjusted downwards as people will start voting with their pockets in the coming months. This simply means that your potential for such a fantastic offering has been reduced by half due to pricing alone.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
:unsure: Aren't these "Who needs 10gig arguments" reminiscent of when the 1gig service was launched?
No, when the 1Gbps infrastructure was launched there were LAN ports that could handle that in consumer hardware, high end WAN ports for home consumer right now are still 2.5Gbps I think (unless you go SFP).

Reactions: Yuu