Vumatel to launch 10Gbit/s home fibre in South Africa

Swa

Honorary Master
Once you've experienced downloading an entire 100Gb+ steam game in a smoke break, it becomes a need
Unlikely you'd get that on an international link. Even your standard SSD would struggle to make use of this.

Every time there is new high tier product released into the consumer space there are always people who bring up the "nobody needs this" argument.

Guess what, there were people who said that about 2Mbps lines once. Things progress, it's the natural order of things and if didn't happen then we'd still happily be watching MacGyver on our CRTs and hitting the BBS with our 56K modems.

Nobody needs 4K TVs.
Thing is back then you weren't running into the law of negative returns where now you are. No service or hardware can keep up with this. TV resolution is more than our eyes so anything more isn't perceived. You can already see the sweat glands on someone's skin yet camera resolutions are increasing beyond what people are making use of while storage isn't keeping up.

Loppas

For the time being, I see no reason a home user would actually need 1Gbps, let alone 10Gbps. 200Mbps, as it is, is perfect since at least that speed is usable in most places for the home user. Steam tops out at around 25MB/s download speed.

A transfer rate of 25MB/s is plenty.

Higher speeds are necessary in fringe cases, but then you're probably better off with a business line.
You can get as high as 100MB\s on steam depending on the server. Personally i get about 60-80 from the belgium server, limited by my cpu. Many factors at play that cause the speed to not run at its best.

Mr Scratch

Expert Member
gents 10gbit makes no sense until you live in a household with multiple users using 1gbit such as the paki shop down the ro:thumbsup:

razed

Unlikely you'd get that on an international link. Even your standard SSD would struggle to make use of this.

Thing is back then you weren't running into the law of negative returns where now you are. No service or hardware can keep up with this. TV resolution is more than our eyes so anything more isn't perceived. You can already see the sweat glands on someone's skin yet camera resolutions are increasing beyond what people are making use of while storage isn't keeping up.

London...

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
The 10Gbps plan will likely be local only - just a guess, much like the current 1Gbps. Although on the 10Gbps they may up the international link to 1Gbps.
The 1Gbps service isn't limited.

DuckKnuckle

Expert Member
For the time being, I see no reason a home user would actually need 1Gbps, let alone 10Gbps. 200Mbps, as it is, is perfect since at least that speed is usable in most places for the home user. Steam tops out at around 25MB/s download speed.

A transfer rate of 25MB/s is plenty.

Higher speeds are necessary in fringe cases, but then you're probably better off with a business line.

On Steam and Origin I get between 70 and 90MBps. No bottlenecks with my hardware. Star Citizen and Rockstar launchers both hit 124MBps, but the SC launcher is the most stable and consistent. For me, it’s about convenience.

You might want to check what server your Steam is set to, as I get better performance to the JHB server from CPT, than I do to the CPT one.

Herr der Verboten

Executive Member
Every time there is new high tier product released into the consumer space there are always people who bring up the "nobody needs this" argument.

Guess what, there were people who said that about 2Mbps lines once. Things progress, it's the natural order of things and if didn't happen then we'd still happily be watching MacGyver on our CRTs and hitting the BBS with our 56K modems.

Nobody needs 4K TVs.
"a splendour that dazed the mind and dumbed the tongue"

Stupid will stupid.

Remember 640k is enough

Herr der Verboten

Executive Member
There are anatomical limitations at which our eyes can perceive things. The average person in the average household won't even be able to tell the difference between 4k and 8k on a 50" TV.

The resolution is directly proportional to the amount of bandwidth needed to stream.

Yes, there are limits to things at which point, increasing any further becomes stupid.
... I mean this guy sees in fps

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
On Steam and Origin I get between 70 and 90MBps. No bottlenecks with my hardware. Star Citizen and Rockstar launchers both hit 124MBps, but the SC launcher is the most stable and consistent. For me, it’s about convenience.

You might want to check what server your Steam is set to, as I get better performance to the JHB server from CPT, than I do to the CPT one.
Curious, I've full throttled a game at 1Gbps, came down in 10 mins from Steam. Cabled directly.

The issue seems to be that CDN's tend to limit based on their capacity and load.

DuckKnuckle

Expert Member
Curious, I've full throttled a game at 1Gbps, came down in 10 mins from Steam. Cabled directly.

The issue seems to be that CDN's tend to limit based on their capacity and load.

You’ve helped me in the past to troubleshoot, and I’m happy with hitting those speeds. Tested with popular games as well to see if it made a difference, but not really

sand_man

Honorary Master
I'm quite happy with 1gbps, doubt my equipment supports much more than that in any event. I really have to work hard to max out the line, download manager etc... Would love to put a 10gbps line through its paces though, just for s hits and giggles...

Have moved all my media to cloud storage though and I can tell you 100mbps upload is tedious!! Initially syncing 5tb of data to the cloud took about 3 days. That's not fun... I can really see the point in 1gbps upload or higher but download? Nice to have but hardly necessary in a private environment.

And what it's going to cost per month? R3000? R4000? Can't see it being under R3000 a month....

neoprema

Expert Member
I'm not interested in 10, but i imagine 10 will be a max with some new ones coming in around 2.5, 5 etc?