@Vumatel, what is this R999 "Connection Fee" and how do you justify this?

Genisys

Honorary Master
Your comment is irrelevant. Of course ISPs will still use them. But...
Going by the complaints I say lets ask Vumatel to bump their rental pricing up and remove the connection fee. That is the ultimate solution for the complaints. If the connection fee is such a big deal to ISP's, why are they still sticking around? Most of them seem to have no issue covering connection fees. My comment was anything but irrelevant, you said "ISPs are actively avoiding them" which I responded to.

Swa

Honorary Master
Going by the complaints I say lets ask Vumatel to bump their rental pricing up and remove the connection fee. That is the ultimate solution for the complaints. If the connection fee is such a big deal to ISP's, why are they still sticking around? Most of them seem to have no issue covering connection fees. My comment was anything but irrelevant, you said "ISPs are actively avoiding them" which I responded to.
LOL. They're already more expensive. Your comment was irrelevant. It doesn't disprove what I said.

j4ck455

Executive Member
You come across as someone that will defend Vumatel to your death, why is that?

ISPs should not have to cover the costs of bogus charges that Vumatel has invented to make money out of consumers exercising their rights to choose an ISP, as the FNO, Vumatel has absolutely no right to charge R1000 every time a consumer wants to change ISPs.

Likewise, consumers should not be expected to pay R1000 in extortion money to Vumatel (directly or indirectly) when they decide to change ISPs.

Your opinion is relevant only to yourself and Vumatel, your opinion is anti-competitive and in support of Vumatel's extortion.

Meester

ISPs should not have to cover the costs of bogus charges that Vumatel has invented to make money out of consumers exercising their rights to choose an ISP, as the FNO, Vumatel has absolutely no right to charge R1000 every time a consumer wants to change ISPs.

Okay, I'm not defending Vumatel, I'll tell you about lots of issues I have with their model, and the reality is this: nobody else is in the neighbourhood serving my complex, other than Vumatel that I helped by pushing my landlord and managing agent... I'm very sorry for the flats behind me that will most probably never have fibre for various construction cost related reasons. So yes I'm both happy and ... less impressed that OpenServe is not *also* available for me, why? as I want/need a 2nd line + ISP... and Vumatel does NOT provide me that option.

SO yes, Vumatel has a heavy hand in their deploys/pricing, but it's a business/money case: you don't like it, get another FNO... I calculated the costs, and no, fighting Vumatel on these issues doesn't make sense after a while, you make the decision: Is is easier/cheaper to move to a place served by a different or multiple FNOs, or is the saving staying where I am worthwhile enough? and unfortunately the last is the case ;(

W.r.t. the "connection fees", well... I got the feeling the systems put in place to cater for this is either so expensive, they need to recuperate some of the expenses, or they are just cheap(ish) on the fibres, andwill just pay that fee for a "Techie" to implement the changes,either way: as much as I also hate that, I mitigated it by installing a fibre link at my neighbour's flat, and just connect across so now I do have multiple ISPs, thus when the one ISP is having troubles, I switch automatically to the other and continue... less stress in my life, and then I can slowly (at leisure) cancel the continuously faulting ISP, even though I have to pay the new "connection fee" that Vumatel wants/needs to keep their systems running as cheaply as possible...

In short: either"vote" with your wallet, or accept the state of affairs... and I do make stink with ISPs, you can ask both I'm with now, but then I have to admit both of them on technical and customer levels made me happy to stay with them :)
(Just wished Vumatel was more transparent for them ISPs... another debate)

j4ck455

Executive Member
Okay, I'm not defending Vumatel, I'll tell you about lots of issues I have with their model, and the reality is this: nobody else is in the neighbourhood serving my complex, other than Vumatel that I helped by pushing my landlord and managing agent... I'm very sorry for the flats behind me that will most probably never have fibre for various construction cost related reasons. So yes I'm both happy and ... less impressed that OpenServe is not *also* available for me, why? as I want/need a 2nd line + ISP... and Vumatel does NOT provide me that option.

SO yes, Vumatel has a heavy hand in their deploys/pricing, but it's a business/money case: you don't like it, get another FNO... I calculated the costs, and no, fighting Vumatel on these issues doesn't make sense after a while, you make the decision: Is is easier/cheaper to move to a place served by a different or multiple FNOs, or is the saving staying where I am worthwhile enough? and unfortunately the last is the case ;(

W.r.t. the "connection fees", well... I got the feeling the systems put in place to cater for this is either so expensive, they need to recuperate some of the expenses, or they are just cheap(ish) on the fibres, andwill just pay that fee for a "Techie" to implement the changes,either way: as much as I also hate that, I mitigated it by installing a fibre link at my neighbour's flat, and just connect across so now I do have multiple ISPs, thus when the one ISP is having troubles, I switch automatically to the other and continue... less stress in my life, and then I can slowly (at leisure) cancel the continuously faulting ISP, even though I have to pay the new "connection fee" that Vumatel wants/needs to keep their systems running as cheaply as possible...

In short: either"vote" with your wallet, or accept the state of affairs... and I do make stink with ISPs, you can ask both I'm with now, but then I have to admit both of them on technical and customer levels made me happy to stay with them :)
(Just wished Vumatel was more transparent for them ISPs... another debate)
I did exactly that out of protest and because I could, and I stayed with the same ISP (CISP), it doesn't mean that I am going to let Vumatel off the hook for its extortion business model.

Before that I took the financial hit on Vumatel by cancelling with WebAfrica and switching to CISP.

If Vumatel gets its act together, I might well consider using that FTTH line again (in addition to OpenServe) and probably still with CISP.

That said, as a consumer it is about having choices, and choosing an ISP without a greedy FNO overlord collecting taxes that it has no right to collect.

Swa

Honorary Master
I did exactly that out of protest and because I could, and I stayed with the same ISP (CISP), it doesn't mean that I am going to let Vumatel off the hook for its extortion business model.

Before that I took the financial hit on Vumatel by cancelling with WebAfrica and switching to CISP.

If Vumatel gets its act together, I might well consider using that FTTH line again (in addition to OpenServe) and probably still with CISP.

That said, as a consumer it is about having choices, and choosing an ISP without a greedy FNO overlord collecting taxes that it has no right to collect.
Even with Vumatel being the only FNO in my area I refuse to use them until they abolish these extortionist and unfair business practices as well as discrimination.

lightpixel

I wish Vumatel was in my area. I wold pay the premium. Would like to test their active ethernet. Their network structure is intriguing.

flarkit

Executive Member
Paid the VUMA connection and ISP sign-up fees in 2016. Haven't truly felt the need to change ISP's since.

Meh.

Swa

Honorary Master
Its worth it though...
Not for me. I prefer to support the smaller players and not the ones everyone else are. With Vuma that's not an option as if it's a bad provider I'm either stuck or have to fork out their R1k fee.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Not for me. I prefer to support the smaller players and not the ones everyone else are. With Vuma that's not an option as if it's a bad provider I'm either stuck or have to fork out their R1k fee.
And it's difficult for small providers to get on as a very large sign-up requirement.

j4ck455

Executive Member
And it's difficult for small providers to get on as a very large sign-up requirement.
If that is true (source?) small providers need to lodge complaints with the Competition Commission.

In its infancy, Vumatel made a point of marketing itself as an open access network operator, Vumatel seems have grown up to be a Telkom wannbe with monopolistic tendencies.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
If that is true (source?) small providers need to lodge complaints with the Competition Commission.

In its infancy, Vumatel made a point of marketing itself as an open access network operator, Vumatel seems have grown up to be a Telkom wannbe with monopolistic tendencies.
Huh? Vumatel is an open access network operator.

j4ck455

Executive Member
No, because by the accepted international telecommunications definition of an open access network operator they are.
So where is Vumatel's Certificate of Conformance to the accepted international telecommunications definition of what constitutes an open access network operator?

Reactions: Swa