VW Polo Vivo (2018)

Lupus

Honorary Master
People in SA are not that into sedans anymore, it probably doesn't make financial sense to bring it in, like Peugeot with that pretty new 508 (I think) of theirs. Plus the normal Polo sedan is still available I assume, and then you still have the Jetta and the Passat above that. Many options if you want to buy VW.
Nope they aren't bringing the new Jetta into SA, probably when there is a new Passat either and as mentioned they aren't bringing in the Virtus (which is the Polo Sedan)

Last edited:

Lupus

Honorary Master
Jetta is LHD only, therefore different story vs Polo Vivo Sedan story.
Updated, they aren't bringing the Polo sedan here either as it's been labelled as the Virtus. I forsee a lot of sedans not coming to SA as the SA market is SUV's, Bakkies and Hatchbacks. The humble sedan is going the way of the station wagon or the MPV.

Cr419

Executive Member
Someone looking at a Polo sedan probably don't want to (or can't afford to) buy an Arteon.

Nope they aren't bringing the new Jetta into SA, probably when there is a new Passat either and as mentioned they aren't bringing in the Virtus (which is the Polo Sedan)
I read the current Jetta will still be available here until sometime next year.

Last edited:

RoosTa

Expert Member
The reason why Vivo is still selling, is so the VW SA can sell the normal Polo at a premium:

Here are the prices the Auzzies are paying for the new 2018 Model:
70TSI Trendline manual — $17,990 / ZAR 175,676.44 - (VWSA: ZAR 235,000.00)
But get this! They don't skimp on the features either!

The following comes standard with the car: (SA "optional" Prices in brackets)
Cruise Control (R1,816)
Front and Rear Electric Windows (Front only)
Leather Multi-functional Steering Wheel (R1,715)
Electrically heated and adjustable exterior mirrors (R857.90)
Rear View Camera (Optional)
Pedestrian Monitoring (Not available)

Though, just to add some salt on to the wound, VWSA gives us a big FU:
AppConnect (R1,513) - If you want to add it onto your SA "deal", which is only optional and available to Comfortline (R265k), you HAVE to take:
Radio "Composition Media" incl. 8ZH [6 Speaker, Bluetooth] (R3,026.80) + Voice Control (R756) which comes all STANDARD with AU's baseline model.

70TSI Trendline auto — $20,490 / (Not available)
85TSI Comfortline manual — $19,490 (R190,169.13)
85TSI Comfortline auto — $21,990 (R214,558.40)
85TSI Launch Edition manual — $20,490 (R199,922.77)
85TSI Launch Edition auto — $22,990 (R224,315.49)

This only feature I found cheaper was:
Metallic/pearl-effect paint — $500 : VWSA - R979

on the 85TSI, here are its standard features:

1.0 litre TSI engine; 85 kW; BlueMotion Technology
6 speed manual transmission
Air Conditioning, manual control
Alloy wheels (Sassari) 15"
App-Connect USB Interface for Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and MirrorLink
Auto-dimming rear view mirror
Chrome highlights to interior and exterior
Composition Media audio system
Cruise control system
Driver Fatigue Detection system
Electrically heated and adjustable exterior mirrors
Electronic engine immobiliser
Front Assist with City Emergency Brake (City EB) function
Front centre armrest
Height adjustment for front seats
Height and reach adjustable steering wheel
Hill start assist
Illuminated vanity mirrors
Interior lights with switch-off delay and dimmer; Reading lights, front & rear
Leather multi-function steering wheel
Low light sensor with automatic headlight function; coming/leaving home function; LED daytime driving lights
Low tyre pressure indicator
Multi-Function Display (MFD Plus)Pedestrian Monitoring
Rain sensing windscreen wipers
Rear View Camera (RVC) with static guidance lines
Split/folding rear seat backrest
Visual/acoustic warning for front seat belts not fastened; Visual indicator for rear passenger seat belt status
I'd say we are paying R100k more for the car that our Ozzy Friends

Last edited:

Lupus

Honorary Master
The reason why Vivo is still selling, is so the VW SA can sell the normal Polo at a premium:

Here are the prices the Auzzies are paying for the new 2018 Model:
70TSI Trendline manual — $17,990 / ZAR 175,676.44 - (VWSA: ZAR 235,000.00)
But get this! They don't skimp on the features either!

The following comes standard with the car: (SA "optional" Prices in brackets)
Cruise Control (R1,816)
Front and Rear Electric Windows (Front only)
Leather Multi-functional Steering Wheel (R1,715)
Electrically heated and adjustable exterior mirrors (R857.90)
Rear View Camera (Optional)
Pedestrian Monitoring (Not available)

Though, just to add some salt on to the wound, VWSA gives us a big FU:
AppConnect (R1,513) - If you want to add it onto your SA "deal", which is only optional and available to Comfortline (R265k), you HAVE to take:
Radio "Composition Media" incl. 8ZH [6 Speaker, Bluetooth] (R3,026.80) + Voice Control (R756) which comes all STANDARD with AU's baseline model.

70TSI Trendline auto — $20,490 / (Not available)
85TSI Comfortline manual — $19,490 (R190,169.13)
85TSI Comfortline auto — $21,990 (R214,558.40)
85TSI Launch Edition manual — $20,490 (R199,922.77)
85TSI Launch Edition auto — $22,990 (R224,315.49)

This only feature I found cheaper was:
Metallic/pearl-effect paint — $500 : VWSA - R979

on the 85TSI, here are its standard features:

I'd say we are paying R100k more for the car that our Ozzy Friends
Thank the government and the high labour costs.

PhireSide

Executive Member
I mentioned the Arteon as an extension of Cr419's list of VW sedans.

Sadly my Metro 2033 joke went over this thread's head :(

marxgp

People in SA are not that into sedans anymore, it probably doesn't make financial sense to bring it in, like Peugeot with that pretty new 508 (I think) of theirs. Plus the normal Polo sedan is still available I assume, and then you still have the Jetta and the Passat above that. Many options if you want to buy VW.
Does anyone know what the figures for the sedans are? News articles bundle them together with the hatches.

Pox

Expert Member
Updated, they aren't bringing the Polo sedan here either as it's been labelled as the Virtus. I forsee a lot of sedans not coming to SA as the SA market is SUV's, Bakkies and Hatchbacks. The humble sedan is going the way of the station wagon or the MPV.
It's always a local preference. In Sweden 4 out of 5 cars are wagons...which are practical.... Here we go for the suv which it more expensive and in every way, worse than an equivalent wagon.

:shrugs

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
It's always a local preference. In Sweden 4 out of 5 cars are wagons...which are practical.... Here we go for the suv which it more expensive and in every way, worse than an equivalent wagon.

So swedes are smart and saffas are retards.

Lupus

Honorary Master

SUVs seem to be a world wide plague, and it seems to be moms who have chosen these things.

Cr419

Executive Member
SUVs seem to be a world wide plague, and it seems to be moms who have chosen these things.
So true, while I would love to own a hot hatch (or something like the Arteon), my next car will probably be an SUV of some sorts as my wife absolutely loves them. I prefer something lower that handles better when the crap hits the fan.

Lupus

Honorary Master
So true, while I would love to own a hot hatch (or something like the Arteon), my next car will probably be an SUV of some sorts as my wife absolutely loves them. I prefer something lower that handles better when the crap hits the fan.
I like sedans, but they are a dying breed :-(

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
You vacilate between a hatch, a gran coupe style and an suv? Jesus wept.

Cr419

Executive Member
You vacilate between a hatch, a gran coupe style and an suv? Jesus wept.
I had to go google the meaning of that word, you missed an L there by the way. It's sad but it's all academic anyway as I can't afford a new car now, or even anywhere in the near future.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Volkswagen Polo Vivo GT (2018) Quick Review

Facts & Figures

Price: From R245 000, as tested R256 399 (June 2018)

Engine: Turbocharged, 3-cylinder 1.0-litre petrol

Transmission: 6-speed manual

Power: 81 kW

Torque: 200 Nm

Fuel consumption: 4.6 L/100 km

0-100 kph: N/a

Top Speed: 196 kph

Price and warranty

The Volkswagen Polo Vivo GT is priced at R245 000 and is sold with a 3-year/120 000 km warranty. A service plan is optional.

Our test unit was equipped with optional Vienna leather upholstery and a Storage Package which brings the total vehicle price to R256 399.

Verdict

The Vivo GT has an aspirational element to it and it’s the kind of car that will appeal to buyers who dream of owning a Polo GTI or Golf GTI but can’t afford it. All the extra styling features on the Vivo GT go a long way in differentiating it from its more mundane Polo Vivo siblings and if you like your car to have a bit of a sporty look, then perhaps the Vivo GT will tickle your fancy.

It also offers sufficient power to get around town with a fair degree of pace and it handles nicely too. Some buyers might not like the firmer ride but it shouldn’t be a deal breaker. However, we feel that the Polo Vivo GT is overpriced and Volkswagen could have offered more standard features and safety specification to justify the asking price.

But even so, you are paying for the extra performance offered by its turbopetrol engine and at that price its power and torque outputs are unmatched. You will have to extend your budget to nearly R270k for the Clio GT-Line (88kW /205 Nm) to obtain similar outputs. In that sense, the Polo Vivo GT is certainly worth considering if you put a premium on performance.

https://www.cars.co.za/motoring_news/volkswagen-polo-vivo-gt-2018-quick-review/45142/

IMG_8684.JPG

IMG_8685.JPG

IMG_8686.JPG

IMG_8687.JPG

IMG_8688.JPG

IMG_8689.JPG

Wasabee!

Expert Member
Would you prefer hitting a pedestrian or cow with a sedan or suv? I would like a suv with a bar on it. If someone jumps in front of the car on the highway by the N2 here in CPT then at least it is safer for you in the suv. 300 years and not everything has been tamed.