VW Polo vs Hyundai i30. Which should I get?

Bl1zz4rd

Hi all! I hope everyone's having a good Friday :)

I made a post a while ago about more budget cars, but I've decided that I'd like to spend a bit more, and am trying to decide between two vehicles:

• VW Polo MK5 (6R) 1.6 Comfortline Auto
  • Hyundai i30 1.6 GLS/Premium Auto

They're both good cars, from what I can tell. Smooth ride, reasonably refined. Both have 6 speed auto boxes with semi-manual mode. Both have similar engine outputs, acceleration, and top speeds.

Am I correct in saying that the main difference would be the Hyundai has more kit as standard, and the VW has slightly better interior material quality? Those are the only things I can find (other than the Hyundai being a bit bigger, obviously).

Things that are important to me:

• Smooth ride (no jerky auto shifts, good with potholes)
  • Quiet cabin
  • Good real world fuel economy
  • Good resale value

Let's assume for the sake of this discussion that they both cost around the same, are both about 3 years old, are both in good condition, and both have around 50,000km on the clock.

Which do you think I should go for, and why?

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
Look at the warranty. Don't Hyundai have that 10yr/200 000km warranty? I would check that as VW services and parts are typically expensive.

genetic

Honorary Master
The build quality of the Polo is far superior to that of the tinbox i30.

Bl1zz4rd

Polo high risk
Higher insurance premiums because of hijackings? I've always wondered whether this is just because there are so many Polos on the road, rather than because they are actually singled out.

The build quality of the Polo is far superior to that of the tinbox i30.
It does have the expected VW solidness, which is great. All the added kit in the i30 is really appealing though. I'd be missing out on rear parking sensors, cruise control, electric folding mirrors, auto dimming rear view mirror, armrest, two extra airbags, etc. It's a long list.

Last edited:

Bl1zz4rd

but they actually are singled out as high risk car,

check the listings for most stolen cars in SA, its always there.
Yes, I'm not disputing that. But if that's based on number stolen, it could be because there are more out there, rather than because people want to hijack those specifically, over other cars.

I'd take the Hyundai everyday.
How come?

Lupus

Honorary Master
You'd get your requirements from both vehicles, the VW maybe a little better in some cases, but there is also VW perceived quality, when the little things start to break in the cabin, cup holders,clips and and. The VW is also higher insurance premiums and the warranty is only 3 years maybe less.

wolverine_dcp

Expert Member
Higher insurance premiums because of hijackings? I've always wondered whether this is just because there are so many Polos on the road, rather than because they are actually singled out.

It does have the expected VW solidness, which is great. All the added kit in the i30 is really appealing though. I'd be missing out on rear parking sensors, cruise control, electric folding mirrors, auto dimming rear view mirror, armrest, two extra airbags, etc. It's a long list.
Yes because of been stolen but who am I to talk,i drive a fortuner

Sumen

Expert Member
Hi all! I hope everyone's having a good Friday :)

I made a post a while ago about more budget cars, but I've decided that I'd like to spend a bit more, and am trying to decide between two vehicles:

• VW Polo MK5 (6R) 1.6 Comfortline Auto
  • Hyundai i30 1.6 GLS/Premium Auto

They're both good cars, from what I can tell. Smooth ride, reasonably refined. Both have 6 speed auto boxes with semi-manual mode. Both have similar engine outputs, acceleration, and top speeds.

Am I correct in saying that the main difference would be the Hyundai has more kit as standard, and the VW has slightly better interior material quality? Those are the only things I can find (other than the Hyundai being a bit bigger, obviously).

Things that are important to me:

• Smooth ride (no jerky auto shifts, good with potholes)
  • Quiet cabin
  • Good real world fuel economy
  • Good resale value

Let's assume for the sake of this discussion that they both cost around the same, are both about 3 years old, are both in good condition, and both have around 50,000km on the clock.

Which do you think I should go for, and why?

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!
These are 2 different segments, the i30 falls in the golfs segment instead of Polo's.

Yes Polo has better build quality and attention to detail than the Hyundai but it is a high risk vehicle.

The i30 would be my pick

eg2505

Honorary Master
because people want to hijack those specifically, over other cars.
fact is they do like to hijack that car specifically,
and its targeted many times over other cars, so id still say its high risk.

ozziej

I'm assuming you are looking at 2nd Hand?
(The polo is a 1.2TSI new model)

If you are really keen on new, wait for the new i30 as well.
It will be here quite soon. (New Elantra has just been released)
The polo is a high risk vehicle (no this isn't just an opinion)

If you are looking for something decent, have a look at the Opel Astra. It won COTY 2016. Shameless plug - I've got one. Its a fantastic vehicle.
The 1.0T Enjoy can be picked up for about the same as a polo.
Its bigger inside, better Spec'd (7" Touch Screen with android auto / apple car play)
Engine is more powerful.
etc.

$m@Rt@$$

Expert Member
The only downside to the Polo would be insurance on it. It is a high risk car as previously stated and makes for an expensive insurance debit order...

eg2505

Honorary Master
not defending the polo,

but if you have a really good insurance policy with a really good tracking device,

maybe one could live with the polo "high Risk" nature?

neilronaldson

but if you have a really good insurance policy with a really good tracking device,
i did the vw anti-hijack course - you know what they said about trackers.....GET RID OF THEM!!! because if you get hi-jacked and they ask you if there is a tracker and you say NO, they will check for one and if they find it - you going with....and that is not how you want it to play out, otherwise shoot your car - then they wont take it.

Bl1zz4rd

I'm assuming you are looking at 2nd Hand?
(The polo is a 1.2TSI new model)

If you are really keen on new, wait for the new i30 as well.
Definitely looking at second hand. Around 3 years old. The new ones look great, but out of my budget. I'm tired of comparing cars (have done for ages now), so I've settled on these two. Just need to pick between them :)

The only downside to the Polo would be insurance on it. It is a high risk car as previously stated and makes for an expensive insurance debit order...
That really wouldn't be ideal. I want to call Outsurance and compare the premium for i30 and Polo, but last time they made me go through a bunch of questions for half an hour to get the amount that it would change to. So I may have to do that twice today.

+1

Get the hyundai
I am leaning more towards the Hyundai at this point. Anyone know why they're pretty hard to find second hand? And not just autos, manuals too.

And do you guys think both these cars will retain their value in the same way? Or is VW stronger with that?

Lupus

Honorary Master
Definitely looking at second hand. Around 3 years old. The new ones look great, but out of my budget. I'm tired of comparing cars (have done for ages now), so I've settled on these two. Just need to pick between them :)

That really wouldn't be ideal. I want to call Outsurance and compare the premium for i30 and Polo, but last time they made me go through a bunch of questions for half an hour to get the amount that it would change to. So I may have to do that twice today.

I am leaning more towards the Hyundai at this point. Anyone know why they're pretty hard to find second hand? And not just autos, manuals too.

And do you guys think both these cars will retain their value in the same way? Or is VW stronger with that?
First mistake, don't go through outsurance, never go direct. Go through a broker