VW Polo vs Hyundai i30. Which should I get?

Archer

Honorary Master
First mistake, don't go through outsurance, never go direct. Go through a broker
Still waiting on a broker that can beat my premiums with Outsurance (been trying for 3 years now)... And by beat I mean under 50% more than what I'm paying now without stupid excesses, it's actually hilarious how much brokers want to charge me.

Said it before I'll say it again, people just need to find the right insurer for them and that can be direct or through a broker

Lupus

Honorary Master
Still waiting on a broker that can beat my premiums with Outsurance (been trying for 3 years now)... And by beat I mean under 50% more than what I'm paying now without stupid excesses, it's actually hilarious how much brokers want to charge me.

Said it before I'll say it again, people just need to find the right insurer for them and that can be direct or through a broker
That is exceptionally rare circumstances, as normally it's the other way around. Currently I am covered with two cars, home contents and excess waiver for what most people pay for just their car going direct.

Sumen

Expert Member
I am leaning more towards the Hyundai at this point. Anyone know why they're pretty hard to find second hand? And not just autos, manuals too.

And do you guys think both these cars will retain their value in the same way? Or is VW stronger with that?
they weren't as popular as the elantra's but Hyundai sold a reasonable amount.

The VW will be stronger but the Hyundai won't be too bad

Randhir

Honorary Master
I've got my i30 for just over a year now and still in love with it.

One thing that does need a firmware upgrade is the radio system though. Apart from that it's perfect.

EasyUp Web Hosting

EasyUp Web Hosting
Company Rep
I've got my i30 for just over a year now and still in love with it.

One thing that does need a firmware upgrade is the radio system though. Apart from that it's perfect.
Sorry for OT, but this is the case as well with my GF's new I10 Grand. Android phones work perfectly, but not the Apple. I would replace the radio anyway, as they are dated, even in the new cars.

Edit: BTW, Hyundai says there is nothing wrong with the radio. :-/ It just doesn't support Apple over bluetooth. :confused:

325i

+1 i30

Sister had 2, 1st gen and 2nd gen (currently still has this one) doesn't intend on selling it soon. Engine is good, enough power, manual 6 speed is quite smooth, also the sound system is quite good too.

They did have an issue with the rear view mirrors whereby the coating on the mirror dissolves or something, Hyundai replaced free of charge as it was under warranty (2nd gen). If you look after it it should last you long, she's had it since brand new (2012/2013) and has not had one complaint.

Randhir

Honorary Master
Sorry for OT, but this is the case as well with my GF's new I10 Grand. Android phones work perfectly, but not the Apple. I would replace the radio anyway, as they are dated, even in the new cars.

Edit: BTW, Hyundai says there is nothing wrong with the radio. :-/ It just doesn't support Apple over bluetooth. :confused:
My iPod works perfectly over Bluetooth. It's little things that irritate me, like no RDS, switching between functions between drives, a couple other minor issues.

Splinter

Honorary Master
i30 any day. As it is second hand, you don't have to worry about "resale".

Better equipment levels, better warranty, far more car for your money, less hi-jack risk etc

Splinter

Honorary Master
I am leaning more towards the Hyundai at this point. Anyone know why they're pretty hard to find second hand? And not just autos, manuals too.
I'm guessing here, but other than the fact there were far more polo's sold, the warranty on the hyundai means people can keep their cars with peace of mind, whereas with the over-hyped polo you only have a crappy 3 year warranty. And VW's are not as reliable as sheeple here in SA think they are...

Last edited:

Bl1zz4rd

That is exceptionally rare circumstances, as normally it's the other way around. Currently I am covered with two cars, home contents and excess waiver for what most people pay for just their car going direct.
Same here. I've been doing it direct with Outsurance for years, and they're great. Service delivery is excellent, always pay out, and always happy to reduce my premiums each year.

My iPod works perfectly over Bluetooth. It's little things that irritate me, like no RDS, switching between functions between drives, a couple other minor issues.
Have you asked Hyundai whether they are planning on releasing new firmware to fix this?

they weren't as popular as the elantra's but Hyundai sold a reasonable amount.

The VW will be stronger but the Hyundai won't be too bad
Cool, that's what I figured. If the difference isn't too large, I don't mind. So long as I'm paying it off faster than it's depreciating.

I just test drove another i30 now, and it was great. Steering was smoother than the Polo (it has modes), having all that extra tech was great, and it felt equally as premium and soft inside as the Polo. As did the ride quality. Gear shifts for auto weren't even noticeable, which is exactly what I'm looking for.

One thing I'm wondering about: do I need to worry about protecting metallic paint and do coatings through autoarmor or waxes and such? An old metallic Nissan I had got terrible sun damage-related clear coat peeling, that looked awful. I don't want that to happen with my replacement car. Dealers have said that they paint the newer ones better now, so with something like a 2013/2014, I won't have to worry about metallic damage. Is this true?

Ecko_1

An indication for future resale. Why is the i30 that is in the same segment as a Golf, comparable price wise to a mere Polo?

Hamster

Resident Rodent
An indication for future resale. Why is the i30 that is in the same segment as a Golf, comparable price wise to a mere Polo?
Because the i30 competes with the Golf and the i20 with the Polo

EasyUp Web Hosting

EasyUp Web Hosting
Company Rep
Same here. I've been doing it direct with Outsurance for years, and they're great. Service delivery is excellent, always pay out, and always happy to reduce my premiums each year.

Have you asked Hyundai whether they are planning on releasing new firmware to fix this?

Cool, that's what I figured. If the difference isn't too large, I don't mind. So long as I'm paying it off faster than it's depreciating.

I just test drove another i30 now, and it was great. Steering was smoother than the Polo (it has modes), having all that extra tech was great, and it felt equally as premium and soft inside as the Polo. As did the ride quality. Gear shifts for auto weren't even noticeable, which is exactly what I'm looking for.

One thing I'm wondering about: do I need to worry about protecting metallic paint and do coatings through autoarmor or waxes and such? An old metallic Nissan I had got terrible sun damage-related clear coat peeling, that looked awful. I don't want that to happen with my replacement car. Dealers have said that they paint the newer ones better now, so with something like a 2013/2014, I won't have to worry about metallic damage. Is this true?

Was the one you test drove the 1.6 or 2.0 ? Except for performance, do you know what other differences there are between the two?

thechamp

Honorary Master

Yes, just take good care of your car, avoid parking it in direct sunlight if you can, do take extra care if you don't park undercover, nothing extreme though, a good wash with wax shampoo and an occasional waxing should be just fine.

I've always thought the cars that had clear coat peeling are the ones that had suffered with sunlight dishwashing liquid, being washed in direct sunlight, did yours peel off on it's own?

Last edited:

Bl1zz4rd

i30 any day. As it is second hand, you don't have to worry about "resale".
I absolutely do. I will be selling it again in a few years, and vehicle depreciation rates differ.

It was cheaper to buy when it was new
Possibly. Looking at the Hyundai website now. New i30 prices go from R339000 to R365000. With VW, new Golf prices are from R294000 to R366000. However I found at least R11000 worth of Golf optional extras that come as standard with the i30. Different pricing models.

Was the one you test drove the 1.6 or 2.0 ? Except for performance, do you know what other differences there are between the two?
I’ve not known there to be a 2 liter. Do you mean 1.8? What I drove was an auto, and that only comes with a 1.6 liter engine. You can use this tool to compare the variants: http://www.hyundai.co.za/passenger-vehicles/compare/?model. Obviously that’s for the refreshed models. I use this website to compare models, and the older ones are there: http://car-specs.za.net.

Yes, just take good care of your car, avoid parking it in direct sunlight if you can, do take extra care if you don't park undercover, nothing extreme though, a good wash with wax shampoo and an occasional waxing should be just fine.

I've always thought the cars had clear coat peeling are the ones that had suffered with sunlight dishwashing liquid, being washed in direct sunlight, did yours peel off on it's own?
Thank you for the advice! :) I have a carport at home, but unfortunately have to park in direct sunlight at work for 8 hours a day. I will have to have it waxed, or have one of those sun coatings put on by AutoArmor.

Interesting! I never did anything like that, but I bought it from someone else. Not sure what they did, haha. It did just peel more and more over the years that I had it unfortunately. Mainly on the roof above the front and rear windscreens (Nissan said this is a common spot, and I’ve seen it on other cars like mine). Recently started on the boot lid. I’ve sold the car now. Just don’t want to have that again, so I want to find out how to prevent it properly.

Ecko_1

To properly protect your paint look for a reputable detailer. Get the paint corrected properly and do a glass coating or similar. It won't be cheap but the coating will last about 2 years depending on which product. I personally prefer the Gyeon coatings. Expect to pay in the R5k range.

Auto armor et al just scratch your paint and use a glaze that covers imperfections for a short time