VW Polo vs Hyundai i30. Which should I get?

Bl1zz4rd

To properly protect your paint look for a reputable detailer. Get the paint corrected properly and do a glass coating or similar. It won't be cheap but the coating will last about 2 years depending on which product. I personally prefer the Gyeon coatings. Expect to pay in the R5k range.

Auto armor et al just scratch your paint and use a glaze that covers imperfections for a short time
The paint on the car I looked at is not damaged at all from what I can tell. So would waxing it every so often, and the fact that it's only a few years old, not prevent there from being any metallic-related sun damage?

Splinter

Honorary Master
I absolutely do. I will be selling it again in a few years, and vehicle depreciation rates differ.
You misunderstand. The reason you are getting this good car for such a price is because the depreciation has mostly already happened. The depreciation levels mostly level off after the first couple of years. And like you said yourself, it's hard to find such a car. You will find a zillion polo's out of warranty though...

Splinter

Honorary Master
One thing I'm wondering about: do I need to worry about protecting metallic paint and do coatings through autoarmor or waxes and such?
I was told by someone who owns a car wash that these "autoarmour" products are basically an overpriced con-job.

A proper wash and wax by a decent provider using a proper product is good enough. But having said that, 8 hours a day in the sun will attack any paint job I reckon.

PhireSide

Executive Member
Another i30 owner checking in (2011 1.6)

I bought my i30 FD a bit over three years ago with a little over 150'000km on the odometer. Thus far I have had to replace the drop links (R525 for the pair from DAR Automotive) and the water pump collapsed three weeks after I bought it which was sorted out by the aftermarket warranty I had. Oh, and I had the original battery replaced last month as it was getting very tired.

I haven't had any other issues so far (on 241'000km now) and the car has been an absolute dream to own and drive. I bought it for a steal and insurance is really affordable too. There are some days I wish it had a bit more grunt, but nothing swapping a gear down won't fix. They do deliver their torque fairly high up in the rev range compared to a forced induction motor such as the Polo 1.2 TSI motor, but the car still feels very nippy and frugal.

Good luck with your choice!

Ocali

Expert Member
my 2c,

if the car gets stolen i dont want it back, so make sure you are insured and just by whatever you fall inlove with. thats all.

dont over think it

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Just make sure you have credit shortfall cover. It's the difference between retail and what you owe the bank expecially in the first 3yrs.

Bl1zz4rd

Hi all!

Just wanted to say thanks again to everyone who commented here, and helped me make my decision.

I collected a beautiful, 2013 Hyundai i30 today. Only 54000km. I drove home very confident that I'd made the right choice. I'll be spending the weekend driving people around and showing them all the new car tech features I now have! :D

Nirv

Hi all!

Just wanted to say thanks again to everyone who commented here, and helped me make my decision.

I collected a beautiful, 2013 Hyundai i30 today. Only 54000km. I drove home very confident that I'd made the right choice. I'll be spending the weekend driving people around and showing them all the new car tech features I now have! :D
Good choice, the i30 is excellent.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Hi all!

Good choice, most people fall for the VW trap :p