[W] Breville Barista Express

The_Hobbit

Honorary Master
My new toy. I will do a review when I get a gap.

View attachment 1025608
My fav toy.
It's not bad actually. Instead of waiting for stuff to heat up, I just stick the portafilter under the hot tap for a few seconds then dry it. Works well when it's warm.
Do spend a few minutes getting the timing and grind right, but be prepared to go through a bag of your fav beans lol.

RedViking

Nord of the South
My fav toy.
It's not bad actually. Instead of waiting for stuff to heat up, I just stick the portafilter under the hot tap for a few seconds then dry it. Works well when it's warm.
Do spend a few minutes getting the timing and grind right, but be prepared to go through a bag of your fav beans lol.
Yap. halfway through a bag now just playing around with the settings. I think two or 3 more shots and it will be dialed in. But then time to switch to a new bag. :ROFL:

Flippen things heats up within 15-30 seconds!!! wow. Heat up the portafilter being pulling an empty shot. But in the mornings I will let my wife switch it on when she wakes up (usually before me). Then it is ready for when I get up. Make my cup. Sit outside and watch the birdies.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
jissus, you okes earn way to much. I will stick to my supermarket instant coffee for now

Other Africana - large 32 ozs. net Van Riebeeck coffee tin size is 250mm  high x 135mm wide was sold for R300.00 on 29 Sep at 19:01 by pfvz in  Vereeniging (ID:242327290)

RedViking

Nord of the South
Thanks. Can't wait my Delonghi with a double boiler is dying on me again.
Sadly the life span of these machines are about the same time as the warranty, maybe a year or two extra.

If these were available and affordable as in other countries, it would have been my first choice.

1614108328345.png

Under normal circumstance they would go for R6000-R7000 and should last decades. Also easy to fix.

RedViking

Nord of the South
jissus, you okes earn way to much. I will stick to my supermarket instant coffee for now

Other Africana - large 32 ozs. net Van Riebeeck coffee tin size is 250mm  high x 135mm wide was sold for R300.00 on 29 Sep at 19:01 by pfvz in  Vereeniging (ID:242327290)
I put it on Credit card. But yeah, paying R500 a month to make myself a nice cup.

However. then there is the coffee. The milk. The filter every two months. The descaling. The cleaning tablets.

richjdavies

Expert Member
I put it on Credit card. But yeah, paying R500 a month to make myself a nice cup.

However. then there is the coffee. The milk. The filter every two months. The descaling. The cleaning tablets.
Descaling / cleaning. Can't you just use the tartic or acetic acid next to the baking powder in the store?
Also it's not like the water is hard in Cape Town... so descaling should not be required that often, surely?

A3@MBB

Maintenance costs aren't so bad.
Filters last long if you use "clean" water and I never had any scaling problems with my machine (BES860XL) over the last 6 years. Bought tablets when we got the machine, used it once and never bothered again.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur

Then I suppose it's worth it in the end.
I spend on average R1600 a month on beer