Wacky Wednesday at Steers today! Start your engines!

Do you like the Wacky Wednesday Special at Steers?

• Yes, and I prefer the hamburgers

Votes: 178 50.7%
  • Yes, and I prefer the chicken burgers

Votes: 65 18.5%
  • Yes, and I prefer the vegetarian burgers

Votes: 13 3.7%
  • No, I don't like Steers and/or the Wacky Wednesday Special

Votes: 95 27.1%

• Total voters

theratman

Executive Member
Yep, it's doubled in price in 8 years... but then... what hasn't?
Still a fairly good deal.
Burgers are adequate and decent sized. Taste is fairly good.
You can get a R50 Burger with Fries and Onion Rings at Spur.
This is like two of those without the sides.
Yeah price is fine but R50 for a burger at spur? Is that the new Monday special? Haven't been to spur in ages.

SAguy

Expert Member
My local steers had a similar fire a couple of months ago. They were closed for a couple of days, so seems like the damage wasn't too bad.

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
but never knew if oil got so hot it can catch fire ...
Video is blocked at the office, but just want to say this. A couple of weeks ago the wife forgot a pot of cooking oil on the stove. Its only when I opened the lid that the fumes hit me and I ran to the sliding door, huffing and puffing.

Genius that I was, I took the pot from the stove (lid removed) and the moment I stepped outside the whole fscking burst out in flames! But wait, there's more. I took the hosepipe to try and douse the flames...yep, even bigger ball of fire. :p

I.am.Sam

rehabilitated troller
haha need to remember this schit when using oil at home ..olive oil i noticed smokes a schit load quicker than other oils

sand_man

Honorary Master
but never knew if oil got so hot it can catch fire ...
All the oil had been drained from the machine. There was maybe just a litre or 2 at the bottom of the machine which hadn't been drained. So the frier was powered on and it took just under 4 minutes for it to go from cold to on fire.

Staff responded promptly though, so it was doused within seconds of igniting.

The only casualty was the oil in the frier next to the one that caught fire, had to be discarded. About 30 litres. Not taking a chance with fire extinguisher powder.

f2wohf

Honorary Master
Video is blocked at the office, but just want to say this. A couple of weeks ago the wife forgot a pot of cooking oil on the stove. Its only when I opened the lid that the fumes hit me and I ran to the sliding door, huffing and puffing.

Genius that I was, I took the pot from the stove (lid removed) and the moment I stepped outside the whole fscking burst out in flames! But wait, there's more. I took the hosepipe to try and douse the flames...yep, even bigger ball of fire. :p
Need a training in fire management? :laugh:

sand_man

Honorary Master
Need a training in fire management? :laugh:
Deep friers are the machines I fear the most in the kitchen. Nothing more dangerous. That and an extraction unit that hasn't been serviced at least annually.

In 20 odd years we've used the extinguishers maybe half a dozen times.

Once to put out a fire that started on the griller - drip tray below the burners had no water in it so dripping fat caught fire. That was especially hectic, cause it was Saturday night during dinner service.
Another time we had a ceiling light short and catch fire.
Couple of times on deep friers...

f2wohf

Honorary Master
Deep friers are the machines I fear the most in the kitchen. Nothing more dangerous. That and an extraction unit that hasn't been serviced at least annually.

In 20 odd years we've used the extinguishers maybe half a dozen times.

Once to put out a fire that started on the griller - drip tray below the burners had no water in it so dripping fat caught fire. That was especially hectic, cause it was Saturday night during dinner service.
Another time we had a ceiling light short and catch fire.
Couple of times on deep friers...
2 years ago, I fully burnt my hood and darkened the ceiling while flaming a steak with brandy and forgetting to put the hood off which sucked the flame in.

I can only imagine in an industrial kitchen with much more oil, heat, flames and a much larger extractor...

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Fortunately they knew to use the fire extinguisher instead of throwing water on it! Pro Tip! NEVER throw water on an oil fire!