WACS cable break - Slow SA Internet speeds

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
What i cannot understand is why is it that due to this one cable going down all of a sudden everything slows down. It is not like we do not have more cables around to reroute? Don't the ISP's have redundancy built in? Does no one use Seacom anymore?
Yes they do, but they don't have enough capacity on the other links to take all the additional traffic from the cable that is down.

mercurial

MyBB Legend
What i cannot understand is why is it that due to this one cable going down all of a sudden everything slows down. It is not like we do not have more cables around to reroute? Don't the ISP's have redundancy built in? Does no one use Seacom anymore?
Cables are social distancing...

Thor

Honorary Master
Starting to feel suspicious now, but who it to gain?

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
It takes time to provision, and setup new routes. Maybe.

internaut

I think that ship crew cant wait to get onto the ship and away from the mainland.

zoozi

What's the cause of these cable breaks all the time? Doesn't make sense how fragile they are if they can suffer 2 massive breaks a month after the other.

insect

I've been panic downloading for the last two weeks:p no buffering for me...

Moridin

I tried playing World Of Tanks. 430ms ping. It's a shitshow. Now what to keep me busy with?