WACS undersea cable launched in South Africa

MickeyD

RIP
The article creates the impression that only MTN and IS will benefit from WACS ....

Yuu

Executive Member
Now show me the headline where it says "WACS undersea cable launched giving consumers upto 80% cheaper bandwidth, MWEB first to respond" :p

whatwhat

Executive Member
yeah, no use having all this first world bandwith while we still paying third world prices with third world shaping policies.

R13...

Honorary Master
I heard some IT expert say this will reduce international bandwidth costs by 50%.

Why is mobile data so expensive though?

boswald

I am starting to feel that it does not matter how much the bandwidth price drops, but until Telkom come to the party and drop the ADSL rental charges it will always be expensive. :(

Qrox

Expert Member
Its always telkom.
No matter how many positive things happen in terms of internet in SA, its no use if telkom keeps being a bottleneck for the country.

saffakanera

Expert Member
138.5 milliseconds from ZA to UK, incredible, never thought I would see something like this in 2012... VIVA WACS!

gryster

All I'm hearing is BLAH BLAH BLAH. More money for greedy corporates and more butt-hole ravaging for us the consumers.

saffakanera

Expert Member
All I'm hearing is BLAH BLAH BLAH. More money for greedy corporates and more butt-hole ravaging for us the consumers.

heh, look I understand mybb is less technical and more about consumer rights etc, but this cable is seriously cool!

Creepster

Its great...until another lil tanker comes and plays fishing with its lil anchor on our fiber .....

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
So is it live now with commercial traffic flowing or still being tested?

Niren_M

Telkom's local infrastructure/network seems to be the only bottleneck now in the wider scheme of broadband.

abandonallhope

Expert Member
No matter which way you like to spin it, this is good news. We can only hope now that everybody makes the most of it.

Something that caught my eye in the article though :
“With the so-called “broadband abundance” now at our disposal, and in conjunction with ICASA’s laudable ruling on the IPC cost, we can expect to see enormous social and economic changes in the country.”

Say what ? broadband abundance ? Where ?

Officially 4mbps is still the fastest residential connection available, and if you want that on uncapped you are still going to pay just about R1000 p/m. On top of that we are still being smoked for data usage on the 3G networks as well.

stroebs

Expert Member
138.5 milliseconds from ZA to UK, incredible, never thought I would see something like this in 2012... VIVA WACS!

Sadly that's from landing station to landing station. Expect an additional 50 to 100ms on national networks.

Having sub-200ms latency to UK though... That would be a dream.

I hope that Mweb will jump onto this opportunity so communication to the BNet servers in UK for DIII will be amazing :D

twicode

Expert Member
I want clarity on when Telkom will upgrade line speeds. If all these cables don't get utilized it will be like SA daily throwing away food because there is no one to eat it.

MickeyD

RIP
I want clarity on when Telkom will upgrade line speeds. If all these cables don't get utilized it will be like SA daily throwing away food because there is no one to eat it.
You'll have to wait another month or so as Telkom are in a closed period until they release their results in June.

Mars

Honorary Master
Erm just a quick question. $650 million. Whats that in Rands?
R5.2 Billion?

Am I correct in saying that the E-toll system cost 3 times this?

techead

Honorary Master
Officially 4mbps is still the fastest residential connection available, and if you want that on uncapped you are still going to pay just about R1000 p/m. On top of that we are still being smoked for data usage on the 3G networks as well.

you okes have no faith. there is a lot happening around you if you read the news, and see what lengths telkom are going to, to bolster their network on various layers.

just take a look :)