WACS undersea cable launched in South Africa

MickeyD

RIP
you okes have no faith. there is a lot happening around you if you read the news, and see what lengths telkom are going to, to bolster their network on various layers.

just take a look :)
LIEZ!!! All of it... :p

Icko

Sadly that's from landing station to landing station. Expect an additional 50 to 100ms on national networks.

Having sub-200ms latency to UK though... That would be a dream.

I hope that Mweb will jump onto this opportunity so communication to the BNet servers in UK for DIII will be amazing :D

I have test running to see latency/ping to Germany www.spiegel.de is test and get about 200ms? Is that same as latency to UK or it is tested differently?

Just run it to www.bbc.co.uk and run around 200ms as well

Niren_M

attachment.php

Last edited:

techead

Honorary Master
Sadly that's from landing station to landing station. Expect an additional 50 to 100ms on national networks.

I hope that Mweb will jump onto this opportunity so communication to the BNet servers in UK for DIII will be amazing :D

then we are living the dream right now. I play WoW on 160-180ms to UK

dont know where you have been :p

saffakanera

Expert Member
@Niren

Isn't it amazing that SO much throughput can be carried through such a small draadjie!

saffakanera

Expert Member
then we are living the dream right now. I play WoW on 160-180ms to UK

dont know where you have been :p

lol, yes, allot of people inland getting JUUUUST under 200ms :) Hoping to break less than 190ms, and of course, guys in CT probably going to flying around 150-160ms.

4cer

Expert Member

i get 180ms .. on an uncapped account nogal :p so its not really that amazing. But it is Gold uncapped ;)

techead

Honorary Master
lol, yes, allot of people inland getting JUUUUST under 200ms :) Hoping to break less than 190ms, and of course, guys in CT probably going to flying around 150-160ms.

yup, if I go home now I can ping bbc.co.uk and I will get constant 159ms

also uncapped gold account

MickeyD

RIP
Once the network operators (not ISPs) have access to the new cable, they should be able to load balance their bandwidth between all the undersea cables available to them. This will bring about a better service for everyone. The issue is how the cable operators sell capacity to ISPs and how they are going to prioritise the different protocols.

Joe Average

Consumer internet connectivity prices are not dictated by cheap international traffic, but expensive national costs. We need more competition on in-land fibre infrastructure - then prices would start coming down. And guess who controls the most national fibre links ....!?!

abandonallhope

Expert Member
you okes have no faith. there is a lot happening around you if you read the news, and see what lengths telkom are going to, to bolster their network on various layers.

just take a look :)
What do you mean no faith ? If I get a little faith in telkom, will they upgrade my ADSL connection to 10mbps ? And remove my data cap and instead implement a more dynamic fair usage policy ?

We are seeing hundreds of articles about 20-40mbps ADSL and VDSL and mini exchanges and MSANs and you name it, but we can still only get 4mbps after 2 - 3 years of promises of 10 mbps ADSL. Speaking of which, the fastest I have ever seen a "10mbps" adsl line go is between 7 - 8mbps, even when the line syncs at 10240mpbs.

I have a very little bit of cautious faith that the ball has started to roll recently, but if you put too much faith in telkom the risk is just too high that they will trample it.

The point is, we are still some way from a "broadband abundance".

MickeyD

RIP
Consumer internet connectivity prices are not dictated by cheap international traffic, but expensive national costs. We need more competition on in-land fibre infrastructure - then prices would start coming down. And guess who controls the most national fibre links ....!?!
neotel, DFA and Broadband Infraco?

Arthur

Honorary Master
I'm no insider, but I suspect it's a lot cheaper to lay a fat undersea cable from Europe to SA than it is to bring significantly faster pipe to most users in SA. The so-called Last Mile is a huge challenge and will probably take decades to get to current Korean standards... I'm not holding my breath for dramatically reduced pricing. Rather than drop prices I suspect most operators will increase the caps. Also, we might at first see a reduction in contention ratios for so-called uncapped lines, but in time cost pressures will force this up again. For most of us the internet will be slow and limited for the forseeable future. Geographic realities and the Africa Factor prevail.

abandonallhope

Expert Member
Once the network operators (not ISPs) have access to the new cable, they should be able to load balance their bandwidth between all the undersea cables available to them. This will bring about a better service for everyone. The issue is how the cable operators sell capacity to ISPs and how they are going to prioritise the different protocols.

Will that also upgrade backhaul between exchanges, upgrade DSLAM's and roll out mini exchanges, and give us the possibility to upgrade our ADSL lines to 20mbps ? And maybe drive down total monthly costs ?

And will it also bolster our current 3G coverage, and enable VC/MTN/CellC to include a decent amount of data usage (IE : 200MB +) per month to their contracts ? (Redbull does it already : 500MB per month, admittedly not the greatest phone selection, but they show a little vision at least.)

That would be grand.

MickeyD

RIP
Will that also upgrade backhaul between exchanges, upgrade DSLAM's and roll out mini exchanges, and give us the possibility to upgrade our ADSL lines to 20mbps ? And maybe drive down total monthly costs ?

And will it also bolster our current 3G coverage, and enable VC/MTN/CellC to include a decent amount of data usage (IE : 200MB +) per month to their contracts ? (Redbull does it already : 500MB per month, admittedly not the greatest phone selection, but they show a little vision at least.)

That would be grand.
What DSLAMs? If the ZTE saga is cleared up the DSLAMs will be replaced....

abandonallhope

Expert Member
I'm no insider, but I suspect it's a lot cheaper to lay a fat undersea cable from Europe to SA than it is to bring significantly faster pipe to most users in SA. The so-called Last Mile is a huge challenge and will probably take decades to get to current Korean standards... I'm not holding my breath for dramatically reduced pricing. Rather than drop prices I suspect most operators will increase the caps. Also, we might at first see a reduction in contention ratios for so-called uncapped lines, but in time cost pressures will force this up again. For most of us the internet will be slow and limited for the forseeable future. Geographic realities and the Africa Factor prevail.

I agree, and also no insider here, but there are some things the layman can observe. Such as the fact that the current local copper loop in most metropolitan areas is definitely capable of doing speeds over 10mbps. The bottleneck is the bandwidth your local exchange is supplied with, and the equipment inside the exchange, like the DSLAMs. And that is also no trivial matter to upgrade, and it is happening, but it is nowhere near as daunting a task as replacing the local copper wires.

Last edited:

snail

Expert Member
so cut a long story short with all this international bandwidth now live......it is cheaper to get international bandwidth than local bandwidth? wouldn't surprise me! They better watch out...maybe government will decide to put import fees on international bandwidth as well just like they do with everything else that is cheaper to get hold of from other countries(sarcasm).